Jump to content
Paul Jensen

New member considering Tracer 900 GT

Recommended Posts

Greetings from North Dakota USA.

Tell me if you feel the 900 GT will fit my riding style and what, if anything I'd be displeased with.

Age 66, 5' 11", 32 inseam, 220#, like cruising around town (25 - 35 mph) and single person loaded bike touring / camping.

Currently have 2017 Versys 650 LT and love it except for snappy throttle and I feel is a little short on 75 mph interstate travel.

As a side note I've looked at the new BMW F900XR and like it but equipped with panniers it'll be $2K more that the GT.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would love that bike. The GT comes with a lot of upgrades and options. One of the most common complaints is wind buffeting over the windscreen. Theres  a lot of aftermarket touring screens available< I would recommend the Madstad. I was looking at used triumph tiger 800s most had a lot of miles.  I found that I could get a Brand new 2 year old 2017 FJ-09 off the show room for $7900. So I bought it in 2019. These things are a blast to ride. 

1.jpg

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a 2016 versys 650LT in our stable along with the FJ09. The versys is a great bike and I enjoy riding it from time to time...but my FJ, which is very similar to the Tracer GT, excels  in many categories, especially the power.  With a couple of tweaks these bikes don't take too much to make them great for each of our individual needs.

  • Thumbsup 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Paul and welcome.

The bike is tall but with a 32 inch inseam you should be fine.  The seat has two height setting and I am going to bet you will prefer the lower.  It is an excellent bike for solo touring.  It is light, agile and has roomy ergonomics.  The panniers a bit small but I can pack for traveling easily using a tailbag for a few items such as rain suit and tools etc.  As mentioned before the stock screen is pretty bad and creates a lot of buffeting at any height setting.  I think everyone gets an aftermarket screen.  Some of us find the stock seat uncomfortable for long days in the saddle.  I have toured on mine a bit but am looking for a replacement.  

Everything else about the bike is brilliant, especially the engine.  It makes more than enough power with a nice, flat torque curve.....pulls well from just about any rpm!  The only niggle is that the on/off fueling is a little abrupt in A mode but in standard or B it is just fine.  A reflash of the ECU will fix this as well as other benefits.  It's a good touring bike that can also be fun on twisty roads.    

  • Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum @Paul Jensen

 I have a 2019 Tracer GT and I'm very happy with the bike and with all of the features the bike has as standard equipment. The GT is a great bike to ride around town, that does not wear you out and she really shines on the open road. With the stock suspension properly set up she is fun to ride hard on twisty roads, My only real complaint is the wind noise. Take one for a test ride and I think you will be impressed. 

  • Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went from a 2008 Versys 650 to my 2015 FJ-09... the Versys was great but the FJ (Now Tracer) is better in most areas. Especially at putting a grin on your face. Not sure about the newer Versys.

One thing you mentioned was snappy throttle on the Versys. In my experience the Versys was much more smooth than the FJ. The newer Tracers are supposedly better but the FJ's combination of throttle by wire and torque make for a snatchy throttle at times. Most have flashed the ECU to smooth it out among other things (is. remove limiter, better air/fuel mix, etc).

That being said I think the GT/Tracer 900 or used FJ will fit your needs excellently. Just wanted to mention the throttle as I found the Versys to be much smoother than the FJ in terms of throttle.

 

  • Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the 2019 GT and very pleased with it. Does everything well, and some things superbly.

Depends how you ride it really, it is fast when you need it to be. Equally happy bimbling around, turns well at speed and at slow speed. As you say, to get the extras that the GT has as standard, that BMW will cost an arm and a leg. Been all over France on mine, and just planned the next tour around Wales and Scotland for July.

Take one out for a while, you'll love the sound, the handling and I bet you love the sheer brutality of it  if you let her loose!!

A good "cheaper" do it all bike 

  • Thumbsup 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Paul Jensen said:

Age 66, 5' 11", 32 inseam, 220#, like cruising around town (25 - 35 mph) and single person loaded bike touring / camping.

Currently have 2017 Versys 650 LT and love it except for snappy throttle and I feel is a little short on 75 mph interstate travel.

The Tracer GT is a fantastic bike, no question.  It would be hard to find a better do-it-all bike in its price range that is as well equipped.

But...  The Versys 650 (which you claim you love) is a great bike and an ECU flash for $300 will smooth out the throttle and a $25 (+1 tooth) front sprocket will make it a little more friendly at highway speeds.  Sure, you wont have the creature comforts of the GT but you will keep $13k in your wallet.

  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree and you are spot on.

If I were to alter the gearing I'd change the rear from 47 to 44, as others have done this with the results I'm seeking.

I am selling one toy and will have the money for a new one & it seems the 900 GT fits my interests. 

I need to learn more about the CPU and fuel on/off flashing you and others refer to.

I wonder who does it, why the factory wouldn't offer this (unless this is what riding modes does) and is it the on/off throttle motion that causes the jolting or snappy on/off?

Thanks for the reply...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paul Jensen said:

I need to learn more about the CPU and fuel on/off flashing you and others refer to.

I wonder who does it, why the factory wouldn't offer this (unless this is what riding modes does) and is it the on/off throttle motion that causes the jolting or snappy on/off?

Bike manufacturers have to comply with EPA regulations and one of the ways to achieve compliance is lean fuel mapping as well as fuel cut off on deceleration, some bikes react differently to the lean conditions.  An ECU flash will come integrated with a dyno optimized fuel map along with other "fixes" to make the bike run better.

Custom Flashing Service:(Stock Exhaust)

– Disable Injector Decel Cut
– Professional fuel map modification to suit stock exhaust
– Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE
– Optimized timing maps for 91+ octane
– Disable AIS valve (always closed)
– Reduce Fan Temps 205°F
– Speedometer Calibration
– Default to A-mode (If requested)
– ECU Based Quickshifter

There are many tuners who offer an ECU flash, 3 of the most popular tuners are 2wheeldynoworks, Vcyclenut and Ivans Performance.

  • Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, betoney said:

Bike manufacturers have to comply with EPA regulations and one of the ways to achieve compliance is lean fuel mapping as well as fuel cut off on deceleration, some bikes react differently to the lean conditions.  An ECU flash will come integrated with a dyno optimized fuel map along with other "fixes" to make the bike run better.

Custom Flashing Service:(Stock Exhaust)

– Disable Injector Decel Cut
– Professional fuel map modification to suit stock exhaust
– Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE
– Optimized timing maps for 91+ octane
– Disable AIS valve (always closed)
– Reduce Fan Temps 205°F
– Speedometer Calibration
– Default to A-mode (If requested)
– ECU Based Quickshifter

There are many tuners who offer an ECU flash, 3 of the most popular tuners are 2wheeldynoworks, Vcyclenut and Ivans Performance.

 On the 2019 Tracer GT and up you can have the 40mph and fourth gear restriction removed.  That way you can run 15mph in first gear in a school zone👍


He who dies with the most toys wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t speak for the new GT, I have a ’15 model and the original throttle was so choppy as to be almost unrideable. After the ECU flash it’s much better, but not good (kinda like the early 2000’s Oilheads used to surge). I feel it the most on super tight roads where smooth roll off and roll on are required. The imprecise nature of the throttle is noticeable. The other place I feel it is at 35 MPH holding a steady speed. Or I should say trying to hold a steady speed. The throttle catches and lunges forward for half a second, then cuts, then lunges, and cuts. The only way I can ride in town is to slowly accelerate from 35 to 40 and then slowly decal back to 35, then up again. This is one of the reasons I still grab my 1st gen SV650 when I ride in town.


’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, maximo said:

The only way I can ride in town is to slowly accelerate from 35 to 40 and then slowly decal back to 35, then up again.

Although I agree that in stock form the throttle is a bit too snatchy.... My experience is not nearly this bad. Especially after my flash. I easily can hold a steady speed not matter the mph.

  • Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

Although I agree that in stock form the throttle is a bit too snatchy.... My experience is not nearly this bad. Especially after my flash. I easily can hold a steady speed not matter the mph.

Agreed.  And if you have a '15 or '16 model, adjusting the APS is further improvement - and its FREE.

  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, betoney said:

Agreed.  And if you have a '15 or '16 model, adjusting the APS is further improvement - and its FREE.

Having recently done this on my 2015 model I can attest to this comment in spades. Big difference. 👍

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×