• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Yamaha Extended Warranty Question

Have any of our members purchased the Yamaha Extended Service plan and did you benefit from doing so?  Any issues with filing a claim?  

I received a letter from Yamaha offering the service and it is a bit expensive.  Considering the stellar reliability I have had with Japanese bikes I am reluctant to make a purchase but wanted to hear from those that have used the product.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

@johnmark101 I bought the extended warranty from the dealer when I bought the bike. They would only knock a few hundred dollars of the list price of the bike but gave me a good trade in on my BMW S1000rr. I said I would take the deal if they gave me the extended warranty for half price and they accepted. The dealer files all the claims for you so that is not a problem.The real question is do you trust and want the dealer to work on your bike, I'm lucky I have a very good dealer and I have bought way to many bikes from them.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member

I got the extended warranty on my 2015. Because it was a first generation of the FJ-09. The clutch cable broke and the cct was replaced at no cost but I believe those were TSB's and would have been covered either way. The only problem I've had that would have been a warranty claim is a catastrophic failure of the front brake master cylinder. Bike has 37,000 miles. YMMV 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member

I hadn't purchased a bike in 30 years, so I felt a little more comfortable buying the extended warranty.

The dash had moisture inside and was replaced under warranty. Simple process. Service Manager took care of everything. So far so good.

Dan

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

The dealer files all the claims for you so that is not a problem.The real question is do you trust and want the dealer to work on your bike, I'm lucky I have a very good dealer and I have bought way to many bikes from them.

Agreed.  Having a good dealer makes all the difference.  Whenever I have had a warranty replacement on my bike it was at the service managers insistence, I never had to ask or press the issue and yes, paperwork, parts and labor are covered.  I love my local Yamaha dealer, they have always taken care of me.

I have the Y.E.S. coverage and have replaced both front brake calipers and brake pads, the 12v power outlet and the clutch basket.  And the service manager is doing some research with one of the techs concerning replacing the ABS actuator pump.   I've been having some funky braking issues when ABS is activated, so they have a new actuator on order.

I believe I paid a little over $400 for the 4 year extended coverage and at least in my case, it has paid for itself.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Have any of our members purchased the Yamaha Extended Service plan and did you benefit from doing so?  Any issues with filing a claim?  

I received a letter from Yamaha offering the service and it is a bit expensive.  Considering the stellar reliability I have had with Japanese bikes I am reluctant to make a purchase but wanted to hear from those that have used the product.

Extended warranties are far and away rarely worth what folks pay for them. Have only ever considered them for first year models or a vehicle that had a major repair during the standard warranty period.

With my Versys, it had a warranty repair at 6 months that was 50% of the value of the bike so just before the factory warranty ran out went on ebay and bought a Good Times extended warranty from a big box multi brand dealer in Colorado at half what Kawasaki started out asking. Didn't use it. 

My '15 being first model year and some of the valve issues reported here made me think about one the final month of standard warranty. Called the same dealer and they said the manufacturers will no longer allow them to undercut dealers that are in states with regulated insurance rates. Cali is such a state so they wouldn't sell to me. Florida and Washington are similar. At the time I was piling up a lot of miles and decided to get it. My commute situ changed so mileage hasn't been high and with 8 months left on the extended haven't used it. You can be sure I'll be doing a valve check before it runs out regardless of mileage lol. 

Since you're in KY if you really want one consider waiting till it's near out of factory warranty then go shopping on ebay. 

Edited by chitown

• Premium Member

Again, being a15 I bought new in 16, and having heard about the CCT issue (even though there is a TSB fix) and tight valves, I shopped around and bought the 4 year YES for like under $350 from dealer in MO.  I may check my valves myself again before it's up this June.  I was putting on the miles until 18 when I changed jobs, so I have only 35k miles now but with my luck something untoward will happen as soon as it expires.

My original warranty expires in Mar 2020.  I will likely do Y.E.S. for the peace of mind. 

I see this site doing the coverage at a discount rate, $443 (+6% MI sales tax) versus Yamaha $590.  Noting the comments above about some states not allowing the undercutting (I am in VA), are these guys legit?

Buy Yamaha Extended Service Warranty Plans Online at...

• Premium Member

I do a couple of cross country trips a year and few 500+ mile days most months. i got it because i'll have 100K miles on the bike before it times out. Look on the interwebz and you can find them for usually half what the dealer you're buying from tries to charge. Use that as a bargaining point.

Let’s go Brandon

• 1 year later...
On 2/13/2020 at 8:56 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Again, being a15 I bought new in 16, and having heard about the CCT issue (even though there is a TSB fix) and tight valves, I shopped around and bought the 4 year YES for like under $350 from dealer in MO.  I may check my valves myself again before it's up this June.  I was putting on the miles until 18 when I changed jobs, so I have only 35k miles now but with my luck something untoward will happen as soon as it expires.

So $443 four years later is probably as good of a deal as we're going to find.  I kind of like the "trip" insurance aspect of it.  But I realize it's a gamble.  The one that has me thinking about it is another post that listed prices for some of the electronics.  Those are the things that I don't see a "bush fix" for.  Go ahead...I just set someone up for a good joke.

• Thumbsup 1

I bought an aftermarket warranty with my bike.  I dont expect to use it but just in case.  It will be good at a lot of shops so not limited to dealers.  One factor was the dealer did me right on the trade and picked it up as a way to I've them a bit more business.  Don't do quite as many trips as @micah2074 but still do a lot of long distance miles and a good warranty might be nice to have.  My BMW broke down in Grand Island Nebraska last summer and it would have been nice to have had a warranty with some coverage of transportation.

• Premium Member
On 5/12/2021 at 11:11 PM, PhotoAl said:

I bought an aftermarket warranty with my bike.  I dont expect to use it but just in case.  It will be good at a lot of shops so not limited to dealers.  One factor was the dealer did me right on the trade and picked it up as a way to I've them a bit more business.  Don't do quite as many trips as @micah2074 but still do a lot of long distance miles and a good warranty might be nice to have.  My BMW broke down in Grand Island Nebraska last summer and it would have been nice to have had a warranty with some coverage of transportation.

Which aftermarket warranty did you get exactly?

• Supporting Member

I have till end of June before I have to decide if I will purchase the YES extended warranty. 

YES plans

I like the TRIP benefit...

About Y.E.S.

By adding Yamaha Extended Service — Y.E.S. — to your Yamaha, you get a solid protection plan designed and administered by Yamaha just for discriminating Yamaha owners like you. It's coverage that can help you steer around the inconvenience of repairs. Look at the benefits Y.E.S. delivers:

Nationwide coverage.

Have the nationwide network of Yamaha dealers behind you.

Uninterrupted genuine Yamaha coverage.

Y.E.S. takes over automatically when your original factory warranty expires.

Affordable protection.

Years of Y.E.S. coverage for a fraction of the cost of just one major repair bill.

No deductible.

There's complete coverage on mechanical defects* — you don't have to pay anything.

Increase value on your Yamaha.

Your Y.E.S. protection plan is transferable, which can increase your Yamaha's value if you decide to sell or trade it in later.

TRIP benefit.

Y.E.S. coverage automatically includes TRIP — Travel and Recreation Interruption Protection that's in effect from the date of Y.E.S. plan purchase, even during the factory warranty period. With TRIP, expenses related to a covered failure can be covered as well, up to $150 per occurrence. This means unexpected food or lodging expenses, transportation expenses, even a rental vehicle can be covered - and that's each time you have a covered warranty or Y.E.S. repair.