Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
davlec

TPS DIAG question

Recommended Posts

When in DIAG for the TPS I've noticed that it jumps five numbers, from 15 to 20 at minimal throttle opening then it rises to a maximum of 99 without missing a number.

The APS rises from closed throttle to full throttle without missing a number, as it should. 

I need to know if this is normal. Hopefully someone either knows the answer or can check their 15 or 16 Tracer.

Edited by davlec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the difference between APS and TPS? I had thought they were the same thing.


Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BBB said:

What is the difference between APS and TPS? I had thought they were the same thing.

APS and TPS are two different sensors on the throttle body. The APS (accelerator position sensor) is connected to the twist throttle on the bars by cables and tells the ECU how much throttle the rider wants and signals the servo motor to move the throttle valves (butterflies). The TPS (throttle position sensor) tells the ECU the position of the throttle valves which then makes continual adjustments based on input from the various sensors. This happens about 1000 times a second. 

  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, davlec said:

When in DIAG for the TPS I've noticed that it jumps five numbers, from 15 to 20 at minimal throttle opening then it rises to a maximum of 99 without missing a number.

The APS rises from closed throttle to full throttle without missing a number, as it should. 

I need to know if this is normal. Hopefully someone either knows the answer or can check their 15 or 16 Tracer.

No mate that is not normal. Sounds like the TPS has a dead spot. I would be pulling the multi meter out to confirm. Plenty of videos showing how to test them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

No mate that is not normal. Sounds like the TPS has a dead spot. I would be pulling the multi meter out to confirm. Plenty of videos showing how to test them.

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my post that I've done that and it's in spec. That's why I need to know about the diag readout that others get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the tests you can do with a multimeter is to go through the resistance range and make sure it gradually changes. There should be no dramatic steps and should be very linear. You should be able to pin point the dead spot easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

One of the tests you can do with a multimeter is to go through the resistance range and make sure it gradually changes. There should be no dramatic steps and should be very linear. You should be able to pin point the dead spot easily.

I agree. I was hoping someone could answer the question before I had to take the throttle body off. I'll do that over the weekend. At 103,000 kms it won't hurt to give it all a clean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, davlec said:

I agree. I was hoping someone could answer the question before I had to take the throttle body off. I'll do that over the weekend. At 103,000 kms it won't hurt to give it all a clean. 

The dash diagnostics is a less accurate way of testing. But if that is showing a issue I would be ordering a TPS. My throttle bodies needed a good clean at 40k. Made a big difference to the bike running too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't checked mine yet, but in assuming this is my issue as well... 

While riding hard, occasionally I'll go from 50% or more throttle to 0% and the bike will surge/hiccup while slowing as if the throttle had been opened up again briefly. It's driving me crazy. I'm guessing a faulty APS or TPS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, com3 said:

I haven't checked mine yet, but in assuming this is my issue as well... 

While riding hard, occasionally I'll go from 50% or more throttle to 0% and the bike will surge/hiccup while slowing as if the throttle had been opened up again briefly. It's driving me crazy. I'm guessing a faulty APS or TPS. 

I also read the FZ09.org forum daily and there are a few posts with similar issues, either decelerating and the rpms surge or coming to a stop and the bike dying.  The popular belief is a faulty TPS. 

Coincidentally, the same happened with my truck (5-speed) not too long ago, come to a stop light and the rpm would fluctuate +/- 500rpm above or below normal idle.  Swapped the TPS and it idles smooth as silk now.

  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, betoney said:

I also read the FZ09.org forum daily and there are a few posts with similar issues, either decelerating and the rpms surge or coming to a stop and the bike dying.  The popular belief is a faulty TPS. 

Coincidentally, the same happened with my truck (5-speed) not too long ago, come to a stop light and the rpm would fluctuate +/- 500rpm above or below normal idle.  Swapped the TPS and it idles smooth as silk now.

Mine will sometimes have a high idle too...like, 2200rpm. Sounds like that's in issue! Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×