Fixed my hideous rear-end

• Premium Member

I have always hated the hideous monstrosity of a tail end that Yamaha created for the 2020 Tracer 900. It sticks out too far beyond the side bags, and looks dorky. I replaced mine with a BlasterX tail light (multiple flashing options and seriously better visibility for cars coming up behind you) and the Yoshimura tail tidy to tuck the license plate under the seat,  and clean up the look of the rear of the bike.(last picture is my bike

691827274_ScreenShot2020-02-16at9_45_31AM.thumb.png.5c9c2ecf82f6b35e51ac1d853913dd63.png

402569092_ScreenShot2020-02-16at9_45_50AM.thumb.png.91defdf32f5e0a5c5b8cb8c3ca3c8d91.png

845555368_ScreenShot2020-02-16at10_07_46AM.thumb.png.3bd8054667d70556d3eb438d62920b58.png

End

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, DavidS said:

I have always hated the hideous monstrosity of a tail end that Yamaha created for the 2020 Tracer 900. It sticks out too far beyond the side bags, and looks dorky. I replaced mine with a BlasterX tail light (multiple flashing options and seriously better visibility for cars coming up behind you) and the Yoshimura tail tidy to tuck the license plate under the seat,  and clean up the look of the rear of the bike.(last picture is my bike

Now that you have had the newer Tracer for a little while, how are you liking it compared to your previous FJ?  Specifically with handling, do you notice the added stability of the longer swingarm?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Well, I have been commuting to work on it daily, but still haven't had a chance to get out and ride the mountains, or even seriously twisty roads. As everyone in the Pacific Northwest knows, it has been raining pretty much every day since last December.

That being said, here are my observations....

The bike is very familiar, and yet different all at the same time. The longer wheel base is welcome, the bike feels more stable, and handles corners better than the old FJ 09. Wheel turns in quicker and is very stable in the corners. I think some of that is the improved suspension. The suspension is much better, but still not as good as other bikes I have had. I plan on bringing it in to my favorite suspension shop and have them tune it for my weight and riding style. I think once that is done, it will be fine. The stock seat still sucks, I have been trying to make it work, but I've just about given up. I'll likely be getting another corbin seat in the next month or so.

The bike comes with many of the features I had added aftermarket to my old 2015 FJ, but it also has some newer features too. New windscreen still isn't as good as the Madstad I had on my FJ09, and I now have a new Madstad on my Tracer. Grip Warmers and Cruise control are standard on the Tracer, I could only install one or the other on the FJ.

Most importantly, the engine feels the same, which is great news. The reason we all buy the FJ/Tracer is because of that engine. I still can't get off the bike without a smile on my face, and I've been riding this engine since 2015. Every time I get myself worked up to go buy another motorcycle, I get all excited about one model or another, go on a test drive, and realize I like what I have better. Nothing compares to the Tracer's triple.

So to answer your question, the longer swingarm provides a bit more stability, but I really need some dry days to run over the mountain passes to see how it handles on a more technical ride. I don't really have any concerns, and I'm anxious to get the chance, it's just been raining every day here for a very long time.......

Hope this helps, and feel free to ping me with specific questions....

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 3

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, DavidS said:

The stock seat still sucks, I have been trying to make it work, but I've just about given up. I'll likely be getting another corbin seat in the next month or so.

Another option to consider is Rich's Custom Seats just across the water in Kingston.  Measured, fitted and constructed specifically for you, plus free alterations and adjustments to make it perfect. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I gave up - I ordered my Corbin seat yesterday, expect it to arrive in about 3 weeks.

I had a Corbin seat with my 2015 FJ 09, and loved it, hoping they haven't changed a thing.....

On 2/16/2020 at 1:09 PM, DavidS said:

691827274_ScreenShot2020-02-16at9_45_31AM.thumb.png.5c9c2ecf82f6b35e51ac1d853913dd63.png

402569092_ScreenShot2020-02-16at9_45_50AM.thumb.png.91defdf32f5e0a5c5b8cb8c3ca3c8d91.png

845555368_ScreenShot2020-02-16at10_07_46AM.thumb.png.3bd8054667d70556d3eb438d62920b58.png

End

Even though I like what you have done with the clean up of the rear of your new bike...I think the best improvement in the rear is your choice in rear tire!

Looks so much cleaner with the tidy tail and the blaster x. I've been working on a change to the stock tail that i think will work nicely to clean the look up a bit. But if that doesn't work out ill go with a aftermarket tidy tail.

How is the blaster x for turn signal visibility? My buddy had one on his fz06 and i found it hard to pick out the turn signals especially if he was braking.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, ABlast82 said:

Looks so much cleaner with the tidy tail and the blaster x. I've been working on a change to the stock tail that i think will work nicely to clean the look up a bit. But if that doesn't work out ill go with a aftermarket tidy tail.

How is the blaster x for turn signal visibility? My buddy had one on his fz06 and i found it hard to pick out the turn signals especially if he was braking.

Visibility of the turn signals is very good, the Blaster-X has the turn signals (yellow blinking color)  on the left and right ends of the tail light. The center of the light is still red. My riding buddies all say it is hard to miss when I"m braking and turning. I have to take their word for it, as I can't see the lights when I'm riding...... Might be the actual size of the rear brake light on other bikes, I can see if your tail light is smaller than the Tracer it might be an issue, but it looks pretty good to me on our bikes.

Blaster-X also allows you to customize the brake light pattern which also increases your visibility. Many people have commented that the pattern really catches their attention. This is my second Blaster X unit, I had one on my old FJ 09, and re-purchased when I bought my Tracer 900 GT.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, brewhaha said:

Whats involved in doing this? This unit, plus a relay? And do you have to get another tag holder?

It looks great.

Two Steps, 1) replace the tail light with the Blaster-x, 2) install the Yoshimura Tail eliminator

Step 1

1. Swap out the stock rear brake light with the blaster-x
  2. Connect the Blaster-x wires where the stock wires were connected
  3. Program the blaster-x to select the pattern of the blinking you want.
    1. Blaster-x recommends using a relay, but I didn't find the flashing that much faster than before, so I just didn't install the relay to slow it down. (Something about LED vs standard flashing that someone with more electrical know-how can weigh in on)

Step 2

If you want the Yoshimura tail piece, you will have a few more steps:

1. install the Yoshimura tail eliminator, which allowed me to mount the license plate holder back under the seat. I did have to connect the license plate lighting wires to my fuze block. (You can also just splice them to another switched wire on the bike as well)
  2. Another note, there is a 1" x 1"square hole right where the old tail piece bolts to the bottom of the seat. This provides access to the stock electrical connections for the license plate light.  Without the old tail assembly, I found that lot of water was being sprayed up into the seat, especially if it was raining outside. (An almost daily situation in Seattle)  My solution was just to tape both the bottom and top of the seat over the open square with waterproof tape. The tape keeps the wires from moving around, and everything stays dry.

Honestly, it was a very simple modification.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brewhaha said:

Whats involved in doing this? This unit, plus a relay? And do you have to get another tag holder?

It looks great.

If you keep the pumpkin rear turn sigs it is a straight plug n play with no relay change required. The Blaster is MUCH brighter than stock tail light and also adds a turn blink segment along in unison with the pumpkins to improve conspicuity

Big safety improvement IMHO.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09