Bridgestone S22 on sale for $199 a set

betoney

• Supporting Member
40 minutes ago, betoney said:

I wanted to share info on a tire sale.

If anyone is looking for GREAT performing sport tires at a great price, these tires cant be beat. 

You like them, I trust?   I‘ve been a die hard Michelin guy for decades, but my current Road 5s are toast at less than 5k miles, which is a bit disappointing.    I’m REALLY tempted to try something different this time around... 

And the Dunlop RoadSmart II's are about 161.76 a set. These are sport touring tires

dun_19_tir_roa_sma_ii-rea.jpg

*The Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II is a re-emergence of the...

$94.88 for the rear and;

dun_19_tir_roa_sma_ii-fro.jpg

*The Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II is a re-emergence of the...

$66.88 for the front. Just another choice out there.   😁

Edited by tktplz
  • Thanks 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

You like them, I trust?   I‘ve been a die hard Michelin guy for decades, but my current Road 5s are toast at less than 5k miles, which is a bit disappointing.    I’m REALLY tempted to try something different this time around... 

I have used 3 sets of the S21's and now have the S22's, they are great sport tires.  They heat up quickly, are super sticky and will far outperform the capabilities of the average rider.  I have used them for mountain and canyon twisties as well as road trips with long highway stretches and average just over 5,500 miles per set.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

@tktplz I have a set on my bike now. These a last generation tread with a tweaked rubber compound probably mfr'd at a 2ndary facility. 

A shop told me these were introduced to directly compete with Shinko. 

I probably won't buy another set.

1 got my 2nd flat in 20 years on one. Whatever I rolled over on the street in the dark went all the way through the belts. Never had that happen. 

This is what spooked me about the tire, though: A couple of weeks ago I had a front tire slide with temps in the 40s in town. The last time that happened was on Dunlop GT501s, basic street tires. 

I do a lot of commuting and they might flat spot a little quicker than Roadsmart IIIs. That will always happen to my tires, though. 

Can't test the 40 degree weather. I don't ride in temps below my age, LOL! 60  or above for me. And no I don't think they weren't put out to compete with Shinko. They have been out for years before they made the newer model of RoadSmart III's. They used to cost like RoadSmart III's too. I get about 3,600 miles out of a rear tire just because I'm a bit hard on tires. Used to run AVON 79's on my ZRX1100 but only got 1,200 miles a rear out of those but man were they confidence inspiring. Yeah, don't use Shinkos, they have shook on the front over 100 mph both times I tried them. I'm still a 2 rears to 1 front kind of guy. A lot of the guys on here go through a set at a time. I have a tendency to slide the rear a bit going into curves. Just the way I grew up riding. Tried to smooth it out the last few years but old dog isn't learning new tricks, YMMV.

Edited by tktplz

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, tktplz said:

And no they weren't put out to compete with Shinko. They have been out for years before they made the newer model of RoadSmart III's. They used to cost like RoadSmart III's too. I get about 3,600 miles out of a rear tire just because I'm a bit hard on tires... I'm still a 2 rears to 1 front kind of guy. A lot of the guys on here go through a set at a time. I have a tendency to slide the rear a bit going into curves. Just the way I grew up riding. Tried to smooth it out the last few years but old dog isn't learning new tricks, YMMV.

Right. The IIs were taken off the market when the IIIs were brought out. The IIs were reintroduced at a lower price point to compete with Shinkos. 

I dont think these IIs are quite the same as the old ones.  I didn't have front tire slides with the old ones, even the FJ OEs. I didn't have such bad flat spotting (although that could be my commute) so fast. And I certainly didn't have a puncture all the way through the belt. 

My point is that I'm not seeing the same durability or grip on the current IIs as the old ones that cost 50% more. You do get what you pay for.

10 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Right. The IIs were taken off the market when the IIIs were brought out. The IIs were reintroduced at a lower price point to compete with Shinkos. 

I dont think these IIs are quite the same as the old ones.  I didn't have front tire slides with the old ones, even the FJ OEs. I didn't have such bad flat spotting (although that could be my commute) so fast. And I certainly didn't have a puncture all the way through the belt. 

My point is that I'm not seeing the same durability or grip on the current IIs as the old ones that cost 50% more. You do get what you pay for.

Cool, I will watch for this. I'm just putting on my 1st set of these. Bought 2 rears and 1 front. My 1st trip is to The Hill Country in Texas that is known for chewing thru tires, chip seal deluxe is the coating on the roads there. Known to go thru 1/2 worn tires in a weekend so most of us now go to The Hill Country with new tires. Too many of us have been bitten. We will also see if I get the mileage out of the rears I have gotten, 3,200 to 3,600 on ZX11's and ZRX1100's. Much heaver bikes. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Hi Betoney!

Bt16, s20,s21

Great tires.

Thanks for the heads up.

Will get a set.

Using roadsmart III currently. Wanted to see if I could get longer life. Doing ok, about 5k on them, starting to get flat center on the rear and some cupping on the front.

Spent 15 years in N GA, TN, NC on sport bikes... Tires were a constant purchase....

Love sticky tires

See ya

bill

• Like 1

I have used the S20, 21, & 22’s on my bikes since they came out, for a sticky street tire they perform well over varying conditions and temperatures. I can’t say how they do on an FJ/Tracer 900, I don’t own one yet, I joined the forum to learn and gain info on this bike as it will probably be my next bike. But on a 2011 Daytona 675 and a 2017 FZ 10, and my riding style a rear lasts about 3k miles, you could do 2 fronts to rear but I usually change tires in pairs, I’m fortunate in not having to pay for mounting and balancing, I have access to a NoMar changer setup. I also have a cast wheel Tiger 800 with a 19”F and 17”R and run sport touring tires that are available for it, I liked the Metzeler Roadtec 01’s and Continental RoadAttack 2 EVO, and mileage is 6-7k miles per set, but I’m hard on tires. Most riders should get better life out of tires than me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 2/18/2020 at 7:41 PM, texscottyd said:

The new version of the Dunlop RS2 are not the same as the originals or the FJ09 OEM.

Check the manufacture date, which ended for the original RS 2 in 2017, maybe as late as early 2018.

The new RS 2 do not perform or wear as well as the original RS 2 and of course the RS 3 but for the money are better than any Shinko and the low budget Conti alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 2/20/2020 at 10:47 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

The new version of the Dunlop RS2 are not the same as the originals or the FJ09 OEM.

Check the manufacture date, which ended for the original RS 2 in 2017, maybe as late as early 2018.

The new RS 2 do not perform or wear as well as the original RS 2 and of course the RS 3 but for the money are better than any Shinko and the low budget Conti alternatives.

I went out riding to go pick up food.  Very little traffic, so I was riding a little aggressively (street aggressively, nowhere near track aggressively).  The rear "new" RS2 slipped on a roundabout with a weird elevation change.  A couple of months ago, I had the front slip in the same way but I figured it was due to temperatues in the 30s or low 40s and not enough warm up.  Yesterday the tires were warmed up, and it was 62.

I do NOT recommend these tires.

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

I went out riding to go pick up food.  Very little traffic, so I was riding a little aggressively (street aggressively, nowhere near track aggressively).  The rear "new" RS2 slipped on a roundabout with a weird elevation change.  A couple of months ago, I had the front slip in the same way but I figured it was due to temperatues in the 30s or low 40s and not enough warm up.  Yesterday the tires were warmed up, and it was 62.

I do NOT recommend these tires.

Remember, friends don't let friends ride on Dunlop's🙂

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member

Hey!  I like the RS3s a lot!  I also liked the K81s back in the early 70's LOL

The K81 front tire was really rad back then, it had a sharp V profile to promote easy turn in.  Front street tires back then we're often 19", 18" was sometimes spec'd.  They came out with 16" fronts back in the mid 80s also to speed up turn in but it went too far, which is why 17" is now almost universal for street scoots.

I now have a set each of the Bridgy S22 and T31 to mount on my VTR and FJ09, respectively.

• Thumbsup 1