Klim Vanguard GTX gloves - Comfortable but frustrating

keithu

• Premium Member

I recently picked up a pair of Klim Vanguard GTX waterproof gloves for $150. I've had them for about two months now and so far they are totally waterproof and pretty comfortable to wear. Unfortunately the wrist strap is a huge frustration. 

The wrist closure strap is an unusual design where it passes through a metal loop attached to a short elastic strip. The elastic strip means I can pull the strap tight enough to ensure a secure fit, and it doesn't constrict my wrist thanks to the elastic's give. So far, so good. 

So what's the frustrating part? The strap very easily comes out of the metal loop, as shown in my second photo below. This may seem like a minor annoyance, but when I'm trying to suit up it's a major pain. The strap is virtually impossible to feed back through the metal loop with a gloved hand, so suiting up is a tragically comic exercise of first donning and then removing each respective glove over and over as I fight with the stupid strap loop on the opposite hand. It's not unusual to waste two or even three full minutes just trying to put these damned gloves on. I already have high blood pressure and this isn't helping. 

I think I can fix the problem by folding the end of the strap over and sewing it so it's too thick to pass back through the metal loop. But I shouldn't have to modify $150 gloves just to make them usable. It seems like Klim didn't do much real-world testing with these. 

IMG_20200221_121905_7.jpg

IMG_20200221_121732_6.jpg

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, betoney said:

@keithu - is it possible to use channel lock pliers and very slightly pinch the metal loop closed just a bit?

I don't think so. There is a free-spinning sleeve on the loop that basically turns it into a roller, so it's easier to pull the strap tight. Crimping the loop would damage the sleeve and probably mess up the strap somehow. I think the better solution is to just fold the strap end over and sew it.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mingo said:

How well does the the  "MULT-E-TOUCH™ SMART DEVICE FUNCTIONALITY" work? 

It's okay. I can use the touchscreens on my GPS and phone with the gloves on. The fingertips are too big for precise actions like typing on a smartphone keyboard, however.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, mingo said:

How well does the the  "MULT-E-TOUCH™ SMART DEVICE FUNCTIONALITY" work? 

I have a pair of Rev'it! gloves with 'connect fabric' on the index finger tip and like @keithu stated, it works okay on my GPS screen (I sometimes have to tap the screen several times get it to register) but my gloves with standard finger tip fabric work much better.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for the feedback. My Garmin's GPS screen doesn't need the connected fabric, it's pressure sensitive, it's my phone screen that needs. it. I use Google maps to navigate, and only need to touch the phone's screen when I reach 1 waypoint and need to hit Start or Continue to the next waypoint.. for some reason Google maps doesn't continue the guidance until I do.. and If I don't and do it later, it asks me if I want to continue from the location I'm at or start from the previous waypoint, which is rather annoying, so if I can just hit continue on my phone, problem solved, just need a glove that will do that. 

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the needlessly complicated suggestions. I folded over the ends of the strap tabs and sewed it with a needle and thread, and the gloves work a lot better now. Unexpected bonus: the thicker strap end is also easier to grab and snug with a gloved hand.

The gloves should have been made this way in the first place.

IMG_20200224_141700_0.jpg

• Like 1