Sump Guard Options

flyfifer

Sw-motech has a few options. I don't know how hard of a hit they will take. Higdonion has a pretty rugged looking skid plate, probably your best choice for offroad. I have not run any, but will probably buy the higdonion, they also come with the side crash bars

• 3 months later...

Bit of a thread dredge, hadn't seen this before. I have the Givi sump guard. It's not a problem to fit. I think it looks good (everyone will have their own opinion), offers excellent dirt and crud protection and is pretty sturdy. Not 'go over logs dirt bike style' sturdy. But will take a bit of a knock no problem. When I remove it for an oil change, the sump etc. doesn't even need cleaning usually. No stone chip damage on headers, sump or coolant tank either!

I would highly recommend this to anyone. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

The basic sw-motech skid plate will not take a major bang but provides fairly good protection and does protect the headers a bit I'm happy with it I got it on sale $90 bucks shipped so I can't complain I already have the GV case guards with highway pegs and driving lights on them and they are supposed to handle most tip-overs but I wouldn't think a high speed crash

• Thumbsup 1

Wow, you can't complain about that price! The Givi is a little pricey, I got a discount, which sweetened it a little. Also it's a one off purchase for the life of the bike. That's how I sold it to myself anyway! He he.

• Thumbsup 1

I have it. I think it is nice. The brackets have 2 skrews so you can use one hole to align the other hole. It is not super easy but you don't have to remove it more than one-two times per year. 

RfKkVOm.jpg

• Premium Member

It seems to block a lot of air flow to the pipes and engine compared to the SW-Mototech skid plate, which is easy to drill a hole in to access the drain plug (so it never needs to be removed for most service.  Can you easily see the oil level window and coolant bottle level slot?

20200409_195442.jpg

20200409_195500.jpg

20200409_195510.jpg

20200409_195529.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

It seems to block a lot of air flow to the pipes and engine compared to the SW-Mototech skid plate, which is easy to drill a hole in to access the drain plug (so it never needs to be removed for most service.  Can you easily see the oil level window and coolant bottle level slot?

How do you like the SW-Motech plate?  Its kind of difficult to fully see all of the mount brackets but do you think they would hold up (not deform or collapse) to a decent hit from the bottom?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Thankfully I haven't tested it yet but I think it can take a decent bash.  Someone reported the front bracket broke up by the sump near one bolt but I believe it was due to vibration induced stress.  It's easy to install but I bought SS screws for all but a couple of the maybe of the 5 or 6 screws.  I also installed a low-profile drain plug and trimmed the protective bolt fin very early on and waited to buy a skid plate and got lucky when Twisted Throttle put them on sale for like a week.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, betoney said:

How do you like the SW-Motech plate?  Its kind of difficult to fully see all of the mount brackets but do you think they would hold up (not deform or collapse) to a decent hit from the bottom?

I hit a kerb with a good whack and it bent some of the brackets and twisted one side of the plate. But, it did its job perfectly, i.e. it protected the sump and when I got home I just straightened everything back out and refitted it. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Modified SW-Mototech skid plate (which has been a hot topic after Clegg78's recent misfortune with a rock) to stay in-sito for oil changes.  The forward hole next to the front bracket left hole is to drain oil than drips down the front bracket onto the plate when the filter is removed.  I also safety-wired the oil filter because the Mobil 1 filter loosened (never happened to me before in 48 years!) enough to drip enough oil to get on my boot and left peg.

20200913_110638.jpg

20200913_110646.jpg

20200913_123459.jpg

20200913_123636.jpg

20200913_123719.jpg

20200913_124110.jpg

20200913_124757.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1