Sump Guard Options

flyfifer

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, flyfifer said:

Or there is one like this which looks a very similar design to the SWMotech offering.

I like how in the "item description" there's this -

Material: Steel

Then further down under "Description" there's this -

Material: High Quality of Aluminum Alloy

Which leads me to - The skid plate's like a box a chocolates..... you never know what you gonna get!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

This seller wants a few pounds more and like the previous seller makes it clear there are no instructions.

They do however include an image with some good dimensions information for the keen DIY enthusiast 🤔😉

2 hours ago, flyfifer said:

Or there is one like this which looks a very similar design to the SWMotech offering.

Keep in mind, this is the same kind that I just used that crumpled like wet cardboard on a rock.   After buying the real-deal SW-Motec protector, these are NOTHING a like other than shape.    Also the black one I purchased didn't fit that well... took some tweaking to get on.  The SW Motec fit perfectly. 

You get what you pay for in this case it seems.   I saved ~ $100 on the cheaper black Ebay guard plate... but it cost me $1300 in damages, towing, rental truck to get home. 

Note these are all made of aluminum, no steel options in this design that I could find. 

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, flyfifer said:

This seller wants a few pounds more and like the previous seller makes it clear there are no instructions.

They do however include an image with some good dimensions information for the keen DIY enthusiast 🤔😉

This is the exact one I had that failed so epically.   Buyer beware.   The alloy these use is shit.

• Thumbsup 3

15 minutes ago, flyfifer said:

Maybe there's s free magnet to identify which metal is which !

It does look worth a punt at under £70.

Nope... Higher end 7000 series alloys (ex: 7075) are marginally more magnetic than 6061 or lower end alloys that the black ones may be... but you cant tell from any non industrial gauss level. (ie: MRI machines can pull 7075 objects across a room...)

6 hours ago, flyfifer said:

Clegg, are you saying that the fixing brackets of the cheap option were not steel ?

What crumpled the brackets or plate ?

The brackets on the eBay one and the actual sw-motec are steel, the eBay ones were far sketchier quality though, and didn’t line up right.    The plates of both are aluminum though. 

I believe the brackets are designed to crush on a strong enough hit in some way to not damage the crank case bolts.

the brackets did bend, all 3 of them , but the plate itself failed epically as well. 

2A60D43C-E189-45B3-9A4F-7F2FA5ECADFC.jpeg

7730D498-F4E6-4C24-8399-96BF8765F307.jpeg

Edited by Clegg78

I am not sure any bash plate is going to stop that kind of damage to an oil sump !

As you say the SWMotec type design, using the sump bolts for mounting, must require some sacrificial crumpling to avoid damaging the bolts.

I am not sure how much maths after market suppliers put into their designs.

The Givi bash plate offering does use mounting points that I suspect would stand a shock load better --- as ever price comes into play.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, flyfifer said:

I am not sure any bash plate is going to stop that kind of damage to an oil sump !

As you say the SWMotec type design, using the sump bolts for mounting, must require some sacrificial crumpling to avoid damaging the bolts.

I am not sure how much maths after market suppliers put into their designs.

The Givi bash plate offering does use mounting points that I suspect would stand a shock load better --- as ever price comes into play.

It's more than just price its weight accessibility and then the looks I'm going to reinforce the bottom of my sw-motech skid plate somehow but I never go off road or hop curbs so I'm in no hurry one of these days

Twisted Throttle had a sale early this year on the SW Motech skid plate 90 bucks shipped I couldn't pass it up!

• Thumbsup 2

SW-Motech also offer an item called Front Spoiler.

This cannot be fitted with the Engine Guard 

It's not clear to me why they would have two items to protect similar areas.

The Front Spoiler is however more complex in construction and twice the price of the Engine Guard.

mss_06_471_10000_b_2_xl.jpg