Sump Guard Options

flyfifer

On reflection I would suggest an SW Motech designer did a bit of value engineering on the Spoiler and came up with the Guard.

The Spoiler needs a huge sheet of aluminium, with lots of  waste cut away, to make its outer case component. There is also lots of complicated bending of that part to make the shape.

IMHO.

Edited by flyfifer
  • Thumbsup 1

Rummaging around on the Bay I found the China clone for £54. Item number 402437219481.

Even if I only use it as a pattern for making some of it more robust it ain't robbery 

Edited by flyfifer

So since I ordered another cheap EBay one immediately (maybe even while I was on the side if the road waiting for the truck) it just showed up.   I was able to compare it against the real deal SW-Motec.   And there is virtually no comparison.  I can bend the front "flap" of metal by hand on the Ebay one.  The Ebay one is 3mm and some really light/weak alloy, the SW Motec one pretty dense by comparison and 3.5mm thick.     The brackets on the SW Motec one are quite a bit more refined as well. 

I never would have guessed how much lighter and soft the ebay one could be.   Seriously Flyfifer if you want to get a more robust one, just spend the cash on the SW Motec one.   

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member

From what I've read plus one

I'm just going to beef mine up a little bit eventually by the way I tried your fork adjuster and it works pretty good it's so light I can't believe it

I feel more comfortable with my aluminum adjuster for preload but yours works very well and I dont need a screwdriver 

Have you ever need those filter wrenches yet?

• 1 month later...

Following a forum member's advise and having just installed a ebay knock off, I must say that for my street usage the skid plate seemed solid enough. Installation was rather easy, no instructions but used the SW-Motech installation guide. I will change some screws provided with the kit though (typical with chinese eBay cheap parts).

Road grime, gravel is not going to damage it for sure.

• Thumbsup 1

I put the SCR skid pan on and am very impressed with it.  It did not say for the 2018-2020 Tracer GT but I went with it anyway as they thought it should work but had not tried it.  Not a cheap one but less than the money and time that would be spent on a new oil pan.  Very well made!  Brackets are stainless steel I think pan is aluminum but very stiff.  The rear mount goes from side to side and is inside the pan so would add strength in that area as well and reenforcing the bottom making it more difficult for the pan to fold like Clegg78's did.  It also has a front mount in addition to the center mount.  Installed it is very rigid and I'm really happy with it.  I had a simple snag when installing - 2 bolts that replace the bolts on the engine cover were 3mm to long.  I just got out the Dremel tool and cut them off.  I notified SRC and they were super responsive and asked lots of questions.  I don't think it will be an issue going forward.  Nice to see folks that make a good product and care about it and are responsive.  Shipping was super quick also.  

Looking at the mounting and brackets I would not trust an eBay version.  Much less expensive and better than nothing but I don't want to be sitting somewhere waiting on a tow truck and then having to wait on parts.  As for oil filter protection I've had the oil filter in that position on several bikes and never had a problem but I haven't ridden gravel roads.  LOL i did ride a few miles on a road that had just been chip tarred as well as construction areas that had sizable rocks in the roadway so maybe I'm lucky!  

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

Yes, I don't plan on doing adventure biking but ....  My plan is some nice gravel roads that there is always the construction zone.  A couple of years ago riding out the east entrance to Yellowstone hit road construction where I had to ride thru some (for a sport bike guy) gnarly stuff with dirt and big gravel/rocks.  On that same trip hit a stretch of road that had just been chip tarred.  Think riding on a road with 1/2 to 1" of gravel on top of a layer of tar.  I really wasn't comfortable on that.  Last June hit a stretch in South Dakota with none of the above LOL!!!!  It was just dirt!  One short stretch was just like deep sand - still don't know how I didn't go down but kept it up.  The stretch in Yellowstone was worse looking than where @Clegg78 busted his oil pan.  After reading the experiences of others decided I needed to go for big protection - probably a bit nervous after the last trip was totally changed due to a bike breakdown.  Oh almost forgot about the 3 or 4 miles of wet muddy gravel roads thru a town in South Dakota where they were resurfacing the streets.  Next project before my long trip next year is a radiator protector.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.41.33 PM.png

Edited by PhotoAl
fix pic
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
On 10/3/2020 at 7:07 PM, Clegg78 said:

So since I ordered another cheap EBay one immediately (maybe even while I was on the side if the road waiting for the truck) it just showed up.   I was able to compare it against the real deal SW-Motec.   And there is virtually no comparison.  I can bend the front "flap" of metal by hand on the Ebay one.  The Ebay one is 3mm and some really light/weak alloy, the SW Motec one pretty dense by comparison and 3.5mm thick.     The brackets on the SW Motec one are quite a bit more refined as well. 

I never would have guessed how much lighter and soft the ebay one could be.   Seriously Flyfifer if you want to get a more robust one, just spend the cash on the SW Motec one.   

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

^^^ This. Much of what you are buying out of China on ebay is junk. They are knock offs of quality things designed elsewhere. True, quality fabrication is talent and a touch of art. The R&D costs money and most times it's worth the extra money.

@PhotoAl send your information and thoughts to SRC. In my recent communications with them they seem very interested in feedback from the end users.

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

21 hours ago, flyfifer said:

Could you post the eBay link to the item you bought, please.

I had an eBay ex China clone on order recently but it did not get delivered (and I got a refund).

s-l400.jpg

Engine Guard Protector Bash Plate Skid Plate For Yamaha Tracer...

I bought it from an EU located vendor and it came rather quickly, like 2 weeks or so.

Again, for my intended road use it is sturdy enough. I might drill new holes though to relocate the skid plate a bit further back, it leaves a big gap in front of the headers. Might be because Scorpion headers have different shape than OEM ones.

• 3 weeks later...

PhotoAl,

Having scrutinised your xlnt pics am I correct in identifying that your bash plate has ---

A one piece mounting bracket that crosses the bash plate and is secured by Two sump bolts, at each Side -- and then to the "rear" of the bash plate.

A mounting bracket is secured by Two sump bolts, at the Front of the sump - and to the "middle" of the bash plate.(similar to SWMotech/clone design).

And finally

A bracket from the RHS of the bash plate is secured to two engine Casing bolts.

Have I got it correct ??

(I note also that the "upturned front exhaust protector section", of the bash plate,  is welded to the sides of the bash plate --- which must make it more robust than for example the SWMotech design.)

• Premium Member
On 11/26/2020 at 7:21 PM, PhotoAl said:

Yes, I don't plan on doing adventure biking but ....  My plan is some nice gravel roads that there is always the construction zone...

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.41.33 PM.png

I rode through about 10 miles of construction like this in Montana over the summer. After multiple washings and lots of time down on my hands and knees scrubbing I've come to the conclusion that some of this mud is going to be on my bike forever. 

• Thumbsup 1

@flyfifer you are observant and correct.  I'm very happy with it although I've not tested it - hope I don't.  Probably a toss up between it and the SW Moto one.  

LOL that why i traded the BMW!  Not really but I spent a lot of time washing it.  Riding thru the water actually washed off a good bit of mud.  After my last trip I got an amazing amount of dirt and mud off of the rear wheel.  BMW had a little channel just inside the edge of the wheel that would collect dirt.  In Moab Utah it went thru a dust storm and then a rainstorm, next day it was all day in the rain so really nasty when I got back.  I washed it well and took it in for servicing so I could go on another trip :-) Have not gotten my Tracer GT that dirty -yet!  I like the smaller fairings, fewer places to accumulate dirt that are hard to get to.  Plus I do all the maintenance on the Yamaha.