Sump Guard Options

flyfifer

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

Since it sounds like the skid plates work with both the FJ and Tracers, would it be safe to say that the Ermax Belly Pan advertised for the 2015-2017 FJ would also work on a 2019 Tracer?

I would 'assume' so.   Again, since the motors are the same and the belly pan attaches with brackets directly to the motor, I can't imagine how it wouldn't fit?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...

There is a slot under the drain plug so looks like I could loosen or tighten the drain plug with the skid plate in place.  I have not changed the oil since installing it so will have to see how that goes.  When I put it on I presumed would need to take it off for an oil change but maybe not.  I was thinking would just drop the plate off the brackets so not a full install even if I do take it off.  If left in place wold probably get some oil on it from draining so would have a little more cleanup.  Even if I have to take it off will be less effort than taking the fairings off my CBR600RR which I had to do for an oil change.

IMG_2344.thumb.jpeg.faad9ebe5403b8fd01a0612acce56fc8.jpeg

Pulled out of my driveway the other day, we have valley gutters so there is a dip when leaving or entering my driveway.  Normally pull in or out at a slight angle but doidn't and slightly scraped the skid plate.  Surprised me and although I don't ride off road it 's nice the have the skid plate.

Edited by PhotoAl
added pic

43 minutes ago, Blueblood said:

@Wallygator @PhotoAl  Gentlemen, how is the access to the oil drain bolt with the SRC skid plate for your Tracers? I looked at the photos but cannot really tell. Looking to purchase one for my 2019.

thanks! Pete

I have changed the oil since installing. Took the plate off to do so and never even thought of trying to do the oil change with it on.  I think that would be messy. It's six bolts and the plate is off. 

• Thumbsup 1

@PhotoAl thank you for the reply and photo, seems like that slot may line up fairly well to loosen up the bolt. SRC’s website mentioned access to it but does not list the Tracer GT so I was not sure. I didn't really want to have to drop the plate for regular oil changes.  It looks like SRC really did a nice job designing and mf’g it. Safe travels!

• Thumbsup 1

On 9/23/2020 at 1:54 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Modified SW-Mototech skid plate (which has been a hot topic after Clegg78's recent misfortune with a rock) to stay in-sito for oil changes.  The forward hole next to the front bracket left hole is to drain oil than drips down the front bracket onto the plate when the filter is removed.  I also safety-wired the oil filter because the Mobil 1 filter loosened (never happened to me before in 48 years!) enough to drip enough oil to get on my boot and left peg.

20200913_123719.jpg

Oh, man, I for sure see why skid plates are so common on FJ's, now.  The bike even sliding along the oil pan (say, on a curb) risks hitting that drain plug and holing the pan.  

I'll stick with my forward mounted drain bolt, thanks. 

That's not a good design.  

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Oh, man, I for sure see why skid plates are so common on FJ's, now.  The bike even sliding along the oil pan (say, on a curb) risks hitting that drain plug and holing the pan.  

I'll stick with my forward mounted drain bolt, thanks. 

That's not a good design.  

The bottom back plug Was the hand I was dealt

Until such time is I need to otherwise I've done what I can and even if I had a forward plug I would have done the same thing

• Thumbsup 3

9 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The bottom back plug Was the hand I was dealt

Until such time is I need to otherwise I've done what I can and even if I had a forward plug I would have done the same thing

For sure, it is what it is; I wouldn't have not bought my Tracer if it had the oil plug there, I'd just definitely have gotten a sturdy skid plate as many FJ guys have, and I'd have done that even in my own riding situation.

That being never in a place where there's a reason for me to hit the undercarriage of the bike on anything.  I've literally never done that.  But with a downward pointing drain bolt in an aluminum pan... oof.  That's scary :)

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

For sure, it is what it is; I wouldn't have not bought my Tracer if it had the oil plug there, I'd just definitely have gotten a sturdy skid plate as many FJ guys have, and I'd have done that even in my own riding situation.

That being never in a place where there's a reason for me to hit the undercarriage of the bike on anything.  I've literally never done that.  But with a downward pointing drain bolt in an aluminum pan... oof.  That's scary :)

Read my reply just now regarding the headlights

This is the first bike I've put a skid plate on, also the most vulnerable I've had.  Put a radiator guard on it as well.  In all the miles I've been and different bikes Ive never had a rock damage a radiator.  I don't ride off pavement but may do some gravel roads with the Tracer GT.  Took my BMW F800GT down 25 or 30 miles of fresh chip tar with no issues - that was really scary for me.  The first part had lots of deep loose gravel which gradually thinned out over the distance.  I'm a sport bike guy and the thought of riding in gravel on top of tar scares me!  I'm doing a lot better now with that and more experiences.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 3/29/2021 at 6:09 PM, PhotoAl said:

There is a slot under the drain plug so looks like I could loosen or tighten the drain plug with the skid plate in place.  I have not changed the oil since installing it so will have to see how that goes.  When I put it on I presumed would need to take it off for an oil change but maybe not.  I was thinking would just drop the plate off the brackets so not a full install even if I do take it off.  If left in place wold probably get some oil on it from draining so would have a little more cleanup.  Even if I have to take it off will be less effort than taking the fairings off my CBR600RR which I had to do for an oil change.

IMG_2344.thumb.jpeg.faad9ebe5403b8fd01a0612acce56fc8.jpeg

Pulled out of my driveway the other day, we have valley gutters so there is a dip when leaving or entering my driveway.  Normally pull in or out at a slight angle but doidn't and slightly scraped the skid plate.  Surprised me and although I don't ride off road it 's nice the have the skid plate.

That, or it takes up some ground clearance. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 2/12/2021 at 11:47 AM, Wallygator said:

So no listed weight but with the brackets and skid combined I would guestimate it weighs well under 10lbs.   If the three brackets are a pound a piece and the skid is 2-3 lbs. My guestimate. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

I just weighed my new SRC sump guard using my bathroom scale and the delta between my weight alone and holding the guard and hardware was 4.5 lbs. FWIW. 

• Thumbsup 1