Shifting lockout issue?

I have a 2019 Tracer 900 with almost 1700 miles (bought new).

Today while riding I shifted from 1st and it went to Neutral, not 2nd. I had held it in first for a fair bit up to around 35mph. I pulled in the clutch and attempted to shift to second from neutral. It wouldn't go. I heard a clicking/knocking? sound when moving the shifter up (while I had the clutch completely pulled in). I had to shift down to 1st, then back up to second.

Is this normal?

I had one other instance today where it went to neutral from 1st. Maybe its rider error (not enough force shifting with my foot), but this had never occurred before in 1700 miles.

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, Jdenkevitz said:

I have a 2019 Tracer 900 with almost 1700 miles (bought new).

Today while riding I shifted from 1st and it went to Neutral, not 2nd. I had held it in first for a fair bit up to around 35mph. I pulled in the clutch and attempted to shift to second from neutral. It wouldn't go. I heard a clicking/knocking? sound when moving the shifter up (while I had the clutch completely pulled in). I had to shift down to 1st, then back up to second.

Is this normal?

I had one other instance today where it went to neutral from 1st. Maybe its rider error (not enough force shifting with my foot), but this had never occurred before in 1700 miles.

Did this transmission issue just start today or has it been happening for awhile? 

This sounds kind of obvious but do you have the shifter angle adjusted up or down so it fits your foot?  Are you preloading the shift lever before trying to shift?  Try unloading pressure off the lever completely and then upshifting.

Are you still using the break-in oil?  or have you changed it since buying the bike?

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

21 minutes ago, betoney said:

Did this transmission issue just start today or has it been happening for awhile? 

This sounds kind of obvious but do you have the shifter angle adjusted up or down so it fits your foot?  Are you preloading the shift lever before trying to shift?  Try unloading pressure off the lever completely and then upshifting.

Are you still using the break-in oil?  or have you changed it since buying the bike?

I was not pre-loading the shift lever. The break-in oil was replaced as recommended by Yamaha's instructions. Full synthetic now. I have never experienced this before, only occurring once, but I also have never accidentally shifted to Neutral from 1st, and it happened at least twice today. 

Does the bike have a lockout shifting from neutral to second? 

What would cause the bike from preventing me to shift to second while holding in the clutch?

The bike ran fine for a good 50 miles on some backroads after this happened, but im concerned now. I have a big roadtrip on it planned for April.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Jdenkevitz

When the FJ-09/MT-09 Tracer first arrived to the market a very similar issue was discussed fairly often. The resolution 95% of the time was to adjust the shift lever or foot position in such a way that allows the lever to fully "reset" to its resting position between shifts.  If you leave any pressure on the lever between shifts (whether you realize it or not) it can cause these symptoms you are describing... it was also reported most oftwn when shifting from first to second.

I would recommend taking a look at the lever and paying extra attention to letting the lever "reset" and see if you notice a difference.

• Thumbsup 4

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Sounds silly but have you changed shoes?  I got a new pair of riding boots and my FJR stopped shifting correctly. Solution was to be sure I had zero pressure on shifter lever between shifts similar to what @duhs10_2 is saying. I made a mental note to clear my boot away from the shifter between every shift and the problem was solved. I even proved it was my new boots to myself by riding with my old boots on and I couldn’t make the bike not shift. 

Finding neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd is something that can happen (on any bike), as can finding a false neutral between any gears so i wouldn't be too concerned at a once off. If the bike is under heavy acceleration between 1st and 2nd you need a sure foot when changing gear. 

Monitor the situation and check if it is happening only when high revs (if so try being more assertive with the gear change). If it is happening often then you should get it checked.

• Thumbsup 1

On 2/24/2020 at 4:51 AM, Pinoy_rider said:

Try to check the cable for looseness, maybe its the cause.👍🏼
Its a big maybe👍🏼🇵🇭

This. 10-20mm free play as measured at the end of the lever. Set when cold. also cold oil can affect shifting feel. Make sure the fasteners are tight in the shift linkage (5mm Allen bolt)

if it gets worse, see your shop so someone else can ride it and rule your habits out of the equation. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1