Tank Bag Experiences

tojjer

I am considering a small tank bag for things such as phone, passport, battery charger for when we go on tour.

I have read a few threads on here about some, but  I am interested in what people have and the good and bad of them. I see that the tank ring bags are more expensive, but are the magnetic ones any good? Do they stay on ok or move easy, damage the paint easily?

As I say, it doesn't need to be very big as it won't have to hold too much at a time.  Is there any "cheaper ones" that anybody has found to be ok?

I have used a magnetic tank bag and it stays put with no problem.  If you are careful, when placing the bag on the tank you should not have any issues with it scratching the paint. 

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

I have a small bag with straps (carried over from a bike with a plastic tank) and a large magnetic bag. The magnets grip the back of the tank well, but I get lift at the front at some speeds. Definitely use the safety strap around the handlebar clamps.

The small strapped bag always gradually slides to the left or right. It's easy to correct but a minor annoyance. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

@tojjerI'm using an Oxford Q4R tank bag that mounts to the fuel tank ring. I will not have another bag that rests on fuel tank, to many scratches on the paint. Very happy with the quality of the bag and they come in many sizes and color's. Price is not expensive and for you it's an English company with a lifetime warranty👍

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

I've been looking at the Shad PIN tank bags. I like that the quick connect system is all metal. There is no plastic in the mechanism to wear out over time. Currently I have a Cortech Dryver system, and after about 3 seasons of regular use, the ring only barely latches because the plastic has worn down. The Shad system looks really clean when the bag is removed too. 

10 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

I've been looking at the Shad PIN tank bags. I like that the quick connect system is all metal. There is no plastic in the mechanism to wear out over time. Currently I have a Cortech Dryver system, and after about 3 seasons of regular use, the ring only barely latches because the plastic has worn down. The Shad system looks really clean when the bag is removed too. 

Are these the ones that Yamaha sells?

Rob

Edited by rlambke19

I have a SHAD E-16 tank bag. Overall I like it. Wish there was a little more compartmentalization in the main part of the bag but no big deal.  I did have an issue with the plastic cover of the cell phone holder separating from the fabric. Fixed it with some Gorilla Glue double sided tape.

PSX_20200224_164547.jpg

PSX_20200224_164633.jpg

PSX_20200224_164648.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have this on @tojjer, attached by the tank ring. It snaps on easily and is very secure once on. Perfect size for phone, gloves, water bottle, satnav, etc. It has a pocket in the lid in which spare earplugs, cash, buff, paracetamol live.

Givi ST602B Sport-T Tanklock Tank Bag - 4L from the UK's leading online...

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

I have a Wolfman Explorer strap-on bag. It is a quality bag even after five years of intermittent use, and I've never had issues with paint scratches. But the straps are a pain to live with. My next bag will use a tank ring mount.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

My favorite tank bag is my chest.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Supporting Member

@tojjer I use the SW Motech EVO Engage bag.  I like it because the tank ring makes it super convenient and rock solid, it very much compliments the shape of the tank and it holds everything I need in a quick-access tank bag with out being HUGE. 

I carry tools, sun glasses, wallet, cell phone and charger, lens cleaner and chamois for cleaning my face shield, spare change, emergency money, tire pressure gauge, ear plugs, insurance and registration papers and a spare set of keys.  In the side compartments I have a spare GPS and power cable.  I can only imagine all of the crap I would load in there if it was one of those monstrosities with 3x the capacity.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

39 minutes ago, BBB said:

I have this on @tojjer, attached by the tank ring. It snaps on easily and is very secure once on. Perfect size for phone, gloves, water bottle, satnav, etc. It has a pocket in the lid in which spare earplugs, cash, buff, paracetamol live.

Givi ST602B Sport-T Tanklock Tank Bag - 4L from the UK's leading online...

I looked at those but I've seen a few videos and read a few articles that say the plastic wears and the bag comes off easily. Any problems like that yourself?