Tank Bag Experiences

tojjer

I too looked for a while and i needed something small due to the tank having plastic in the way and settled on the Cortech Super 2.0 Low Profile Tank Bag Its awesome and expandable. The magnets never scratch the tank.

IMG_20170327_152157.jpg

IMG_20170327_152210.jpg

Edited by sdwillie
  • Thumbsup 2
2016 FJ09

@sdwillie Is that a matte silver FJ/Tracer? The reason I ask is because I have a matte grey FJ and the Nelson Riggs magnetic tank bag i used prior to my SHAD polished the tank a bit where the magnets touched... no scratches but definitely polished the matte finish (thus the faux carbon vinyl you see on my tank in my pictures).  

Normally I have no reservations about magnetic tank bags but I would not recommend them on matte finishes given my experience.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

25 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

@sdwillie Is that a matte silver FJ/Tracer? The reason I ask is because I have a matte grey FJ and the Nelson Riggs magnetic tank bag i used prior to my SHAD polished the tank a bit where the magnets touched... no scratches but definitely polished the matte finish (thus the faux carbon vinyl you see on my tank in my pictures).  

Normally I have no reservations about magnetic tank bags but I would not recommend them on matte finishes given my experience.

Yeah its a 2016 Matte silver.

• Thanks 1
2016 FJ09

• Premium Member

+1 SW-Motech Engage.  For touring I use the its big brother 

Before this I used an excellent strap mounted bag 

great build quality on the RKA, and unclipping one strap and sliding bag to one side to pump gas wasn’t too much of a PITA.

• Thanks 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Another vote for the SW engage. Think it’s 7 liters (aka smallish) and looks and works great. Have used on two cross country  trips in heat, rain, cold etc without issue.  Tank ring keeps it off the tank but close enough to look great.  However the downside is the price. SW doesn’t give them away for sure.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tojjer said:

I looked at those but I've seen a few videos and read a few articles that say the plastic wears and the bag comes off easily. Any problems like that yourself? 

No problems at all. As you may see from my link, it’s a bestseller on sportsbikeshop and a Ride recommended item. What’s not shown on the picture is that there is a small nylon cover over the top, that has a zip in it for holding a credit card. I don’t use it at all, but it covers the transparent phone pocket and stops UV damage. The tankbag is rock solid when mounted, yet easy to remove with the tank ring mechanism. I’ve had mine for at least 3 years now and no problems.

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thank you all for taking the time to post and put pictures also. I think I am leaning towards one of those SW Motechs. Look great on the bike with that shape.

Thanks again all, really appreciate it.

• Thumbsup 2

I bought a Givi EA123 5litresish (second hand off eBay) but decided it was Tooo small.

Once you have the Tankring fitted however it makes "easy" to put one bag to the side and buy another.

I then bought a Givi XS307 off Amazon, second hand - presumably a return, also at a bargain price.

It looks much more useful.

As whoever said 12litres or so is a good plan.

Edited by flyfifer

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, tojjer said:

Thank you all for taking the time to post and put pictures also. I think I am leaning towards one of those SW Motechs. Look great on the bike with that shape.

Thanks again all, really appreciate it.

When you order the tank ring, make sure to order the 110 EVO ring.  If I remember correctly, they recommend a different ring, (307, 308 maybe?) but that one has the bag sitting 1" or more above the tank surface.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***