Tank Bag Experiences

tojjer

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

When you order the tank ring, make sure to order the 110 EVO ring.  If I remember correctly, they recommend a different ring, (307, 308 maybe?) but that one has the bag sitting 1" or more above the tank surface.

I believe this is a post that clarifies the part numbers for the 'correct' ring to use.  For the record, I bought this part number TRT.00.640.11001/B (110) which is the 'low' version.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG_6624.thumb.JPG.9dbf8d899a8c36080ae7cef3a406db9a.JPGIMG_6545.thumb.JPG.f43f9c11a5b6dd97c0caff8994b1c7e1.JPG

Mine is the SW-Motec City Bag with the 308, higher ring it suggests for it.  It's 15 liters and holds everything, plus water bottles, etc. I did want a bit bigger bag that can hold a days worth of stuff and room in case ya buy something out on the road.

IMG_6544.JPG

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

I have been using the City bag for six years on three bikes. This bag has done at least 50,000 miles and still looks new and latches securely. You do pay more for these bags but this has been the best quality of any bag I have used in the past.

I got creative and modified a tank ring from my old Triumph Tiger 1050 to work on the GT and everything works well. If there is a taller ring, that will be the one you need. I had to shim the latching hardware away from the bottom of the bag to get it to work on the standard height ring so the extra height ring will be needed.

Edited by mike

• Premium Member
On 2/25/2020 at 6:11 AM, chitown said:

Added a $20 ring setup and a piece of cutting board for stiffness to a strap on Cortech in the gear closet. Been using it for four years and works great. After decades of other mounting systems I'm all ring now.   

Any pics of this? I'm intrigued.

Have a look at this Givi part. Givi sell it as a spare so that should the locking system on your Givi Tanlock bag fail --- you can replace it inexpensively rather than have to buy a new bag.

You can of course buy the item and fit it to any tankbag to convert it to tanklock.

The "common" method is to buy a couple of really cheap polyprop kitchen cutting boards.

Cut them so one fits neatly inside your selected ancient (magnetic?) tank bag.

Cut the other board, probably a bit smaller, centre the two parts and drill them so you can mount the Givi flange.

Sandwich the tank bag with the boards. Hot wire the mounting holes through the bag.

Screw the Flange and BagSandwich together.

Voila a tanklock bag.

There was a video someplace but I could not find it -- hence all the words.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, flyfifer said:

If we had categories for threads on here finding stuff would be easier.

Do you mean, in the forum entry page (where we have lots of different sections) or in the search function (where you can click on extra search functions and refine by date, member etc)?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Off Topic but ---

Sub Divisions. For example--

Technical -- servicing, electrics, problems.etc

Accessories --- Luggage, Racks, Seats.etc

Clothing/Helmets/Boots. 

Trip Reports/Accomodation.

Tyres.

The other forums I use all split up stuff.

Edited by flyfifer