Tank Bag Experiences

tojjer

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member

Almost a year back I purchased SW-MOTECH EVO City QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag & SW-MOTECH Type 110 EVO Tank Bag QUICK-LOCK Bottom Tank Ring as suggested by Twisted Throttle website from my 2019 Tracer 900 GT.

Issue is tank bag sits too low and there is no way I can lock the bag to the tank ring. This is how my QUICK lock works - I open the bag, move things around or remove it temporary then press hard on all four corners from inside until I hear "click"- Fill the bag again and ready to roll. I tried to raised the ring by adding spacer between ring and gas tank which work fine for tank bag but I couldn't able to open gas cap. I learned it hard way 😣

Today I was searching on SW-MOTECH website and found they offer different part number for tank ring TRT.00.640.30800.B. Based on Twisted Throttle this is what I purchased TRT.00.640.11001.B.

On Twisted Throttle site 308 is isted for FJ09 15-17:114776594_Annotation2020-08-18151013.jpg.070d887a0732ce29961243e5dc394c00.jpg

Can anybody comment who have similar setup/bike, what you are using?

Motocheck, I too got a Type 110 and had the same problem.  Rather than raising the lockring off the tank, I lowered  the ring that attaches to the bag by inserting the drilling template between the ring and the bag.  If you didn't throw that away, I think you'll find it to be a cheap solution.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 for SW Motech bags. I have the micro and it's big enough to hold a wallet, sunglasses, cell phone with phone and headset chargers, micro fiber rags and a Sig 9. Could hold more in expanded form but I never use it that way. I stole the tank ring off of my fz10 (same gas cap) and just had to put washers between the mounting plate and the underside of the bag only on the front so that it would clear that plastic piece on the front of the tank. Works perfectly and follows the lines of the tank. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 8/18/2020 at 2:27 PM, Motocheck said:

Almost a year back I purchased SW-MOTECH EVO City QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag & SW-MOTECH Type 110 EVO Tank Bag QUICK-LOCK Bottom Tank Ring as suggested by Twisted Throttle website from my 2019 Tracer 900 GT.

Issue is tank bag sits too low and there is no way I can lock the bag to the tank ring. This is how my QUICK lock works - I open the bag, move things around or remove it temporary then press hard on all four corners from inside until I hear "click"- Fill the bag again and ready to roll. I tried to raised the ring by adding spacer between ring and gas tank which work fine for tank bag but I couldn't able to open gas cap. I learned it hard way 😣

Today I was searching on SW-MOTECH website and found they offer different part number for tank ring TRT.00.640.30800.B. Based on Twisted Throttle this is what I purchased TRT.00.640.11001.B.

On Twisted Throttle site 308 is isted for FJ09 15-17:114776594_Annotation2020-08-18151013.jpg.070d887a0732ce29961243e5dc394c00.jpg

Can anybody comment who have similar setup/bike, what you are using?

+1 on the SW MT Engage, expensive but great quality and features; anything bigger is too tall or long IMO on the FJ. No issues mounting it, even with the lower ring but I added an extension to the release cord.  Their tank bags CAN be locked to the ring by drilling a small hole in the bottom and inserting a 5 mm or eq inch pin (got one with a spring loaded ball detent and knob with lanyard for like $4).  The pin jambs the release mechanism but a lock on the zipper pulls is no much of a deterrent. 

I also have a smaller 6L Rapid Transit mag mount t bag for $25 on ebay that is good but don't know how kind it will be to the paint yet.  I applied a clear applique to the steel portion of the tank though.  I'll eventually cut my own applique for the plastic side tank covers, which IMO could do without the fake intake grills (as I could the bug catcher between the headlights.

I have an even smaller Nelson Rigg magnetic bag (not pictured), almost like a micro bag, that's really too small for even the bare minimum (a bottle of water, shield cleaning kit, smokes, and maybe sunglasses) unless you want that. It was not cheap, they still make them but I don't think they're worth it for the size and features.20200819_231028.thumb.jpg.2b1df1e743daa4b7245e616a39cca667.jpg

20200819_231306.jpg

20200819_230842.jpg

• Premium Member
On 8/18/2020 at 4:13 PM, countersteer said:

Motocheck, I too got a Type 110 and had the same problem.  Rather than raising the lockring off the tank, I lowered  the ring that attaches to the bag by inserting the drilling template between the ring and the bag.  If you didn't throw that away, I think you'll find it to be a cheap solution.

Don’t know why I didn’t thought about that earlier. Sometime solution is right there and you just don’t see it. 
I installed and it’s fix the problem.👍🏼

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 9:13 PM, countersteer said:

@countersteer thanks for this excellent tip, I've just done the same (fitted the drilling template as you descirbe) and it makes mounting and de-mounting the EVO Engage bag sooo much easier. Many, many thanks.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 4:13 PM, countersteer said:

I was having a problem attaching the EVO Engage to my Tacer GT also. So this suggestion of adding the drilling template was a great idea except I know longer had the template.  So I made a spacer using a piece of cardboard (non corrugated) and it did the job.  Then I started thinking that it would be a mess if the cardboard got wet.  So I took an empty plastic gallon jug that had thin flat sides and made spacer from it.  It's works great.

Thanks for this suggestion to make a spacer so the tank bag is easier to install!

• Thumbsup 1