Comprehensive slipper clutch upgrade video

blurglide

Hey all.  I did the slipper clutch upgrade on my 2015 FJ09, and did the cable update too.  Excellent upgrade- it really transformed the bike.  It shifts soooooo smooth now, even if I don't nail the rev matching, and it's much less of a pain in traffic, too.  I also recommend using the Rotella T6 oil- very smooth shifter action.  The existing tutorials all left something to be desired so I made my own.  I hope someone finds this helpful....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j2SOPSb2b8&feature=youtu.be

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, blurglide said:

Hey all.  I did the slipper clutch upgrade on my 2015 FJ09, and did the cable update too.  Excellent upgrade- it really transformed the bike.  It shifts soooooo smooth now, even if I don't nail the rev matching, and it's much less of a pain in traffic, too.  I also recommend using the Rotella T6 oil- very smooth shifter action.  The existing tutorials all left something to be desired so I made my own.  I hope someone finds this helpful....

Agree 100%, very nice upgrade for the '15-'16 models. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

50 minutes ago, blurglide said:

Whoah!, Mike Rowe owns an FJ? Lol.

13 minutes ago, blurglide said:

Ha!  Never got that one before.  Is that a voice reference, face reference, or both?  I'll take it- Mike Rowe is awesome.

Voice. I had to look twice once you started talkiing. If Rowe retires, you're a shoe in.

Nice to see confirmation that my install was all good.  I did find a couple references that confirm that the "spring" disk/ring is installed with the dish facing out from the engine.

I had a bitch of a time getting the case lever clocked correctly.  I gave up and just took ring pliers and took the lever off, then installed the case cover, the reinstall the lever clocked correctly.  Painless.

Awesome video BlurGuide!

• Supporting Member

Great video blurglide.  Wish I had that when I did mine!  I think adding the slipper clutch is one of the most useful upgrades to do for this vintage bike - IMHO.  Good work. 👍

And just to remove all doubt out of that Damper spring orientation, here's the relevant page from the service manual that shows the way it's meant to go.

Cheers and thanks.

1461975315_Clutchdamperspring.thumb.JPG.fa9307b16d96a0173f3850140071b742.JPG

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Great video blurglide.  Wish I had that when I did mine!👍

I agree, I would have loved a video or how-to pictorial, I only had the page from the service manual that you posted above.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, estell said:

Planning to do this upgrade to my clutch to get the lighter pull. I'd like to take some strain off my wrists during the daily commute in heavy traffic.

Since I have 36K miles on my 2015 FJ09, I think I should replace the friction plates even though they are not yet slipping, although they are not part of the Partshark kit. Is there a good reason to replace the clutch plates too? Do they wear and get thinner? 

Unless you are really abusive or heavy on your clutch the plates should last a LONG time.

One of the steps with the slipper clutch install is measuring the thickness of the assembled clutch pack, this will let you know if the plates are within spec.  There are optional thickness plates available to modify the stack thickness, but if for some reason the stack thickness is on the thin side then it might be the perfect time to replace the friction plates.

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, betoney said:

Unless you are really abusive or heavy on your clutch the plates should last a LONG time.

One of the steps with the slipper clutch install is measuring the thickness of the assembled clutch pack, this will let you know if the plates are within spec.  There are optional thickness plates available to modify the stack thickness, but if for some reason the stack thickness is on the thin side then it might be the perfect time to replace the friction plates.

Thanks. I don't abuse my clutch. Instead of purchasing replacement friction plates and clutch plates, I'll get the 2.3mm clutch plate just in case I need the extra thickness to make up for wear. @skipperT wrote about that here

• Thumbsup 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Excellent video. Very well done.  Although my bike already has a slipper clutch I watched just to learn.  Thanks for sharing.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

8 hours ago, estell said:

Thanks. I don't abuse my clutch. Instead of purchasing replacement friction plates and clutch plates, I'll get the 2.3mm clutch plate just in case I need the extra thickness to make up for wear. @skipperT wrote about that here

As a heads up, if you order the part number for the Yamaha clutch replacement kit, and get one for a newer model (XSR or Tracer) it will come with a couple different thicknesses of plates. 

Also set the stack height before soaking the friction plates in oil as it’s less messy. 

you’ll love the upgrade. 
-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member

Well, well... I think I experienced clutch slip today (🙏). I have been ogling this mod but couldn't stomach wasting a good clutch before its time. I think I should start collecting the pieces. 🤔

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 11/5/2021 at 7:17 PM, piotrek said:

Well, well... I think I experienced clutch slip today (🙏). 

I think your bike is signaling you it's ready, wink, wink. 

I have been eyeing this mod myself. Thinking maybe I wouldn't be sliding my rear tire into corners as much. Might get better life. This is the Bridgestone S22.

IMG_3422.JPG

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!