Comprehensive slipper clutch upgrade video

blurglide

On 11/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, piotrek said:

Well, well... I think I experienced clutch slip today (🙏). I have been ogling this mod but couldn't stomach wasting a good clutch before its time. I think I should start collecting the pieces. 🤔

It's funny.  I never really appreciated the slipper on my Tracer, until I got my Tenere.  I just adapted to the slipper clutch really fast while getting used to the whole New Bike Thing.  

But now I've got the Tenere, and have to rev match when downshifting and riding aggressively, I'm super out of practice and kind of bad at it again, and have had a couple hairy corners where I've screwed it up and kicked out the rear a bit.  

Slipper clutches are *awesome*.

Edited by Wintersdark

• Supporting Member
On 11/7/2021 at 10:10 PM, Wintersdark said:

It's funny.  I never really appreciated the slipper on my Tracer, until I got my Tenere.  I just adapted to the slipper clutch really fast while getting used to the whole New Bike Thing.  

But now I've got the Tenere, and have to rev match when downshifting and riding aggressively, I'm super out of practice and kind of bad at it again, and have had a couple hairy corners where I've screwed it up and kicked out the rear a bit.  

Slipper clutches are *awesome*.

To be honest... the promise of a much lighter clutch pull is appealing, but yeah... the slipper will probably just lead to sloppy clutch habits. Still pondering just getting a clutch plate disk and spring set and calling it done for well under CAD $200. That said... winter can be long and full of temptation.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 4 months later...

The 2012 CBR600RR I had did not have one.  On the way to work there was one long 360 degree exit ramp.  I would downshift pretty aggressively and every once and a while would set to back out a bit.  Sold the CBR and bought a 2014 ZX6R 636 with a slipper.  Rode it the same way but didn't have the problems with the rear stepping out.  IMO a great upgrade, I don't depend on it and ride it the same but having one is coverage over the occasional sloppy downshift.  It's not traction control so in the wet I'm super careful and never bang hard downshifts.