Is there no fuel filter?!

keithu

• Premium Member

I posted something yesterday about my old Triumph's fuel filter, and it got me wondering: where is my FJ-09's fuel filter, and when should I replace it?

A quick review of the service manual reveals there is no replacement interval listed, and after going through the air/fuel delivery chapter a couple of times I could find no reference to one. I assumed it would be inside the fuel tank, but I couldn't find one.

Does the FJ/Tracer truly have no fuel filter? I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle without one.

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, keithu said:

I posted something yesterday about my old Triumph's fuel filter, and it got me wondering: where is my FJ-09's fuel filter, and when should I replace it?

A quick review of the service manual reveals there is no replacement interval listed, and after going through the air/fuel delivery chapter a couple of times I could find no reference to one. I assumed it would be inside the fuel tank, but I couldn't find one.

Does the FJ/Tracer truly have no fuel filter? I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle without one.

I was wondering the same thing about my truck, the mechanic told me that it is inside the fuel tank.  I don't know for sure but believe any filter would be inside the tank on the FJ/Tracer.  I'm going to run over to the dealers this morning, if I remember Ill ask the service tech.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

I was wondering the same thing about my truck, the mechanic told me that it is inside the fuel tank.  I don't know for sure but believe any filter would be inside the tank on the FJ/Tracer.  I'm going to run over to the dealers this morning, if I remember Ill ask the service tech.

That's the normal location if the fuel pump is inside the tank, because you want to filter the fuel before it goes through the pump. I've had two motorcycles with in-tank fuel filters: BMW K100RS and Triumph TT600. The BMW was sort of a pain because you had to remove the filler cap assembly and then reach down through the filler hole to undo hose clamps on each side of the filter. The Triumph was a little easier because the filter (actually the same filter used by BMW) came out with the fuel pump assembly. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, BBB said:

If you search for MT 09 fuel filters online, replacement parts show a half-moon filter. It could be inside our pumps, but certainly looks like a non service item.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZoHXFFv4DSuhXGQcA

Interesting. That doesn't look anything like the Tracer 900 fuel pump assembly photos I find online. I wonder if this is intended as an internal replacement part for Yamaha's sub-assembly? 

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, keithu said:

Interesting. That doesn't look anything like the Tracer 900 fuel pump assembly photos I find online. I wonder if this is intended as an internal replacement part for Yamaha's sub-assembly? 

I talked to the service tech and he confirmed that it is a sort of dome shaped filter that is part of the fuel pump, non-serviceable to the end user.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

I talked to the service tech and he confirmed that it is a sort of dome shaped filter that is part of the fuel pump, non-serviceable to the end user.

I have seen aftermarket replacement fuel filters for the R1 and R6. So I would think they are out there for the 09, might be the same filter and they were not expensive.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member

This reply is a bit redundant now as it's essentially been answered but FWIW - There's only one reference (below) in the early vintage Tracer/FJ bikes for fuel filter and NO reference to fuel filter at all in an XSR 2016 service manual: -

1363667505_FuelFilter.thumb.JPG.6efb076f939537e13c9323aae9328e2c.JPG

Fuel filter is in the fuel pump unit inside the tank... the whole fuel pump/fuel filter is practically one whole piece iirc... 

I have my OEM fuel system from my FZ-07 on the shelf- I can look at it/or post pictures of it- 

20200227_200227.thumb.jpg.2e54fb05a05fef4053e5983f5bf66016.jpg

20200227_200418.thumb.jpg.8b367af1f39e284fb33e605a6c023a9a.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

If the FZ,FJ,XSR,MT09Tracer fuel pump is similar to the FZ07, then the filter shown is more of a cleanse screen to catch big crap but not really a true micron size filter; though it could be cleaned in place but does not look readily replaceable.

Or is it?

15 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

If the FZ,FJ,XSR,MT09Tracer fuel pump is similar to the FZ07, then the filter shown is more of a cleanse screen to catch big crap but not really a true micron size filter; though it could be cleaned in place but does not look readily replaceable.

Or is it?

I looked into the fuel pump more- the bag looking filter is 2 filters in 1 - it's got another mesh bagged filter element inside the white filter bag... the second filter is molded around what I can feel as a plastic pickup tray- this filter looks like some type of long fine metal fibers encased in a mesh bag...this can be easily removed via the orange clip and the actual fuel pump slides right out so that is also easily replaceable... 

The silver object on the left side of the fuel pump unit looks to be a pressure type bypass valve and is not attached to the fuel filter looking bag... I also cannot tell what is inside the left side of the fuel pump unit as it is sealed together... shining a flashlight thru the plastic sides shows it's kinda empty inside but something is there like an actual micron filter because I can move the light around and see some type of structure inside like a screen cage...

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks, good info to log away but unfortunately I can't remember what I had for dinner last night

This info will still be here on the forum for future use... 

• Thumbsup 1

So to summarize - the filter is part of the fuel pump assy, and as such you cannot order a filter from Yamaha. If you want to replace just the filter you need to source it from another means (difficult to R&R without wrecking things, just as a heads up, as I’ve done them on H-D’s and they are tricky). Or replace the pump with an OE assy.  

btw NorCal -that “silvery” thing you refer to is the fuel pressure regulator, which is also part of the pump assy. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1