Anyone upgrade to fj from versys 650.

I traded a 2013 V650 on the FJ. I loved that silly thing and miss it's personality. The ergos are similar, weight is within 5 pounds.
I got the V to supplement my FJR and had a fine FZ-1 until bambi attacked. Think of the FJ as a Versys with twice the power and torque out the wazoo. There will be no curb hopping or rough terrain with FJ though, even though suspension travel is longer than most bikes it's vitals sit low.

Good luck

I owned a 2008 Versys for three years and I really liked it! I outfitted it with heated grips, hard side cases, luggage rack, removable top case, aux. lights, taller windscreen etc. I am a big guy 6'4" 240lbs, and I made the Versys work for me but I spent a lot of my highway cruising time wishing for a bit more power. The Versys was not bad around town but I really had to work the shifter while making passes etc. This was especially true when carrying my youngest daughter, who was a regular pillion on motorcycle ride nights.   (wife rides her own bike!)

I looked at the new Versys 1000, Suzuki V-strom 1000, Ducati Multistrata, a used Honda Veradero, and several similar bikes in this class. I chose the FJ-09. It reminds me SO much of that first Versys that I had. Light, fast, handles well. All the things that I look for in a bike. The new Versys 1000 is around 100 lbs heavier than the FJ and not that much more power, the Duc' is WAYY more expensive with a much more involved, read costly, maintenance schedule. The others all just fell short for one reason or another, usually several reasons!!

As stated by Satacruz, the FJ has more power, centre stand, ride modes and several other benefits over the 650 VERSYS. The FJ is a REALLY good bike. I know that the magazines have been slamming it a little bit for having "budget suspension" and a few other things. I just picked mine up and find that the suspension, as set up by dealer,  is every bit as good as it was on the Versys. I have been riding for over 40 years and I think the FJ handles just fine. (but to be honest, I am not a track day rider/racer either) I will continue to fettle with it and see if I can get it even better. Also I have not noticed any issues with the throttle response at low speeds. No "herky jerkies" while on and off the gas.

And I don't think I will EVER get tired of the growl and the wonderful noise of that triple!!

Go ahead and get an FJ-09. You will not be disappointed.

Since you LOVE your current ride I would suggest that you hold off until you are able to take an FJ for an extended test ride. There will always be something new that comes along that makes you think about trading but sometimes it is best to muster a little restraint and hold off for awhile.

I also had a 2009 Versys from new until just yesterday. (Owned both for a few weeks)

The FJ-09 is just better all around in most things. It's a perfect upgrade, but costs more than a Versys 650.

Things I liked better about the Versys

* Thinner = easier lane splitting. FJ-09 has pretty wide handles. Versys was just about the perfect lane splitting bike.

* Wired throttle was easier to control than FJ-09's electronic throttle, especially at low throttle. FJ-09 throttle is very twitchy at 1-5% open.

Steering is just different.  The Versys was more stable, but the FJ-09 is more flickable.

Steering is just different.  The Versys was more stable, but the FJ-09 is more flickable.
Give yourself more time to get used to the wider bars, then the FJ-09 will be just as stable as the Versys. Wider bars means for the same rider input more effect on front wheel.

I had the same issue when I went from an SV650S (with clip-ons) to a Street Triple R. Similar wheelbase and geometry, just different bars.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Handle bar (ends) height wise, are both the same or which is higher up (Bike is vertical)? I had my Versys handle bars raised by 1" to help avoid most car side view mirrors and is great for lane splitting. I suppose the FJ bars can also be raised with the addition of some sort of a spacer or custom bar mounts.

Archived