Faulty ABS Pump

• Supporting Member

A few months ago I installed Spiegler steel braided brake lines.  After putting everything back together and bleeding the brakes I decided to go out and do an ABS brake check.  The rear is fairly easy to actuate on pavement, I was surprised to find out that instead of pulsing and gradually slowing down that it pulsed twice and then locked up and skidded.  I decided to try the front brakes, I rode to an area with a grassy patch and with my feet out like outriggers, I hit the brakes at about 10mph, sure enough the front pulsed twice and then skidded as well.  -Not good.

I decided to bleed the brakes, to no avail, problem still continued.  I took it to the dealer to have them hook it up to the scan tool and manually actuate the pump while they flushed the fluid.  In the shop the tool showed the ABS pump operating normally but when they took it out in the parking lot, they got it to skid as well. 

Since it was operating (thankfully) abnormally for them as well, the service manager decided to order a new pump and replace it under a warranty claim.  After waiting awhile to get the pump in (delivered from Japan), they replaced it today and everything is now working as it should.  Two big thumbs up for Motorsports of Olympia and a service manager with integrity that is willing to help the customer.  👍👍

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

10 hours ago, betoney said:

A few months ago I installed Spiegler steel braided brake lines.  After putting everything back together and bleeding the brakes I decided to go out and do an ABS brake check.  The rear is fairly easy to actuate on pavement, I was surprised to find out that instead of pulsing and gradually slowing down that it pulsed twice and then locked up and skidded.  I decided to try the front brakes, I rode to an area with a grassy patch and with my feet out like outriggers, I hit the brakes at about 10mph, sure enough the front pulsed twice and then skidded as well.  -Not good.

I decided to bleed the brakes, to no avail, problem still continued.  I took it to the dealer to have them hook it up to the scan tool and manually actuate the pump while they flushed the fluid.  In the shop the tool showed the ABS pump operating normally but when they took it out in the parking lot, they got it to skid as well. 

Since it was operating (thankfully) abnormally for them as well, the service manager decided to order a new pump and replace it under a warranty claim.  After waiting awhile to get the pump in (delivered from Japan), they replaced it today and everything is now working as it should.  Two big thumbs up for Motorsports of Olympia and a service manager with integrity that is willing to help the customer.  👍👍

Glad they were able to quickly resolve your issue and took care of you in a professional manner.  After a couple of conversations with my local dealers service department there is no way I would let them work on my bike.  The day I picked up my new Tracer there were two inexcusable pre delivery defects.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

@betoney I had the same experience when I did the Speigler line, having the dealer bleed the lines took care of the problem. My GT has 8000mi on it and I probably  only rode 10mi after the install  before having the dealer bleed the lines. How many miles did you put on after the install before taking it to the dealer? I'm glad to hear the dealer and Yamaha are taking care of you👍

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

@betoney I had the same experience when I did the Speigler line, having the dealer bleed the lines took care of the problem. My GT has 8000mi on it and I probably  only rode 10mi after the install  before having the dealer bleed the lines. How many miles did you put on after the install before taking it to the dealer? I'm glad to hear the dealer and Yamaha are taking care of you👍

When I installed the new lines, the bike had 44k miles.  After changing the lines, I did a test ride of maybe 2-3 miles before taking it to the dealer.  They did a complete system flush and bleed as well as extensive diagnostic on the ABS pump, and as I said everything worked perfect in the shop-as per the diagnostics but failed in a real-world test.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Glad they were able to quickly resolve your issue and took care of you in a professional manner.  After a couple of conversations with my local dealers service department there is no way I would let them work on my bike.  The day I picked up my new Tracer there were two inexcusable pre delivery defects.  

I am extremely fortunate to have a dealer with a trustworthy service department, its a family owned business and they have always taken care of me even in 'last minute notice' scenarios, to get me back on the road.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 2/28/2020 at 10:10 AM, betoney said:

I am extremely fortunate to have a dealer with a trustworthy service department, its a family owned business and they have always taken care of me even in 'last minute notice' scenarios, to get me back on the road.

Do you think this was related to replacing the brake lines? or to them being different than OEM? 

(Considering replacing to braided lines as well, so this got me worries)

1 hour ago, sterlinggold said:

Do you think this was related to replacing the brake lines? or to them being different than OEM? 

I can’t see any reason why they should be related @sterlinggold. I, and lots of others on the forum, have swapped to braided lines with no ABS problems. The lines just have stiffer side walls.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, sterlinggold said:

I can't imagine how the lines could cause the pump to malfunction, you literally remove a bolt, swap the line and replace the bolt for each of the 4 lines.  The dealer did a road test and 'bench test' on the computer and could not get the pump to operate like it should.  After swapping the pump, it worked correctly.

If you are interested to run a test before you consider swapping the lines, ride it in a dirt or gravel lot and see if the ABS activates and pulses or if it just immediately locks up the wheel and skids.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Toddtr said:

Has anyone here ever made up their own braided lines? 

Its not cheap. Almost all custom hose guys are mobile and you pay dearly for that.

Unless you're taking, diy hose making, f that noise for me. Pressure crimped hoses all day for me.

Edited by kilo3
spelwing

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, Toddtr said:

Has anyone here ever made up their own braided lines? 

I have, for various custom hybrid builds we’ve done over the years.   Technically, I suppose that ‘I have’ should really mean ‘my mechanic has’ in this context...  

It’s not hard, once you source the bulk line and fittings.   That said, if there are ready-made kits available for the application you need (such as the Tracer/FJ), I would definitely just buy ‘em instead of make ‘em...