Quick Shifting Blues

2 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

I'd rather rev the gear out when overtaking and change when in front

Agree totally, I remember trying the quickshifter several times on my test ride but this was the only time during the test that I felt the quickshifter was close to useful for my style of riding.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:32 PM, Dodgy Knees said:

QS are a novelty function on the open road. Completely unnecessary but can be fun under hard acceleration.  More useful on track.  Imo.

Definitely agree.  I use mine occasionally on tight mountain roads during spirited riding.  A downshifting option would be really nice.  I've had factory fitted up and down QS's on two bikes in the past.  

• Premium Member
On 3/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, Death Sprockett said:

That makes perfect sense, at the moment I'm just running errands around town and getting a feel for the bike. Next time I'm out on the freeway I'll lean into the throttle and try it and see how it feels.

The longest ride so far was to Cycle Gear to get a pair of gloves without knuckle guards so I can turn the key without removing my glove first 😁

Thanks for the info...

I hope you and everyone else who notices the lack of space to get the key in and out does what someone here posted ( I think it was here anyway ) just turn the two handlebar mount brackets around and the the shorter end will be at the key side and the little tabbed end will point back towards you.  No charge, but a nice improvement in my book.  

As per the the owner manual page 3-25 quick shifter has to be used above 20 km/h (12 mi/h) and 2300 tr/mn, but doesn't work if clutch lever is pulled.

I've no habbit to use it and recognize that when I use it I'm always wondering if gearbox will explode 🙂, so I do not do it "naturally".

Denis

On 3/1/2020 at 3:17 PM, Death Sprockett said:

It's pretty nice out so I've been putting some miles on the tracer, getting a feel for the bike. One thing I really don't like is the quick shifter, I know it's supposed to be better on the gears, but it just doesn't feel natural. Maybe I just need some time with it, but I find that I'm more confident in my ability to shift the bike. 

Could be I'm using it wrong, but when pulling (not hard mind you), I pull it up into the next gear. I can feel the engine pause and the gear engage and then there's a small jump. I tried compensating with the throttle but that seems to make it worse, so I fell back to shifting on my own.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

-Paul-

Maybe doing something wrong.  What RPM's are you shifting at, and with what throttle?

The quickshifter is designed to shift at high RPMs under acceleration.  It's clunkier at steady speed, and significantly so at low RPM and/or minimal throttle.  That is, it's not great to use to shift into a cruising gear after acceleration, and definitely not if you're putszing about at 3-4k rpm.  It certainly works fine, but often feels like a clumsier shift.  

Where the QS shines, though, is under hard acceleration.  Then it's super slick.  So, tap when accelerating, shift normally otherwise.  

On 3/7/2020 at 12:54 PM, fjray said:

I hope you and everyone else who notices the lack of space to get the key in and out does what someone here posted ( I think it was here anyway ) just turn the two handlebar mount brackets around and the the shorter end will be at the key side and the little tabbed end will point back towards you.  No charge, but a nice improvement in my book.  

~takes a walk out to the garage to look at handlebar risers~

Oh!  Just the caps on top of the risers!  Brilliant idea.  Just a little, but yeah, it's damn awkward to get your hand in there when gloved.  Particularly with my giant paws in 4XL gloves.

26 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

~takes a walk out to the garage to look at handlebar risers~

Oh!  Just the caps on top of the risers!  Brilliant idea.  Just a little, but yeah, it's damn awkward to get your hand in there when gloved.  Particularly with my giant paws in 4XL gloves.

I may have this wrong, but its more than just turning the riser caps. I thought you had to take off the riser caps, remove the handlebar and then turn the risers themselves (i.e. the parts that come up from the upper triple tree) through 180 degrees.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Just now, BBB said:

I may have this wrong, but its more than just turning the riser caps. I thought you had to take off the riser caps, remove the handlebar and then turn the risers themselves (i.e. the parts that come up from the upper triple tree) through 180 degrees.

Stock risers come facing backwards, at least mine did.  But the caps have a notchy point that sticks out another half inch or so forwards.  See here:15839483769256906641652646653107.thumb.jpg.7b80b17036934d3c231a3f114f74a2b7.jpg

The back side of the caps don't have that lip.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

@BBB, @Wintersdark - In case you didnt know, the bottom of those top caps have a threaded attachment hole.  I screwed in a plate to attach the "power-on" LED for my MCCruise, so it is in direct line of sight.

image.thumb.png.982c61d6cedfd15226013e30f46f0905.png

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I looked in the manual and even if you rotate the handlebar mounts (as I thought you were intending), it shows to put the upper caps back on with the tabs pointing forwards. It then suggests checking that you are clear of the petrol tank, but I can’t see the tabs reaching that far back!

I knew of the holes underneath @betoney, but only because someone on the forum had mounted something else there. I keep wondering what I could use it for 😁

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

13 minutes ago, BBB said:

I knew of the holes underneath @betoney, but only because someone on the forum had mounted something else there. I keep wondering what I could use it for 😁

I'm thinking of a strip of aluminum across both, then I could mount accessory switches to it.   My LED floodlamp is currently just wired to one of the unused accessory cables in the cluster, so it's always on when the bike is on (I didn't want to start trying to tie it into the highbeams, because the whole lighting system is weirdly complex and incredibly expensive to replace) and I'm quite short on handlebar space for more controls as it stands.  But it'd be really easy to get a couple lit LED switches in there that way, nice and neatly.

Edit: And as a bonus, I'd prefer such switches be on the rider side of the handlebars anyways, making flipping those caps around more beneficial!

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I'm thinking of a strip of aluminum across both, then I could mount accessory switches to it.   My LED floodlamp is currently just wired to one of the unused accessory cables in the cluster, so it's always on when the bike is on (I didn't want to start trying to tie it into the highbeams, because the whole lighting system is weirdly complex and incredibly expensive to replace) and I'm quite short on handlebar space for more controls as it stands.  But it'd be really easy to get a couple lit LED switches in there that way, nice and neatly.

You could fabricate something similar to what @angusmcoz posted, raising the switches higher for easy access.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***