CustomLED Blaster-X Tail Light

First mod I did to my 2020 tracer is the Custom LED Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light.
Quite honestly I am a little let down on this piece, but not enough to warrant a return of any sorts.

The running light is much brighter than stock which is great, but when the brake is applied it is on par or less than the OEM, but much more directional which is not a good thing. See photos.
Photos were taking at set ISO and manual settings, so no trickery here.

Stock Running lights:
49617808137_b1013a6677_c.jpg

Blaster-X Running lights:
49617549661_064f04844f_c.jpg

Stock Brake lights:
49617031623_c31fe735d9_c.jpg

Blaster-X Brake lights:
49617031503_d2ceb68fa1_c.jpg

If I crouched down a little, i got a better glow, more similar to OEM.
49617549696_3063aae940_c.jpg

As you can see, it's clearly as bright at certain angles, but has a smaller range of which the light is as bright as OEM.
However with the additional strobe effect when the brake is pressed, this is probably a moot point.
I did not hook up the turn signals that are integrated into the brake light, so that I can not attest to.
Installation is as easy as popping the rear seat, two bolts on the light, and one connector (again only brake functionality at this point).

FZ-09-tail-light-2_81b5d57a-8340-4f6b-a5

Yamaha Tracer 900/GT Ultra-Bright Programmable Integrated...

• Like 1

I have one and I personally think it's fantastic. Just the flash modes alone make this worth every penny but I really hated the OEM not lighting up all the way in running mode. I see what you are saying about brightness but I think the flash modes will overcome your concerns.

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, rodb47 said:

Just the flash modes alone make this worth every penny but I really hated the OEM not lighting up all the way in running mode.

I agree with your comment on Yamaha's minimal running light, so small its barely visible.  This light looks like a huge improvement.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I added an LED strobe controller from ebay (for £4) and now get this strobe effect when I press the brakes. An extra strip of cheap LEDs illuminates the rear nicely.

[Really sorry about the music, my freaking phone added this without my knowledge and I really can't be bothered to reload it to youtube.]

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

From a safety and visibility POV I think flashing and changing patterns are really what counts, rather than absolute brightness.

It is unlikely some one will run you over as you are cruising down the road showing only the tail light.

But slowing for an intersection or to back off a tail-gater, the strobe really does the job.

The BlasterX has 12 different flashing programs it can run, and I've used several of them.  I think the best are a combo of strobe functions and repeated short / long bursts.  The changing patterns really get noticed.

Hey, anybody use a headlight modulator, or did they go the way of the dodo?

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

@kilo3 According to their website the brightness levels are adjustable.  Did you try that?

Programmable Features

The Custom LED Blaster-X 2nd Generation Programming Interface allows users to easily customize features of the tail light!  The customizable features menu allows users to:

• Enable or Disable the Startup Sequence.
  • Choose from 11 different Brake Alert patterns (can also disable Brake Alert).
  • Adjust the running light brightness within a preset range.
  • Adjust the brake light brightness within a preset range.
  • Engage Demo Mode, where the tail light cycles through all functions automatically and repeatedly!
  • Reset factory defaults.
  • Thumbsup 1

Funny enough they just reached out to me today about the brightness issue.
They think something ain't right.
I'll be setting it up on the bench for a solid A/B comparison.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

Funny enough they just reached out to me today about the brightness issue.
They think something ain't right.
I'll be setting it up on the bench for a solid A/B comparison.

When you started the original post last week I went ahead and bought one.  I just got it in the mail a few minutes ago and got it installed, to be honest, I am really disappointed.  The fit on mine is terrible, I have the screws very tight and the unit still flops around, comparing it to the stock unit it doesn't look any brighter than stock it just has the middle section lit up for running lights, in fact I had to get down on one knee so it was eye level to even see it very good.  $150 for an extra 1"x3" wider running light that has to be viewed at specific angles.

The biggest disappointment is that every custom programing feature listed is ONLY available if you wire in a toggle switch, if you don't do that then you cant use use ANY of the advertised features.  Why couldn't they explicitly list that in the product description or make mention of that when you add it to the cart to check out? 

• Thumbsup 1

Woahhh.

You can program the unit  by simply touching the black wire to ground. That can be the frame member by the taillight or batt.  Turn off the key, hold the wire against the frame, and tuen on the key.  This places light in Program mode.  Repeatedly touch the wire firmly to the frame and count to the program you want to run (1-through 12 I think).  The Light will revert to non-program mode after a few seconds.  That's all there is to programming the light.

It should fit tight and exactly, unless you have the wrong one (FZ, MT, FJ, Tracer, etc.)  Make sure it is for the year and model of your bike.

I've never measured actual lumen output. But, my long-time riding buddy says it is a lot brighter than my stock FJ when the brakes are applied and it does its thing.

I kept my pumpkin turn signals and used the Blaster wiring option to connect the tail light to them.  The blaster and pumpkins work in unison and NO relay is required since the pumpkins use regular bulbs not LEDs.  The flash rate is the same as with the stock light.

I really love my Blaster and am impressed with how well it fit and works.

And as a former technical writer, I'll tell you what I often tell my wife:  RTFM  :)

Edited by nhchris
  • Thanks 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, nhchris said:

And as a former technical writer, I'll tell you what I often tell my wife:  RTFM  :)

The packaging, packing slip and instructions ALL say it is for a '15-'17 FJ09.  In fact in the included instructions is where I found that you have to use a toggle switch.

CUSTOM LED TAIL LIGHT PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS

"You will need to have to strobe mode control wire (gray wire) connected to ground (-) through a toggle switch for easy programming"

Every single step of the programming sequence mentions the need of a toggle switch to cycle on/off the number of times you need.

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Yeah just touch the loose wire to ground for on, float (not connected to anything) for off. There you made a switch!

Well, its sure convenient that I have you and @nhchris to guide me because Custom LED couldn't be bothered to mention that.