heavypieceofshet to FJ

I'm happy to admit that supposedly, shaft drive no longer ruins handling.  Now, it's just a less-efficient, heavier way to drive the bike forward.

But, AFAIK, Vtwins with one jug left and one jug right still suffer from rocking due to the inertia of the crank and pistons, right?

I didn't say NO ONE should own them, just that they hold no interest to me.  I consider them to be hipster bait.

Guest eatpasta
you traduce me you cad 
I was considering a Moto Guzzi Stelvio and Norge a while back. They are very nice bikes and quite reliable nowadays it seems. It's a shame the dealer network is so sparse and rarely has the bike you want to look at in stock, let alone a demo bike.
I don't think I would ever buy a new bike that carries an undeniable design flaw as a proud part of its heritage.  Aren't all Guzzi's V twins, stuffed into the frame the wrong way?  FWIW, I'm no fan of boxer motors, either.  Any bike that exhibits a tendency to lean to one side when revved is no bike for me.
the effects of that are so small, I would almost consider it a rumor.  I wasnt a fan of the boxer until I had one and i have to say, the 1150GS will probably be the best motorcycle I have ever owned.   I beat the living crap out of the bike for almost 100k miles and had everything from my wife, to refrigerators to 57" TV's on the back and it never ONCE gave me any problems until the $10 cam chain rail broke.
    I seriously doubt many bikes could have handled what my GS did with relative ease

carrizo5_zps2ef36f2a.jpg

• Premium Member
@eatpasta, try a boxer twin from the 70s or 80s or a Guzzi from before the late 90s and you will get a noticeable torque reaction if you blip the throttle when at standstill. This effect scares some people when riding but it is entirely predictable and a decent rider will adapt. Just another thing blown out of proportion by people with a prejudice who like to associate a marque or format with a lifestyle they see as the other. Typically human but a bit tragic really.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest eatpasta
@eatpasta, try a boxer twin from the 70s or 80s or a Guzzi from before the late 90s and you will get a noticeable torque reaction if you blip the throttle when at standstill. This effect scares some people
csm_zps8ee1eay4.gif

you know what scares me?  Not riding.

@eatpasta, try a boxer twin from the 70s or 80s or a Guzzi from before the late 90s and you will get a noticeable torque reaction if you blip the throttle when at standstill. This effect scares some people when riding but it is entirely predictable and a decent rider will adapt. Just another thing blown out of proportion by people with a prejudice who like to associate a marque or format with a lifestyle they see as the other. Typically human but a bit tragic really.
Guys, relax.  Take a breath.  I didn't just slander your mother here, I just stated that I wouldn't buy a bike with a particular design flaw.  That doesn't mean you aren't free to buy, love or covet that same bike.  In fact, I think that's why there are so many different bikes, right? 
Personally, I try to buy bikes with the fewest number of design flaws that require adaptation of my riding.  Again, that's my personal choice.

I do take issue with the idea that my opinion of the marque or format has anything to do with the people who ride them, or their lifestyle (which for a Guzzi, is what?  Pasta?).  That concept is utter B.S.  Tragic, really.  Ride what you like.  I will.

• Premium Member
so you didn't say that Moto Guzzis are associated with what has become a pejorative term, i.e. hipster? Eh, @vespadaddy ?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

so you didn't say that Moto Guzzis are associated with what has become a pejorative term, i.e. hipster? Eh, @vespadaddy ?
HA!  Yes, I did.  You got me.  I did suggest that Guzzi's are Hipster Harl(e)ys.  Guilty.  And around Mpls, MN, USA, that's who's usually found on them.  As far as Hipster being pejorative... that's a stretch. 
My approach to bikes is maybe more analytical than some.  For instance, I have no brand loyalty, and will buy whatever bike that best fits my needs and budget.  And I've never understood why people bash on Honda for being 'soul-less' either (perhaps because I don't believe in the concept of souls in the first place).  But that also means I'm not likely to buy a bike with the jugs pointing at my knees just because it's considered 'cool'.

I've also bought motorbikes that some people associate with squids (GSX-R 1000, R6), but again, I based my decision on the merits of the bike, NOT the social stigma that is attached to the bike.

• Premium Member
HA!  Yes, I did.  You got me.  I did suggest that Guzzi's are Hipster Harl(e)ys.  Guilty.  And around Mpls, MN, USA, that's who's usually found on them.  As far as Hipster being pejorative... that's a stretch. 

Around Boston the hipsters tend to like the smaller Ducatis, like the Monster.  Guzzis are as rare as hen's teeth, and tend to be enthusiast bikes. 
Hipster is often used as a pejorative, but it really depends on the hipster.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Their bikes look awesome and their brand loyalty is so epic that they could stick two wheels on an actual turd, price it at $50,000 and people would stand in line to order it.

Technically they haven't been successful at selling everything.  The VRSC was a dud amongst the Faithful, with its metricness.  Too bad, it's a nice engine. 
They gave Buell kind of a raw deal too, not enough sales support and a kick in the butt as soon as the economy turned down.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest eatpasta
Personally, I try to buy bikes with the fewest number of design flaws that require adaptation of my riding.  Again, that's my personal choice.
This is pretty tough.  All bikes have flaws but I can see wanting to minimize that.     However how does that effect you riding different disciplines?  eg; do you ride dirt, SuMo, dirttrack, sportbikes?  They all require different skills and adaptations.

Hence my current bike is a triple, before that a 1200cc parallel twin with offset crank and a boxer twin before that. Previous bikes have been a 650cc single, 2 V4s, a parallel twin and one solitary inline four.
No V3? My last trip in Europe (far too long ago, 2002) I rode over 5K km on an NS400R. That was FUN! Riding in Europe is great, attending motoGP on a 2-stroke there was GREAT!  
I went (with lots of overlap): I2, I4, I4, I4, single 2-stroke, V-twin, I4, I4, I4, single 2-stroke, V-twin, I4, V-twin, big thumper, V3 2-stroke, parallel twin, I3, little thumper, I3, big thumper (very soon!)

Displacements: 400, 1100, 550, 750, 125, 750, 550, 1100, 600, 90, 650, 1100, 1000, 650, 400, 750, 675, 250, 850, 650.

I don't really have a bike type!
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
I went (with lots of overlap): I2, I4, I4, I4, single 2-stroke, V-twin, I4, I4, I4, single 2-stroke, V-twin, I4, V-twin, big thumper, V3 2-stroke, parallel twin, I3, little thumper, I3, big thumper (very soon!)

Displacements: 400, 1100, 550, 750, 125, 750, 550, 1100, 600, 90, 650, 1100, 1000, 650, 400, 750, 675, 250, 850, 650.

I don't really have a bike type!
Good lord. :-) 
I've only had four, five soon:

800 V2, 650 V2, 750 V2, 675 I3, and soon 850 I3.

The 800 and 750 twins were metric cruisers, the 650 twin was an SV650S I rigged for touring, the 675 I3 was a pure sportbike, and the FJ rounds it out.

I liked them all in different ways, but the real keeper was the SV650S.  I owned it the longest and rode it the most.  I'm betting the FJ will become my all-time favorite since it has a lot of the same qualities as the SV but with the character of the I3.

I'd like to own a thumper dual-sport at some point, and a small I2 is likely someday, and the only thing I have against I4s is that I usually don't like they way they sound.  The R1 is pretty good, but the one I would really love to have is the MV Agusta F4.  That thing sounds freaking amazing.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived