New Garmin Zumo XT Motorcycle GPS

betoney

• 1 month later...

I am reluctantly looking at a GPS, and this has made my list. Good reviews on YouTube so far.

Can GPS' be run off the cigarette lighter plug during a riding day without issue?

Just found a dealer in Canada...Wow! $700 Cdn?!? Might just have to stick with paper maps

Edited by hammer
  • Haha 2
Cheers!

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, hammer said:

I am reluctantly looking at a GPS, and this has made my list. Good reviews on YouTube so far.

Can GPS' be run off the cigarette lighter plug during a riding day without issue?

Just found a dealer in Canada...Wow! $700 Cdn?!? Might just have to stick with paper maps

I personally use a basic Garmin auto GPS.  I have both a Nuvi and a Drive, both 5" models and less than $100.  I don't recommend using anything in the 12v cigarette lighter plug long term, I have already replaced the socket and the 2nd one is now working intermittently as well.  I have my GPS hardwired to one of the switched auxiliary power sockets behind the screen, it always turns on and off with the key.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I did think about the purchase and the high cost of a TomTom rider sat nav for a long time before I bought one, I have no regrets and the thing works very well. But what do you want a sat nav for, I have always thought that they are fantastic for that last bit of a journey when you are looking for a particular address in an unknown area or getting you back to an area you know and if thats all you need a cheap car satnav  with a cover is all you need. I like to sit over the winter months and plan some routes picking the roads I want to use. (it helps me to stay awake  in the evening while my Wife is watching her American crime dramas on TV)

Over the past few months I have looked at and plotted the routes for a week long summer tour with my two riding buddy's (hopefully lockdown will be over by then)  3 day, 4 day or 5 day options for Scotland's north coast 500 and various routes to the start and home from the finish. 3 or 4 possible overnight camping runs and a few different day runs to a few good biker cafe's we want to try. Once you get used to software its easy enough and if we want a sat nav mistery tour we just plug in the destination pick windy route and see where it takes us. 

A sat nav can make life interesting but don't switch off your common sense and I still have and use a map.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

Once you get used to software its easy enough...

I have the TomTom Rider 400. Which software do you use for route planning @HGP61?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I use the My route app web page for any routes. Have only used the free option but you can upgrade to a premier edition with extra options. Works well but you choose your route by clicking points on the map depending on the scale of map you have selected you need to zoom in to junctions to make sure you haven't clicked a few meters in the wrong direction or it turns you in the wrong direction and immediatly askes you to U turn.

Find, make and share routes and export them to your GPS and navigation...

• Thumbsup 1

I've been using the XT on my 'wing for the past two months and it's pretty cool. I'm not saying it's irreplaceable, because many of its functions can be duplicated using your smart phone, but the fact that it's all packaged together makes for a very clean and easy to use product. My only two complaints thus far are the split keyboard (the buttons are made big enough to allow the use of gloves, but this limits the number of keyboard characters on the screen at one time), and the fact that it doesn't support speech recognition for address entry. This is a feature that is easily accomplished with modern smartphones and their assistant integration. I'm particularly fond of the Smart Notifications, and Alerts, as well as the Music/Navigation integration. The screen is brilliant. I have no problems seeing the screen in even the sunniest of days.

I often use MRA to create my routes and then export/import them into Garmin Explore. The routes will then automatically sync to the GPS via the Garmin Drive smartphone app. Rather brilliant, and you don't have to ever remove the unit from the motorcycle.

• Thanks 1

I have the TomTom 500, best bike sat nav I've had, program the routes via the phone app is best way. I have it plugged into a KTM power socket i had fitted on my Tracer, I didn't want to go down the route of connecting to an aux plug, just my preference, i also use it in the car as well

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, HGP61 said:

I use the My route app web page for any routes. Have only used the free option but you can upgrade to a premier edition with extra options. Works well but you choose your route by clicking points on the map depending on the scale of map you have selected you need to zoom in to junctions to make sure you haven't clicked a few meters in the wrong direction or it turns you in the wrong direction and immediatly askes you to U turn.

Find, make and share routes and export them to your GPS and navigation...

Is this only for GB / Europe and how come I don't see a free web based option?

• Premium Member

Your welcome here anytime.  Skokie is supposed to mean "stinky swamp" in our areas native people's tongue if that does not dissuade you.

The only decent riding around me is anywhere else. 😞

Thanks, I'll check it out and the XT.  My Nuvi 765T had the most and best features Garmin ever stuffed in a GPS less weather and curve routing but it's long in the tech tooth...

13 hours ago, betoney said:

I personally use a basic Garmin auto GPS.  I have a Drive, 5" model and less than $100

I thought about using the phone till I thought about using the phone. Where do I use my GPS the most? Mountains. Where do cell phones have problems getting signal? Mountains. Towers on the ground, satellites in space, yeah I bought a cheap Drive 5" refurb with Lifetime Maps for 59.00 free ship from Amazon a few years ago. It does what I want it to do . Thing I hate? Has a orange warning bar across the top that warns of curves, RR tracks, speed limit, etc. I tried turning it off in the tools but it's still there. The split screen is OK going through cities on Interstate to get you in the correct lane. And it does help if I'm feeling fatigued and the ride leader, uh his names Barry to be exact. At 6:30PM  with 30 minutes to the hotel decides he remembers this cool road so he'll change the route and next thing ya know it's 8 to 8:15 when we get back to the room and I'm dog tired. This way at 5:00 to 5:30 I can set the GPS to the hotel and I'm back, have had a shower and am just starting on my 2nd beer when they get back. That's the 1 thing as I get older the mental tiredness from Focus, Focus, Focus gets me earlier in the afternoon. I ride at the front of the pack and it's on like a chicken bone all day except lunch and gas stops. Thankfully I ride with Gen 2 VMaxes. They get 85-100 miles before needing gas bad. Of course they are putting out right at 200 RWHP and just have a 4 gallon tank. Here's my setup. I do have the power wire routed . This was right on install. The top pic has the newer case I got for it. Waterproof, has a visor over the screen to block the sun/glare. Works well. Yeah, cheap GPS = happy user. I don't worry about it. If someone yanks it while I'm off the bike in some city, oh well. I'll just buy another.IMG_6618.thumb.JPG.a12be078bcebaa32b6c5b7dfa7565e97.JPGIMG_6019.thumb.JPG.27906905887167485547bb28b4cadbfa.JPGIMG_6018.thumb.JPG.2e18315555f131bb7fc5876dfd7516aa.JPG

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 3

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!