Rode a 2020 Ninja 1000

Cruizin

My co worker let me take his new bike for a spin. Wow, I really really liked that bike. Smoothest fueling I've ever felt on a bike, handles really well and the TFT screen goes light or dark, like this forum.

Most comfortable stock seat I have ever sat on.  I know sport tourers are out and ADV bikes are all the rage, but that Ninja 1000 is pretty damn tempting. They knocked it out of the park on the 2020 Changes. 

$12,139 at the local dealer. Hmmmm.

• Thumbsup 7
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

My co worker let me take his new bike for a spin. Wow, I really really liked that bike. Smoothest fueling I've ever felt on a bike, handles really well and the TFT screen goes light or dark, like this forum.

Most comfortable stock seat I have ever sat on.  I know sport tourers are out and ADV bikes are all the rage, but that Ninja 1000 is pretty damn tempting. They knocked it out of the park on the 2020 Changes. 

$12,139 at the local dealer. Hmmmm.

Agreed, I test rode the Ninja 1000 a few years ago and was very impressed except my knees were quite a bit more bent, now that it has dual direction quick shifter and cruise control - game changer! and the features offered for the price is rediculous. 

new 2020
NINJA® 1000SX
MSRP $12,399
Additional Vehicle Features:
  • NEW Enhanced Chassis featuring Bosch IMU
  • NEW Kawasaki Cornering Management Function (KCMF)
  • NEW Kawasaki Intelligent Anti-Lock Brake System (KIBS)
  • NEW Electronic Throttle Valves
  • NEW Integrated Riding Modes
  • NEW Kawasaki Quick Shifter (KQS)
  • NEW Electronic Cruise Control
  • NEW ECU Tuning
  • NEW TFT Color Instrumentation
  • NEW Smartphone Connectivity via RIDEOLOGY THE APP
  • NEW Bridgestone BATTALAX Hypersport S22 Tires
  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I only rode it for 20 miles, but damn I fell in love with that bike. I don't know what they put in that new seat but it's the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden on. 

The 2019 ninja 1000 did not handle as well as this new one. It was good, but this new Ninja, I would take it to trackday stock , it's that good.

And the Power, my God there was power everywhere, smooth power at any rpm. I was in fifth gear doing 25 mph and just twisted the throttle and it took off like a rocket. 

I'm seriously considering buying one. Deal of the century at that price. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I only rode it for 20 miles, but damn I fell in love with that bike. I don't know what they put in that new seat but it's the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden on. 

The 2019 ninja 1000 did not handle as well as this new one. It was good, but this new Ninja, I would take it to trackday stock , it's that good.

And the Power, my God there was power everywhere, smooth power at any rpm. I was in fifth gear doing 25 mph and just twisted the throttle and it took off like a rocket. 

I'm seriously considering buying one. Deal of the century at that price. 

I have a 2013 Ninja 1000, the first generation.  The engine is amazing.....ridiculous power everywhere.  Loads of low and midrange thrust.  The 2020 is an incredible bang for the buck in a sport tourer and has many new features and improvements compared to my 2013.  For me the Ninja 1000 is more on the sport side of the sport touring equation than the Tracer in spite of the few extra pounds.  

However I find the Tracer much more agreeable for long rides and bought it largely for the more generous ergonomics and lighter weight.  Had I not bought the Tracer last year I might be visiting my Kawasaki dealer.  

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

If I had to replace my FJ-09 tomorrow I'd have to give this a serious look. I'm not sure my knees could handle it; I used to tour on a TT600 but that was almost 20 years ago now.

Speaking of bang-for-the-buck: my local dealer is blowing out 2019 Ninja 1000s for $7999. I'll bet you could install MCcruise, a custom seat, upgrade the suspension and still save money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keithu said:

If I had to replace my FJ-09 tomorrow I'd have to give this a serious look. I'm not sure my knees could handle it; I used to tour on a TT600 but that was almost 20 years ago now.

Speaking of bang-for-the-buck: my local dealer is blowing out 2019 Ninja 1000s for $7999. I'll bet you could install MCcruise, a custom seat, upgrade the suspension and still save money.

Holy crap where do you live?

I had a 2013 N1K and then a 2017 model.

My biggest complaint was how hot the bike ran and the short gearing. I was always looking for 7th gear.

But smooth and powerful.

I actually find my Tracer GT more fun and flickable and of course the triple engine has far more character than the i-4.

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Holy crap where do you live?

Power Motorsports, Sublimity Oregon

• 333 SW Sublimity Blvd
  • Sublimity OR 97385
  • Call or Text: 503.769.8888
  • Fax: 503.769.8927

According to their online inventory, they have 2 - 2019's @ $7,999

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Heavy breathing... 

I rode a 2018 H2 SX SE, and it was a stunning motorcycle.   Smooth, fast, refined, fast, beautifully finished, fast, comfortable, fast...  did I mention it's fast?   The new 2020 'Plus' model adds even more features, and finally a color scheme that I actually like.   I'm still thinking there is one of these in my future.

That $25,000 price, however, is the proverbial elephant in the room.  It's an irrational purchase when something as nice as the new Ninja 1000 can be had for less than half the money.   And if you go with the 2019 model, you could get THREE for the price of the 2020 H2 SX SE +

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

Power Motorsports, Sublimity Oregon

• 333 SW Sublimity Blvd
  • Sublimity OR 97385
  • Call or Text: 503.769.8888
  • Fax: 503.769.8927

According to their online inventory, they have 2 - 2019's @ $7,999

That's the place. Something I like about Power is their advertised prices are "out the door" sans state taxes and registration. They won't try to tack on $1000 worth of freight/setup to that $7999 price.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

I had a 2013 N1K and then a 2017 model.

My biggest complaint was how hot the bike ran and the short gearing. I was always looking for 7th gear.

But smooth and powerful.

I actually find my Tracer GT more fun and flickable and of course the triple engine has far more character than the i-4.

Rob

I agree that the bike needed a taller 6th gear.  With all the low and midrange torque the engine produced it could have been a much taller final drive ratio.  However I never experienced the heat issue you described.  Ivan had a flash for the 2011 ~ 2013 that was nothing short of black magic.  Like you I like my Tracer GT better overall, but when I want to do some local road crime with friends I take the Ninja.  😁 

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

All this talk made me curious, so went to the local dealer to check the bike out. They say that they have sold every one of them they were able to get before they even made it to the floor. They said they cannot get any more for now until distributer inventory catches up. Kawasaki may have a hot seller on their hands. I considered the new Versys 1000 before buying my GT, but the price of $17,999 for the new model turned me away. The new Ninja has all the features for the most part as the Versys except for side bags, for $5,000 dollars less. I like my GT too much to trade, but if the Ninja had been out earlier, I might be riding a Kawasaki instead. 

• Like 3

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, kingfisher said:

All this talk made me curious, so went to the local dealer to check the bike out. They say that they have sold every one of them they were able to get before they even made it to the floor. They said they cannot get any more for now until distributer inventory catches up. Kawasaki may have a hot seller on their hands. I considered the new Versys 1000 before buying my GT, but the price of $17,999 for the new model turned me away. The new Ninja has all the features for the most part as the Versys except for side bags, for $5,000 dollars less. I like my GT too much to trade, but if the Ninja had been out earlier, I might be riding a Kawasaki instead. 

The electronic suspension on the Versys figures into the price as well.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, kingfisher said:

I considered the new Versys 1000 before buying my GT, but the price of $17,999 for the new model turned me away.

For those of you who have not ridden the Versys 1000, don't brush it off just because it is not as sexy as the Ninja, it is an EXTREMELY competent bike with much friendlier ergonomics.  Feature-wise it is just a step ahead of the FJR for the same price.

• Thumbsup 1