Rode a 2020 Ninja 1000

Cruizin

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

For those of you who have not ridden the Versys 1000, don't brush it off just because it is not as sexy as the Ninja, it is an EXTREMELY competent bike with much friendlier ergonomics.  Feature-wise it is just a step ahead of the FJR for the same price.

Power Motorsports has two 2019 Versys 1000LT+ models in stock for $13,500.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, keithu said:

Power Motorsports has two 2019 Versys 1000LT+ models in stock for $13,500.

You are like the devil on my shoulder.  😈

Thanks for the heads up, I have watched their prices for a few years and always surprised at some of the deals they offer.

• Haha 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I just spent some time digging into the details of the new 2020 Ninja 1000SX, and I have to say it looks REALLY impressive.   They are definitely positioning it as a Gentleman's Express sport-tourer...  half of the photos in the brochure are shown with saddle bags and a passenger, and the overall style and paint scheme is so much more refined than the Ninjas of old.

My one gripe:  I personally think they need to ditch the Ninja name entirely on this bike.  I get the heritage and market awareness of the name, but I just think it sends the wrong initial message.  Call it a ZX-1000 SX (or whatever), because it looks to be a great motorcycle that deserves its own identity.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I just spent some time digging into the details of the new 2020 Ninja 1000SX, and I have to say it looks REALLY impressive.   They are definitely positioning it as a Gentleman's Express sport-tourer...  half of the photos in the brochure are shown with saddle bags and a passenger, and the overall style and paint scheme is so much more refined than the Ninjas of old.

My one gripe:  I personally think they need to ditch the Ninja name entirely on this bike.  I get the heritage and market awareness of the name, but I just think it sends the wrong initial message.  Call it a ZX-1000 SX (or whatever), because it looks to be a great motorcycle that deserves its own identity.

I agree with you on that. Many insurance companies charge huge rates for it because of the ninja name and past experiences with squids killing themselves on the ninjas of old. Time to dump the ninja name.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I find it interesting how two companies in the same business can do market research and come up with opposite results. I'm thinking here of Kawasaki and Honda.

Honda used the name "Fireblade" in Europe, but market research led them to use "CBR-RR" in the USA.

Kawasaki used the name "Ninja" in the USA, but market research led them to use "ZXR" in Europe.

• Like 2

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I just spent some time digging into the details of the new 2020 Ninja 1000SX, and I have to say it looks REALLY impressive.

Dual direction quick shifter + slipper clutch + intelligent lean angle traction control - what more do you need for aggressive hooliganism?   Miles and miles of twisty canyon roads... 😎👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

Just out of curiousity, what is the sitting position like when compared to the Tracers?  That is something I do like about the Yamaha and that is the upright position = no/little weight on the wrists.  The Ninja appears to be more sport orientated and I assume a more forward leaning position but interested in hearing what the experience was for those who've ridden it.

3 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Just out of curiousity, what is the sitting position like when compared to the Tracers?  That is something I do like about the Yamaha and that is the upright position = no/little weight on the wrists.  The Ninja appears to be more sport orientated and I assume a more forward leaning position but interested in hearing what the experience was for those who've ridden it.

I own a 2013 Ninja 1000.  The ergonomics have not changed over the years as far as I can tell.  The Ninja has less leg room and the bars do not come up as high as the Tracers.  It is definitely more of a sport oriented riding position, but for me it was still comfortable enough to do some touring.  For further comparison, I used to ride a VFR 800 and the Ninja has a more upright riding position than the VFR.  

Now that I have the Tracer, I still ride both, but if I am going to hit the road for a few days I am more likely to leave the Ninja at home. 

For what it is worth, I am 58 years old and 6'1" tall with a 34 inch inseam.

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, betoney said:

ROAD TRIP!

Fly & ride!   I’ve done it before, and would absolutely do it again.

Let’s see:  Pick up that new H2 SX SE+ at Sublimity, and burn a couple of weeks taking the long way back to the Texas gulf coast...  what’s not to like about that plan? 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Fly & ride!   I’ve done it before, and would absolutely do it again.

Let’s see:  Pick up that new H2 SX SE+ at Sublimity, and burn a couple of weeks taking the long way back to the Texas gulf coast...  what’s not to like about that plan? 

No kidding, that sounds awesome.  I could surely assist suggesting a route across Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and into Colorado. 😎👍 

• Thumbsup 1

I was gonna buy from Power Motorsports thanks to the recommendation above. But now I'm looking at the possibility of having to take two unpaid weeks from work if/when I catch this virus. I have money saved up to cover two weeks, but that cuts out of my "New Bike" budget. 

I want the new Ninja, but would sure as hell settle for a 2019 model at that price after this sickness hysteria is over. I'm done with ADV bikes. Too tall, without the ability to actually take em off road. I was thinking about the Tenere 700, but its too freaking heavy to take off road or on trails. 

There is no "one bike fits" all solution for me. I am on a two bike limit so I'm going with one true dirtbike for trails, and a sports tourer for commuting and canyon carving. 

What I like about the ninja 1000 is that I can lean forward for the Canyons, but can also sit up straight for around town and highway riding. I have short legs, on a dirtbike that means leaning the bike over to put one foot down when I stop. But on the road, that sucks at every traffic stop on a tall ADV bike.  I'm 5' 11" , with 30" inseam.  Tall trunk, short legs. 

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

If this all blows over and you decide to buy at Power Motorsports after all, let me know. I only live about 30 minutes away and it would be fun to ride up, say "hi," and maybe guide you on a couple local twisties. 🙂  

• Thumbsup 1