Rode a 2020 Ninja 1000

Cruizin

1 hour ago, keithu said:

If this all blows over and you decide to buy at Power Motorsports after all, let me know. I only live about 30 minutes away and it would be fun to ride up, say "hi," and maybe guide you on a couple local twisties. 🙂  

Will let you know for sure!

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Another very positive review of the 2020 Ninja 1000, courtesy of Ari Henning:  

ZLA_WEST_200518_PHOTOS_NINJA_1000-01770_

For those who still value performance...

“When it comes down to it, the Ninja 1000SX is a nearly ideal solution for those of you who, like me, are drawn to sport bikes but can’t stomach the compromise of a purebred supersport. From city streets to the open road to your favorite section of serpentine blacktop, the 1000SX excels thanks to a brute of an engine, sensible ergonomics, a well tuned chassis, and useful features.“

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 5:59 PM, dazzler24 said:

Just out of curiousity, what is the sitting position like when compared to the Tracers?  That is something I do like about the Yamaha and that is the upright position = no/little weight on the wrists.  The Ninja appears to be more sport orientated and I assume a more forward leaning position but interested in hearing what the experience was for those who've ridden it.

Is the Ninj on the cycle-ergo website?   If so, all your questions and comparisons will be answered...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Another very positive review of the 2020 Ninja 1000, courtesy of Ari Henning:  

ZLA_WEST_200518_PHOTOS_NINJA_1000-01770_

For those who still value performance...

“When it comes down to it, the Ninja 1000SX is a nearly ideal solution for those of you who, like me, are drawn to sport bikes but can’t stomach the compromise of a purebred supersport. From city streets to the open road to your favorite section of serpentine blacktop, the 1000SX excels thanks to a brute of an engine, sensible ergonomics, a well tuned chassis, and useful features.“

When I test rode the '17 Ninja 1000 it was right after the FJ and Versys 650 and 1000, all with much more upright and relaxed ergonomics, almost like sitting on a chair.  I was trying to place my feet on the pegs and looked down and realized I had to go much further up and back to find the pegs.  Awesome bike in every other aspect but with a 33"-34" inseam I would need some aftermarket ergonomic help.  I would love to ride one that a taller rider has set-up for comfort and long distance riding.

Interestingly the Ninja H2 SX SE is also considered a long distance sport tourer...capable of riding 2-up? 🤷‍♀️  Give them an hour and they will be calling an Uber.

Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX Priced at $19,000 for the USA - Asphalt & Rubber

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

21 hours ago, stumpy said:

@Cruizin....do i detect another motorcycle forum for you??   I can't wait for the manufacture rides ...if they have them this year.  

Nah, I just ordered a Tenere 700, supposed to get here early June. I'll be way too busy riding the piss out of that and fixing the stuff I break on it to start a new forum. Plus, there is already a large ninja 1000 forum out there. 

• Thumbsup 3

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done a comparison of the tracer gt and the kwacka 1000 tracer? Like what features including little bits. Thanks to all the people that put info on this site, makes good reading. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

A riding buddy just got a 2014 Ninja 1000 and let me ride it on a twisty road for about 15 miles.

Engine - made me realize I haven't ridden a 4 cylinder in 10+ years and I miss them dearly. What an engine. 

Suspension - stock suspension is better than the FJ. I was faster into corners on a bike I've never ridden not set up for me than my own FJ. I'm definitely redoing my suspension this winter. Can't believe what I accepted all these years!

Upper body - awesome ergos and good wind pressure. Lower body - I couldn't own this bike. My ankle and both knees hurt in just 15 miles. Less leg room than what I remember on my Ninja 600 20 years ago (probably not but really tight).

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

Suspension - stock suspension is better than the FJ. I was faster into corners on a bike I've never ridden not set up for me than my own FJ. I'm definitely redoing my suspension this winter. Can't believe what I accepted all these years!

I remember my revelation moment happened years ago riding a buddies Aprilia Tuono with Ohlins suspension over Lolo Pass...  After that ride I vowed to never accept stock suspension again, the bar had been set.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

I remember my revelation moment happened years ago riding a buddies Aprilia Tuono with Ohlins suspension over Lolo Pass...  After that ride I vowed to never accept stock suspension again, the bar had been set.

I upgraded that 600 I wrote about with an Ohlins shock and a resprung fork with RaceTech gold valves. It was wonderful. In between I had a dual sport for 8 years so I got used to front end brake dive and a little pogoing. I haven't ridden anything so sporty as this Ninja 1000 to remind me what a sportbike should feel like. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Newb to the site jumping into this older conversation; let me explain why. 

I owned an '11 N1K, modded it to fit me physically and for my needs. After nearly 45 years of riding (I'm now approaching 60)  I thought it was possibly my last bike, one that I'd long dreamed of- a proper, lightweight ST. Then about a year & half ago, I asked my then 16 yr. old daughter if she'd like tor ride w/me, sort of a last 'hurrah' before she done went and growed up, found boys, cars & had no more time for the old man.

She loved the idea so I got her all properly geared up and off we went... except that the N1K is not a proper 2-up bike unless both pilot & passenger are waifs, which neither of us are. But she loved the experience so off we went, a-shopping for a  new ride to accommodate us. After test-sitting about a dozen bikes of all shapes, sizes & brands, we landed on an FJR & she was in moto-love. 

Research done, I found a beauty- a used, low mileage used, 16 A model. My only concern was the bike's weight. Long ago I swore off on bikes that weighed in excess of 550 lbs and the FJR comes in over a 100 lbs. more. She's a pain to roll around the garage but loses all that weight once moving. W/the exception of the weight issue, the FJR is overall one fantastic ride/bike, certainly the most comfortable I've ever owned.  

Fast forward to today & I fear the moto-buzz may be off the bloom for her. Living in SoFla, I like to ride early in the day to minimize exposure to the excess heat, humidity & rain, especially in the summer season. My daughter, however, hates to get up early and the riding gear makes her uncomfortable in the aforementioned h/h/r. 

So here I am again considering selling the FJR and going smaller, but I'd still like it to accommodate the 2 of us for those rare rides together. In reality it leaves me w/2-3 choices: the Tracer 900 GT, the 2020 N1K (since reportedly it's been made better for 2-ups w/different seating positions) or perhaps even a BMW 1250RS (although not likely). The Versys 1000 is also an option & I love the fact that the newest gen has cruise control (sorry, now I'm spoiled cuz the FJR) but that bike is fugly & expensive. 

I'm a long-time Kawi & Honda guy. This FJR was my first Yammie & I've been very impressed w/it so I kinda sorta like what the Tracer offers similarly in its package, especially the cruise control and below 500 lb weight. It's a mini-FJR in many aspects. But is it any good for 2 up riding? Does it offer the space/comfort/performance we'll need? Can a back rest be fitted?

I've read enough articles, saw enough youtube vids on the bike and get its niggles, but no one seems to have touched upon the 2-up issue. Anyone care to comment? 

How's that for an opening post? 

Lee

Edited by LeeS
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, LeeS said:

about a year & half ago, I asked my then 16 yr. old daughter if she'd like tor ride w/me, sort of a last 'hurrah' before she done went and growed up, found boys, cars & had no more time for the old man.

She loved the idea so I got her all properly geared up and off we went... except that the N1K is not a proper 2-up bike unless both pilot & passenger are waifs, which neither of us are. But she loved the experience so off we went, a-shopping for a  new ride to accommodate us. After test-sitting about a dozen bikes of all shapes, sizes & brands, we landed on an FJR & she was in moto-love.

Fast forward to today & I fear the moto-buzz may be off the bloom for her. Living in SoFla, I like to ride early in the day to minimize exposure to the excess heat, humidity & rain, especially in the summer season. My daughter, however, hates to get up early and the riding gear makes her uncomfortable in the aforementioned h/h/r.

You have an interesting dilemma.  I understand wanting to ride with your daughter, but I guess you have to be honest with yourself, how many more rides are you really going to share in the near future?  If my math is correct she is close to 18y/o, hates getting up early to ride and doesn't like riding in the heat of the day in South Florida with riding gear.  It would be a shame to get your hopes up and spend thousands on a replacement bike and then be disappointed when she gets a full time job, goes to college, gets a boyfriend or anything else that life throws at a young adult.

My son grew up riding dirtbikes with me and I thought for sure we would ride street bikes and go on rides together, he has a streetbike and we went on exactly 2 rides together, life got in the way and the bike sat in the garage.  Its funny how life has its own course for us no matter how much we plan and daydream? 🤷‍♀️

I love the FJR  and while a fantastic bike, like you said it is HEAVY.  If you are wanting to go lighter, the Tracer is a great bike and like you said the Versys 1000 is not the prettiest bike but VERY comfortable and capable, I highly recommend at least test riding one.

Good luck with the decision.

Yes, to all of your points, as I've tossed them all around my noggin over & over. 

And then my daughter & I took advantage of some 'cooler' weather and overcast skies this AM & went out for a 2 hr. ride. It'd be fair to say we both enjoyed the heck out of it. She's a natural riding partner- has been since the very 1st ride. I barely had to school her how to be a good back-seater. 

The FJR is a fantastic ride except for that one sticking point- the weight. On the open road, it's a benefit but rolling it around? Not so much.

Luckily, I'm not in a rush and this is a 'first world' issue. I'll figure it out as a I figure it out, I guess. 

And just for yucks, I'm attaching a pic of my beloved, but now gone, 2011 N1K. 

Lee

11 Ninja 1000 4.23.19.jpg

Edited by LeeS
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...