SW-Motech Crash Bars

• Premium Member
I'm a big fan of just about anything SW-Motech.  It's well engineered, and fits right. Just got through installing SW-Motech crash bars. Got them from Twisted Throttle and they are for an FZ-09, but they fit the FJ just fine. Look good also. I especially like the fact that they protect the radiator from a fall-over as well as the bodywork. Will post pics tomorrow. I am well pleased, 15 minutes well spent.

Just did the same thing to my FJ this week. Actually it was the first mod to arrive in the mail and was able to install them in 15 minutes. So easy and agree they will offer some great engine crash protection if/when the bike is dropped.

Pictures of the crash bars are on the SW Motech site here and luggage here  - no pannier rails yet but keep looking

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCApk8zCO24]

I have removed the pictures reposted here from a vendor's website - we cannot publish them as they are copyright. Embedding youtube videos is fine as that is allowed in their T&Cs and the actively encourage it. I have provided a link to the maker's website where you can see the pictures of the crash bars. 
wessie

• Premium Member
Are the Yamaha ABS cases and the frame sliders just re-branded SW Motech items?
No, they don't look anything like the Yamaha items. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Are the Yamaha ABS cases and the frame sliders just re-branded SW Motech items?
No, they don't look anything like the Yamaha items. 

These:  

link removed due to copyright breach - please edit this post with a link to the website page as we cannot reproduce photos without consent of the owner
wessie

• Premium Member
OK, I don't know about the soft bags. I was looking at the crash bars and hard luggage. I looked at both the Yamaha and SWM crash bars/frame sliders and decided to go with Yamaha (mostly because I thought they looked nicer; weird because I never used to care about that :-) and didn't see any resemblance at all. Similarly I looked at a variety of hard bags, but in the end I liked the unobtrusiveness of the Yamaha bag mounts when the bags were off the bike. Everything else looked like a plumber's nightmare (there I go being vain again), although I do like the Givi monolock bags' design better than the Yamaha bags (used Givi stuff for years on an old bike). Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind sometime down the line and go more for function over form.

I didn't even consider soft bags. I've been riding with soft bags for seven years because it was not possible to mount hard bags on the Daytona 675 (no rear hard points except for the pilion pegs). They work well enough, as long as you can find ones that are good at rejecting water (Ortlieb!) but I never feel comfortable leaving the fully loaded bike unattended in a parking lot while I shop or eat (product of living in a big city I guess). And if I fall down, well, my stuff will probably be scattered to the wind. The hard bags act as ersatz frame sliders :-).
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Do you think the crash bars would work as a mount point for a set of driving lights? I'd like to add a set eventually, but somewhere higher than around the front axle and lower than just under the nose.
it's a common option taken by Adv bike riders, so yes.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
OK, I don't know about the soft bags. I was looking at the crash bars and hard luggage. I looked at both the Yamaha and SWM crash bars/frame sliders and decided to go with Yamaha (mostly because I thought they looked nicer; weird because I never used to care about that :-) and didn't see any resemblance at all. Similarly I looked at a variety of hard bags, but in the end I liked the unobtrusiveness of the Yamaha bag mounts when the bags were off the bike. Everything else looked like a plumber's nightmare (there I go being vain again), although I do like the Givi monolock bags' design better than the Yamaha bags (used Givi stuff for years on an old bike). Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind sometime down the line and go more for function over form. 
I didn't even consider soft bags. I've been riding with soft bags for seven years because it was not possible to mount hard bags on the Daytona 675 (no rear hard points except for the pilion pegs). They work well enough, as long as you can find ones that are good at rejecting water (Ortlieb!) but I never feel comfortable leaving the fully loaded bike unattended in a parking lot while I shop or eat (product of living in a big city I guess). And if I fall down, well, my stuff will probably be scattered to the wind. The hard bags act as ersatz frame sliders :-).
I ordered the Yamaha "soft hard" panniers but I also have Kriega bags; they provide a very versatile and universal fitment kit and are definitely waterproof. They also make very good rucksacks for riding. The Yamaha bags have a locking system, just like the SWM ABS bags and although I won't leave them overnight they should be fine for a lunch stop.

Archived