Chain Recommendation

• Supporting Member
Just now, texscottyd said:

Wasn’t 110 the stock length for the first-gen FJ?   With the extended swingarm length on the newer GT, that 118 may well be right.  

Yep, it was my mistake.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 9 months later...

The EK master screw links are awesome, but have to say I am surprised that a 100 plus hp bike isn't running a 530 chain, has anyone upgraded to do that? Makes me wonder with some of the low mileage life some are getting out of their chains, if much of that is due to it being a 525 and not a 530?

17 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

The EK master screw links are awesome, but have to say I am surprised that a 100 plus hp bike isn't running a 530 chain, has anyone upgraded to do that? Makes me wonder with some of the low mileage life some are getting out of their chains, if much of that is due to it being a 525 and not a 530?

I thought the same thing on the chain size . I can only guess they did it for the weight saving and and a little  HP gain. Heck I once owned a new 1977 Honda 750 super sport. It came with a monster 630 chain . Talk about overkill !

Yup, 2004 Yamaha FZ6 had a 530, 2012 Honda CBR600RR a 525 and a 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 a 520.  I would have expected a 530.  525 does let it accelerate a bit faster but I'd trade that tiny bit for longer life.  Haven't looked into it but should be able to go to a 530 - changing all the sprockets anyway.

I wouldn’t have any problem running a 530 chain on 525 sprockets......a 525 sprocket is 1/16” narrower than a 530 sprocket.  Having said that, I will go with a 525 sprocket/chain set when replacement is needed.

According to this chart, there isn’t much weight savings between 520-525-530 chain per foot.  The average tensile strength is close also.  I checked the EK chain specs for 525 and 530 chains.....tensile strength was identical for all but their most premium spec chain.

0D4D971B-2257-4CED-8256-B987020D4190.png

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Sooooo at 11,000 miles I'm getting a few links not straightening up.  I can straighten them with my fingers and only have a handful so thinking it is getting to time for a new chain.  I haven't taken the best care of the chain.  Last 5,000 mile trip was really hard to keep it clean but did lube it a few times.  Looking at Sprocket Center I see a few DID chains.  the ZVMX looks nice and has a nice (for them) price of $198 for gold, the VX3 is $144 for gold.  I could save $15 or $20 if they are not gold but would miss the bling 🙂

So assuming I go with OEM front sprocket and good quality rear sprocket will the ZVMX or VX3 last longer assuming maintenance is the same?  

I do a lot of long solo trips of 5,000 to 6,000 miles and like to have equipment that lasts and does not need to be replaced mid trip.

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

I haven't taken the best care of the chain.  Last 5,000 mile trip was really hard to keep it clean but did lube it a few times.

So assuming I go with OEM front sprocket and good quality rear sprocket will the ZVMX or VX3 last longer assuming maintenance is the same?  

I do a lot of long solo trips of 5,000 to 6,000 miles and like to have equipment that lasts and does not need to be replaced mid trip.

While on trips I lube my chain every single night when I get to the hotel, so at least every 400-450 miles.  Put it on the center stand, lube the chain, wipe off the excess, 1 minute and done.

I use the DID VX3 chain and currently have a little over 15k miles on it, no noise or slapping and I don't remember the last time I had to adjust it.  Very high quality chain.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yea, I did that later in the trip but first two days were almost 600 miles each and it was hot so too tired to fool with chain.  I'm looking at an oiler  - I've always disliked them but seem like they are the best solution to get long chain life.  

• Thumbsup 2

Sprocket center. I just changed my stock (after 20k!) with a 525 DID X ring and a 17/43 combo for extra mileage and lower highway RPM's. Just yesterday/today completed a BBG1500 with my 2016 FJ09using this combo.  If you are on the highway a lot this is a great combo. Certainly more sluggish than the stock 16/45. But not too bad if you're an old guy who doesn't mind the bike being much more pleasant living at 4500-5500 RPM's all day long.

• Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

I'm looking at an oiler  - I've always disliked them but seem like they are the best solution to get long chain life.  

I was like you in that I wasn't too keen on an oiler but since I've put one on I find it virtually looks after itself and then by extension, the chain.  Bit like a cruise control, didn't think I needed it until I got one. 🙂

20210615_135505.thumb.jpg.34e94c16b5bc26c8ae5d935a7b371317.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

15 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I was like you in that I wasn't too keen on an oiler but since I've put one on I find it virtually looks after itself and then by extension, the chain.  Bit like a cruise control, didn't think I needed it until I got one. 🙂

20210615_135505.thumb.jpg.34e94c16b5bc26c8ae5d935a7b371317.jpg

Yep.  Once you've got one and never have to faff about with oiling or even cleaning the chain again, you tend to wonder why you didn't do it before.  Sure, you don't need one, but:

16 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Yea, I did that later in the trip but first two days were almost 600 miles each and it was hot so too tired to fool with chain.  I'm looking at an oiler  - I've always disliked them but seem like they are the best solution to get long chain life.  

Once you're doing long days and big trips, or riding every single day often in bad conditions, properly maintaining the chain is a huge PITA.  

I mean, I wouldn't bother with one if I was one of those hobby riders who put just a couple thousand miles a year on their bike, only riding on nice, clear sunny days, so a ride is a big production where preparing for it is part of the fun.  But lubing the chain is not exactly super entertaining to do every day, I'd rather be riding, or kicking back in a hotel relaxing.  And I know from personal experience as much as I say I'll do what @betoney does, in practice if I oiled my chain even once on a long road trip that was something unusual.  

• Thumbsup 1

Quick lube down while getting gas on the centerstand every other fill up while one trips works for me. Had a Tuturo chain oiler on my last bike and they work great, but a bit too messy IMHO so I've gone back to my god ole Dupont chain saver lube applied with a small detailing sponge.