NOT a which tyre/tire should I get thread

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

Hi all,

Almost time for new rubber.  Instead of asking the usual - “what is the best tyre to get?” question and having a dozen different reasons why this tyre is better than that tyre response,  I’m going to suggest that I’m getting Dunlop Road smart 3s for no overriding reason other than the price is ‘right’ when comparing them to Angel GT 2s, Michelin Road 5s and the Metzler 01s that are all in my alternatives list.

All of my riding is for pleasure where I look for and enjoy the challenge/fun of the mountain twisties (without being overly aggressive) and is 99% in the dry.   I’m looking for confidence in the lean and reasonable mileage for the longer distance stuff.

I’m reasonably confident that the Dunlops will fit the brief but thought I’d ask the learned forum members who may have had experiences that would confirm that belief or set me on another path.

While the wheels are off, I should take the opportunity to do some maintenance in that area I guess!  Any tips or just follow the service manual?

TIA

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

While the wheels are off, I should take the opportunity to do some maintenance in that area I guess!  Any tips or just follow the service manual?

TIA

While the wheels are off the bike, check the wheel bearings for smooth rotation, I personally also gently pull the dust cover with a pick and apply more grease in the bearing cavity.

On the rear, clean and grease the swing arm and shock linkage bearings.  I do this annually, it takes about 1 hour if you work at a casual pace.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I would also be making sure that the brake pads ,calipers and any acumulated crud round the pistons was cleaned off.

I will possibly go with Avon 3D XM tyres when it comes round Only because I have used them twice on the last bike with no issues.

• Thanks 1

When the OEM tires were shot at around 3200 miles I bought a set of the Roadsmart 3.  I had run a set on my other bike and like them very much.  I had tried others and these feel a little more on the sport side of the sport touring equation with excellent dry grip.  So far they are a little over half worn and they seem to be keeping their profile well.  Handling feels the same as when new.  I spoke with a Dunlop representative at a trade show and he hinted there might be a Roadsmart 4 later this year.

• Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

Thanks guys for all of your feedback.  As usual, it's always gratifying to see that there are those who are willing to offer good advice based on their own experiences.

90° valve stems, do it.

Had only paid passing attention to the 90 degree valve stems idea in the past but thinking about it, it is a bloody good idea.  Thanks!

When the OEM tires were shot at around 3200 miles I bought a set of the Roadsmart 3.  I had run a set on my other bike and like them very much.  I had tried others and these feel a little more on the sport side of the sport touring equation with excellent dry grip.  So far they are a little over half worn and they seem to be keeping their profile well.  Handling feels the same as when new.  I spoke with a Dunlop representative at a trade show and he hinted there might be a Roadsmart 4 later this year.

@johnmark101 - thanks for that feedback on the RS3s... but did you have to mention that there is a rumour of a later model (RS4s) coming out later in the year!  Ha.

Much appreciated all 👍

• Supporting Member
On 3/15/2020 at 10:51 PM, kilo3 said:

90° valve stems, do it.

Any recommendations in particular or will any generic ebay variety do?  As long as they are 11.3mm I believe?

e.g.

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Any recommendations in particular or will any generic ebay variety do?  As long as they are 11.3mm I believe?

e.g.

yes, those should work just fine.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

For the 90 degree valve stems, the rear can just stick straight out to the side, but the front stem will be a little easier to use if it's installed at a slight angle. Mine angles up slightly when the wheel is rotated so the stem is at the front of the wheel; this makes it easier to reach with a gauge or hose. 

Yes, I know my wheel is filthy. 

IMG_20200317_085847_9.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, jdavis said:

I got one fitted to the rear last change, and came back to the bike with a large chrome cruiser one fitted. Pays to see them before fitment.

You wouldn't have liked that I reckon John considering that your bike is so well presented in every other way!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, keithu said:

For the 90 degree valve stems, the rear can just stick straight out to the side, but the front stem will be a little easier to use if it's installed at a slight angle. Mine angles up slightly when the wheel is rotated so the stem is at the front of the wheel; this makes it easier to reach with a gauge or hose. 

Yes, I know my wheel is filthy. 

IMG_20200317_085847_9.jpg

Good thinking. Thanks.  Also looks like the valves are the same/similar as the one's I've ordered as per my link above.

Here's the prices I found with a search yesterday on Revzilla with one current rebate. 
Note: Michelin has a $50 rebate through 3/31. It doesn't make their tire inexpensive...it just brings it down to reality.
attachment.php?attachmentid=358969&stc=1

I've been waiting for rebates, and some have come. Others might come in a couple weeks. Here's what it looks like with those potential rebates.
attachment.php?attachmentid=358967&stc=1

Dunlop had a $40 rebate on their Roadsmart III tires from 3/1 to 4/30, and another from 7/1 to 8/31 last year. Hopefully, the timing will be similar for your planning purposes.

Continental had a $60 rebate on their RoadAttack III tires from 4/1 to 6/30 last year. I'm hoping for this one. Not only is this my favorite tire, but they also offer free roadside assistance with the cost of their tires.

Michelin has a current rebate as I wrote above of $50. It expires on 3/31.

Other comments: You mentioned the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires. The first set lasted me @6000 miles. I had the standard tire on front and back. When the Continental RA3 tires needed changing, I decided to give the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires a second chance. Back when they first came out, the HWM version was recommended for the F800GT and I hadn't purchased that version. I thought maybe that would make a difference. So I purchased the HWM version this time around. I've had the tires on now for about 3000 miles and they look to be about half worn...which will have them last @6000 miles again, it seems. I find that tire to be no better than the Dunlop or Continental tires, but it wears about twice as fast. But...it looks pretty.

Chris

• Supporting Member

Rocky Mountain ATV has the Bridgestone T31 for $233 a set and will price match if you find them cheaper.  Bridgestone is also offering a $60 rebate per set.