EBay Windscreen Spoiler

• Supporting Member

I found this wind spoiler on eBay for about $30 and thought I would give it a try.  I also have the MRA X-creen 'sport' size spoiler which is 10"x4" and $120.

s-l400.jpg

Universal Motorcycle Risen Adjustable Windscreen Windshield Spoiler Air...

I didn't feel that the MRA spoiler had much of an effect and eventually stopped using it.  This one measures almost an inch taller as well as an inch wider than the MRA.  This one is built very well (it must be assembled and has decent instructions included) and is very sturdy at speed, no perceived movement.  The screen is noticeably thicker and the support arms are beefier than the MRA.  I don't know if it is a pro or con but when the screen locks are undone, they are much looser to adjust the screen position while the MRA is much tighter and requires more effort to adjust, however once it is adjusted and you set the locks then it is very sturdy and secure.  And finally, this one simply works - at least for me - I am 6'-1" and I adjusted it only 1" up from its lowest position and tilted the top of the spoiler more vertical and purposely rode around at 70mph with no ear plugs.   I could still hear wind noise obviously, but it wasnt thunderous or annoying, and with ear plugs like I normally wear, I'm sure it will be very comfortable riding all day long. 

At 4x the cost of this screen, I cant recommend the MRA sport size spoiler.

image.thumb.png.77cd9d3b057129369b0dd724edfce282.png

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Nice find. I have the MRA X-Screen Tour bolt-on on my Givi barn door that looks similar in size to your eBay spoiler.  I think the adjusters are very good on the MRA but it was pricey.  I installed a smaller eBay clamp-on spoiler on my eBay mid-sized double bubble and just bought your new spoiler to try based on your rec; so it'd better be good!

• Haha 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Nice find. I have the MRA X-Screen Tour bolt-on on my Givi barn door that looks similar in size to your eBay spoiler.  I think the adjusters are very good on the MRA but it was pricey.  I installed a smaller eBay clamp-on spoiler on my eBay mid-sized double bubble and just bought your new spoiler to try based on your rec; so it'd better be good!

Whenever I review anything I always try to emphasize  -"at least to me' or 'in my experience' or 'YMMV'. 

When you buy the eBay spoiler, look carefully at the description, just like MRA has a 'sport' (small) and 'Tour' (large) size available, the eBay spoiler also comes in 2 different sizes.  My screen is narrower at the top so I have to use the smallest spoiler.  YMMV. 😎👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 12:11 AM, betoney said:

I found this wind spoiler on eBay for about $30 and thought I would give it a try.  I also have the MRA X-creen 'sport' size spoiler which is 10"x4" and $120.

s-l400.jpg

I didn't feel that the MRA spoiler had much of an effect and eventually stopped using it.  This one measures almost an inch taller as well as an inch wider than the MRA.  This one is built very well (it must be assembled and has decent instructions included) and is very sturdy at speed, no perceived movement.  The screen is noticeably thicker and the support arms are beefier than the MRA.  I don't know if it is a pro or con but when the screen locks are undone, they are much looser to adjust the screen position while the MRA is much tighter and requires more effort to adjust, however once it is adjusted and you set the locks then it is very sturdy and secure.  And finally, this one simply works - at least for me - I am 6'-1" and I adjusted it only 1" up from its lowest position and tilted the top of the spoiler more vertical and purposely rode around at 70mph with no ear plugs.   I could still hear wind noise obviously, but it wasnt thunderous or annoying, and with ear plugs like I normally wear, I'm sure it will be very comfortable riding all day long. 

I’m still getting up to speed on windscreens. What windscreen did you install this spoiler on? It’s a good looking screen. 

Edited by kltk1
Subscribed

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, kltk1 said:

What windscreen did you install this spoiler on? It’s a good looking screen. 

That screen is the Puig Sport Touring screen for a Gen II FZ1, my previous bike.  I had to drill new holes to modify it to fit

• Thanks 1

I tried one of those small spoilers on another bike.  It made some improvement, but I eventually took it off and gave to a friend because it was in my line of site.

On both my V Strom and FJ09, I found the best thing was spacing out the windshield from the fairing.  For my VStrom, I used a Madstad.  For my FJ09, I used a Palmer bracket. I like the Palmer bracket for ease of adjustment, uses OEM screens, and has a crossbar to mount my GPS.

My experience is when you space the screen away from your fairing, the shape of the screen isn't as important. 

I forgot to mention, I spaced out my screen on my Tiger 1050, with similar good results.

Edited by carey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/15/2020 at 9:11 PM, betoney said:

s-l400.jpg

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Motorcycle Adjustable Windscreen Spoiler Air Deflector Wind Protection Universal

first must say good product review ,,but for someone looking for an add on screen you can't tell us the name of the product ,,its like what's the point ,,,,Frustrating !!

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Bill H said:

first must say good product review ,,but for someone looking for an add on screen you can't tell us the name of the product ,,its like what's the point ,,,,Frustrating !!

Please tell me you're not being serious.  I am not sure I can make it any simpler for you, its a generic windscreen spoiler and I purchased it from eBay... I even provided the product link to avoid any confusion and unnecessary typing.  🤷‍♀️ 

• Thumbsup 4

On 3/15/2020 at 11:11 PM, betoney said:

s-l400.jpg

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Motorcycle Adjustable Windscreen Spoiler Air Deflector Wind Protection Universal

I bought one of those off ebay a couple months ago, just installed it yesterday on my Yamaha touring screen.  Haven't tested it yet, but expect decent results once I find the sweet spot for it.  I think I paid ~ $22 + tax.  

I had been using one of those little Givi (?) ones from France, priced at $65.  Works okay, but I want better.  On my previous bikes I always used a Laminar lip, which worked great.  I spoke with the Laminar dude when I first got the Tracer....not available (yet?).  The Laminar effect is what I'll be trying to get from the new ebay cheapy. 

For the price, I'm kinda surprised that it seems to be built 'reasonably' robustly.  The little locking adjustment clamps seem solid.  Not sure about the tiny mounting hex screws, though.  I may add some thread lock there, but I'll keep the supplied allen wrenches onboard, anyway.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2WHLOZK said:

For the price, I'm kinda surprised that it seems to be built 'reasonably' robustly.  The little locking adjustment clamps seem solid.

I managed to lose one of those little locking adjustment clamps a while ago.  And I believe I'm not the only one who has had that 'luck' either.   I think I didn't lock it back properly when making an adjustment with gloves on while out on the road and it 'escaped' its housing while riding.

It is a required/necessary 5 cent part but would have been difficult if not impossible to replace so I was about to cut my losses and just buy another spoiler but thought first I'd try to 3D print up a clone of the remaining one.  Nothing to lose after all!

I'm no design guru but managed to make up a reasonable facsimile on Fusion 360 and print it.

Worked a treat and has resurrected my wind spoiler from the ashes.

So, unless you wish to suffer the same fate just make sure those little critters are securely locked into position.

BTW. Have never had any problems with the hex screws.  YMMV

My amateur design .....

image.png.eb130a4f639d9d58c9feec52cee919a9.png

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 2WHLOZK said:

I bought one of those off ebay a couple months ago, just installed it yesterday on my Yamaha touring screen.  Haven't tested it yet, but expect decent results once I find the sweet spot for it.  I think I paid ~ $22 + tax.

For the price, I'm kinda surprised that it seems to be built 'reasonably' robustly.  The little locking adjustment clamps seem solid.  Not sure about the tiny mounting hex screws, though.  I may add some thread lock there, but I'll keep the supplied allen wrenches onboard, anyway. 

Though I haven't had any issues with anything loosening up, I agree that thread lock isn't a bad idea. 

Expect a fair amount of fiddling with height and angle adjustments to find the 'sweet spot' that works for you.  I did my testing on the interstate as that's likely to be the noisiest environment, ride for a few miles and then make an adjustment and then ride a few more miles and adjust again.

• Thumbsup 1