Front tyre/tire wear question

dazzler24

3 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Good news @suncoaster - I've scored a 'deal' for a pair of Michelin Road 5s for AU$404 - fitted.  Will get them tomorrow.

The best I could get them fitted for elsewhere was $499 so I'm happy with that.

I'm going to take the opportunity to get the forks serviced at the same time.

Cheers.

What a good idea!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

What a good idea!

Ah yes.  That was your favoured tyre wasn't it!

Bit of a rebate being offered which made them cheaper than the Dunlop RS 3s that I was considering so I thought I'd take advantage while I still have a few Shekels left in the tin.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

@dazzler24 - Resurrecting an old thread here, but I thought you would find this interesting.   Today’s ride finished off the current set of Michelin PR5s:  These have 5,344 miles of use.

I swear that the rear wheel has been aligned correctly the entire time, but this is the oddest wear pattern I’ve personally had on a rear tire yet.   To their credit, these tires were still working well all the way to the bitter end:  

F10AF0B3-C716-4F60-B9A3-BD6D6CE71167.thumb.jpeg.17b4f863c8847206d2b4242055714b59.jpeg

573AA4D1-3E3F-43BA-9655-8D58B8E5C965.thumb.jpeg.2d2a56edd111e778f04e902e3a3eb64e.jpeg

The front is a bit toasty as well, but at least it’s worn fairly uniformly on both sides:  

D7FA8EDE-1886-4B54-988A-B5B1C84733F7.thumb.jpeg.4ed209ca25c394e05fc893fa9d0d96e0.jpeg

I’m trying to decide what to do for the next set.  I’ve been a really loyal Michelin fan for decades, but I’m tempted to try something different this time.  The PR4s that were on this bike previously lasted longer, and wore much more consistently...  

Decisions, decisions.  I just need to hurry up and do something, however, since I’m obviously parked until new biscuits are installed.  

• Supporting Member

@texscottyd - That is the most bizarre wear pattern I have ever seen.  It sure looks like you got good use out of them but I am surprised they wore out so quick, I thought the Road 5 was supposed to be the Holy Grail? 🤷‍♀️

The UPS guy was very nice to me yesterday, 😎 my current tires are at the end of their life very soon, these should get me through the year.

image.png.9a566b23b70dbb798e3344cf89bed78c.png

Sorry the photo is so small, something just changed on the forum and now it is only letting me attach postage stamp size thumbnails.

Max total size 0.58MB

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

@dazzler24 - Resurrecting an old thread here, but I thought you would find this interesting.  

573AA4D1-3E3F-43BA-9655-8D58B8E5C965.thumb.jpeg.2d2a56edd111e778f04e902e3a3eb64e.jpeg

Both interesting and strange indeed!  Looks like you spend 98% of your time leaned over one way or the other and the rest (for the rear at least) is accounted for by the right hand side of the road camber effect!!??

Good luck in your search for the new rubber choice.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

That is the most bizarre wear pattern I have ever seen.

I know, right?  I’m at a loss for an explanation...  many of roads around here are an abrasive, high-aggregate surface, so maybe that combined with the crown of the road?  And maybe a bit of my riding style??   I dunno... never had one do this before.  

Congrats on the new Bridgestones.   Which model do you prefer on the FJ?   I need to order something ASAP, since these Michelins are clearly past their ‘use by’ date... 

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Congrats on the new Bridgestones.   Which model do you prefer on the FJ?   I need to order something ASAP, since these Michelins are clearly past their ‘use by’ date... 

In the 3 years since I bought the bike, I have gone through the oem Dunlops, 2 sets of Pirelli Angel GT's, and 4 sets of Bridgestones.

I really like the Bridgestones, I have used the S21 sport tire and the T31 sport touring tire and honestly, I cant tell the difference between them.  Other than the T31 having more rain channels, the sport riding performance feels the same and I get the same mileage out of both.  The new S22 are supposed to be an overall improvement to the S21, I'm looking forward to trying them out. 

Bridgestones Spring $60 rebate is valid for a few more days.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

8 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I know, right?  I’m at a loss for an explanation...  many of roads around here are an abrasive, high-aggregate surface, so maybe that combined with the crown of the road?  And maybe a bit of my riding style??   I dunno... never had one do this before.  

Maybe road surfaces are all weather, the grip is good in all weather but very abrasive on tyres, especially dual compound tyres that can have a soft edge

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 4/27/2020 at 9:37 AM, roadrash83 said:

@texscottyd do the roads you ride on have a high crown on them for water drainage? that would explain the left side wear.

There is certainly some crown to the local FM (Farm to Market) roads I typically ride, but it’s generally not that excessive.   And of the countless sets of tires I’ve used over the decades, this is the first one to show this type of wear pattern.  

I’ll go with the road crown explanation for lack of a better reason, but I can’t fathom why it suddenly became an issue with this specific set of tires.  

On the OP topic; when I swapped the OEM tyres off (D222s?) I noticed more wear on the right side of the front tyre (from rider's POV). I'm lucky enough to live near great twisties, and rather than favouring right handers, I was wondering if I'm more wary of right corners, so brake more, compress that front end down (I had a bad habit of front bias braking for a bit when I got the Tracer - since addressed) and so wear it more.

@nanikore I’m not sure of your logic. If you brake more for a corner, you’re probably upright when braking before the corner, so the braking wear is on the centre of your tyre, your actual corner speed will be lower, less lean angle and less wear on the shoulder of the tyre.

As for braking bias, you should be doing the vast majority, if not all your braking using the front brake. As you brake, weight comes forward so the front brake is more efficient than the rear (in fact its easier to lock the rear brake as it is unweighted). Plus you have a bigger diameter front rotor and two of them to get the job done. I only use my rear brake at low speeds (traffic for example) and when coming to a stop.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

There is certainly some crown to the local FM (Farm to Market) roads I typically ride, but it’s generally not that excessive.   And of the countless sets of tires I’ve used over the decades, this is the first one to show this type of wear pattern.  

I’ll go with the road crown explanation for lack of a better reason, but I can’t fathom why it suddenly became an issue with this specific set of tires.  

If you’re all seeing this uneven wear on the same brand of tyre, then they done something weird to the compound design. You haven’t all suddenly started riding differently. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)