Front tyre/tire wear question

dazzler24

Are we all talking about the OEM D222? My new Road5s don't show any uneven wear at all. Or was my front wheel /suspension slightly off initially? Hmm.

Braking is such a nebulous topic, so many variables, but I would say I vary, depending on road n corner from front bias to 50/50 . The latter is the advice of local police and instructors, I think due to the preference for the often steep n narrow mountain passes which have interesting and slow hairpins (with one side often saying hello to an abyss.)

As an aside, podcast Front End Chatter have been debating this subject of late:  http://frontendchatter.com/

I can't see the road camber making much difference to tyre wear, when you think about the width of the tyre on the road, Imo.  I'd be worried about points on my license with that rear. 😯

Also, i only use rear brake for cleaning disc purposes,  if I remember.  🙂

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, nanikore said:

Are we all talking about the OEM D222?

That’s a very good point.   This started around specifically about the D222 front, and then wandered a bit to other tires.  Then I posted the bizarre wear on my Road 5 rear and totally sidetracked the thread...  Internet Forum Confusion: It’s what I do best!  :) 

That said, my stock D222 survived 4,800 miles, and was very triangular by the end.  The wear was symmetrical, and had lots of tread in the center and at the edges, but was very thin in between.  It was strange, but I didn’t think too much about it.   

It’s that totally asymmetric wear on the rear Road 5 that has me puzzled.   Most of my rear tires generally end up looking like that left side, although I usually replace them before they’re this slick.   But I’ve never had one do what you see on the right side, with it worn smooth near the edge, but with an odd ‘tread ledge’ about halfway across the profile.  That appears to be right where the dual compounds of the tire come together, but why isn’t it worn roughly the same on both sides?   I’m not going to over-think this, and will be interested to see how the new ones wear.  

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

I'd be worried about points on my license with that rear. 😯

Because of the current physical state of the tire, or because of the implied riding behavior that led to said current physical state?  :D 

Damn the torpedos... full speed ahead! 

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, nanikore said:

On the OP topic; when I swapped the OEM tyres off (D222s?) I noticed more wear on the right side of the front tyre (from rider's POV). I'm lucky enough to live near great twisties, and rather than favouring right handers, I was wondering if I'm more wary of right corners, so brake more, compress that front end down (I had a bad habit of front bias braking for a bit when I got the Tracer - since addressed) and so wear it more.

I think it might be riding technique as well, unless it is a very tight downhill hairpin type corner or a corner that has caught me by surprise, I set corner speed with the throttle and transmission, not the brakes.  I roll off the throttle (think of a stereo volume knob, not a light switch) to set corner entrance speed and use steady throttle to the apex and roll on throttle through the exit. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Dodgy Knees said:

I do like the idea of no waste... 👍  Over here we get 3 points for 1 tyre being illegal.  12 points and a ban.  

Got it... around here, if it passes the annual state safety inspection, you’re pretty much ok with the law until the next year comes around.  

I normally wouldn’t have pushed a tire quite as far as this one, but it was spectacular weather last Sunday, and I made the judgment call that I could squeeze a final 300 miles of fun out of it.  5,344 miles as it sits, and it clearly should have been replaced by about 5,000.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 5/2/2020 at 10:38 AM, texscottyd said:

Got it... around here, if it passes the annual state safety inspection, you’re pretty much ok with the law until the next year comes around.    

And that varies by state. I think most US states don't inspect motorcycles at all.  

• Thumbsup 1

• 5 months later...

Since this went 4 pages without an answer I'm up.

I was going to provide a link but it's gone. This is not a new problem, and I like that it's been confirmed with driving on the wrong side of the road having exactly the opposite wear as here.

I've had such bad wear on the left of some front tires I've thought about remounting the tire backwards to even it out. I've pulled several fronts on my previous, various bikes that are worse then that.

This applies to driving on the right side of the road. Other places just reverse.  2 things happen that wear out the left side first. One is left turns at traffic lights the arc is longer than a right so more wear. 2nd is sight distance in left curves are longer so we ride them tighter and harder than right curves.

That's it. It's not the camber of the road for rain runoff. It's not an alignment problem. It's not a mounting or suspension or set-up problem.

EDIT: found the site, it moved.

Read till you go blind. 😂

Edited by peteinpa
  • Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, WKE002 said:

Trying to sell my Dunlop D222 tires online, not sure which are the manufacturer week/year. Can help advice which pic refer to manufacture year.

How-To-Read-Motorcycle-Tire-Date-Codes-T

How To Read Motorcycle Tire Date Codes When it comes to motorcycle...

Thanks betoney, I know where to read car tires but even having went to the site, still leave me puzzle, my after DOT is EUA5 which does not ring a bell but after EUA5 is per pic 9ARM1020 where I would translate to week10, 2020. 

got another more car like number 6301 which doubt it as no such thing as week 63! 

image.jpg

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, WKE002 said:

after EUA5 is per pic 9ARM1020 where I would translate to week10, 2020.

Out of all the photos you posted, that is the only one that makes sense as a date code, March 2020. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

• 7 months later...

My junk original front 222's is not wearing well at only around 3K miles, the rear is doing fine but yeah that front is really cupping on the left side sitting on bike. I always run a minimum of 36 front and 40 rear, but yeah I tend to ride consistently on the inside lane which makes sense of my bad cupping, getting a pretty gnarly bar wobble now too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 11:07 PM, WKE002 said:

Thanks betoney, I know where to read car tires but even having went to the site, still leave me puzzle, my after DOT is EUA5 which does not ring a bell but after EUA5 is per pic 9ARM1020 where I would translate to week10, 2020. 

got another more car like number 6301 which doubt it as no such thing as week 63! 

image.jpg

The DOT is an American government agency. Obviously, the DOT coordinates with many other governments around the world. But it would appear that your tire is not marked using the American system.

Tires in Malaysia would be regulated by a Malaysian authority, or maybe they're "borrowing" regulations from some other country which uses another system of marking tire date codes.