Harley LiveWire sort of Iron Butt

1moreroad

I'd much rather have a Zero Electric bike. Better charging and range for a lot less money. Zero is actually built in the USA.

In fact the Zero makes more power, is faster, is lighter and costs a lot less money than the Livewire. I have no idea why anyone would buy the Livewire over the Zero.

The Zero SR/F makes 140 lb-ft of torque, which blows away the Harley’s 86 lb-ft.

Harley-Zero-Showdown-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Fe

It's a battle royale between the two biggest names in electric...

• Thumbsup 1

Um...the Harley is built in York, PA, USA. People buy the Harley over the Zero because Zero is still a relatively small name. Everyone knows Harley.

I too would rather have the Zero though. I want to take the SR-S for a test ride. I wonder if our local dealer has one...

• Premium Member

At least Harley has brought something to market, unlike most of the other major players. 

I am intrigued by the Zero SR/S. This is one of the best looking fully-faired bikes I've seen from *any* manufacturer in a while. 

zero_SRS.png

• Thumbsup 2

The world is weird.  After all those years of keeping up with hearing aid batteries, they now have internal rechargeable batteries.  I call that progress, but electric motorcycles not so much.

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Haven't Harley stopped production of the Livewire, too many problems.??

Like lack of sales?

yb7vnggqsgoajix007ec.png

Harley’s new LiveWire is shockingly fun to ride and an explicit bid from...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I also reckon Zero are ahead of the game at the moment.  Not looked recently but were doing a few different styles , easy charging and great fun , going by the vids I've seen.  Still a bit expensive though.

At a bike show last November i got chatting to the super soco guys who offer a cheap  E motorcycle, but not convinced it was anything more than a short distance commuter  whereas the Zeros could easily be a proper weekend fun bike.

A 200 mile range is all the fun I'll ever need for a day out, but not a lot less.

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, Dodgy Knees said:

A 200 mile range is all the fun I'll ever need for a day out, but not a lot less.

The range is a lot less than 200 miles.  
"Incidentally, Zero’s soon-to-be-available Power Tank promises to boost range from 161 miles in the city / 82 highway / 109 combined to 201 city / 103 highway / 136 combined." - The power tank is a $2,900 upgrade.

To get out of the city and jump in the highway or enjoy some spirited back roads you could get about 65 miles before turning around and heading back home.

The big takeaway for me from that article - "However, range anxiety is real. Whereas I would often ride as far as Newcomb’s Ranch, a rustic diner smack in the middle of the Angeles National Forest 35 miles from home, I wouldn’t dare risk the journey on these bikes, since I could easily run out of juice before I reach a plug again. That range limitation puts a damper on the very thing that’s so attractive about motorcycling in the first place: pure, unadulterated escape."
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 1

The Livewire is a neat machine, and feels pretty cool to rev up, but it's insanely expensive for such a limited ride.

I can see current gen ebikes as fun in-town commuter machines, but as @betoney quotes, the range anxiety issue is just too big a damper.  Interestingly, I don't feel this is nearly as much a concern with electric cars, as for the vast majority of people their cars rarely see long distance drives, and if you've a family, you've probably got two cars anyways so one electric one gas makes sense.

But a bike?  Even as a guy who commutes nearly exclusively on my bike, I couldn't accept that range limitation.  For normal bike people, the bike is a fun escape.  Being so limited in range would ruin that, and lets be real here: Who wants to spend Livewire money on a bike you can basically only ride in town?

That said... The new Zero looks amazing, and I bet it's tons of fun.  I'd still love to have one, but only as an "n+1" bike, not my only ride.

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Even as a guy who commutes nearly exclusively on my bike, I couldn't accept that range limitation.  For normal bike people, the bike is a fun escape.  Being so limited in range would ruin that, and lets be real here: Who wants to spend Livewire money on a bike you can basically only ride in town?

I only ride for recreation and when I go out, its for several hours, I don't usually ever ride less than 150 miles at a time.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

None of these motorcycles meets my need since (at least before the coronavirus) I have a 130 mile one way highway commute I do twice each week.  I think there is one Nissan dealer near the route that has a Level 2 charger.  I'm still happy to see Zero and others knocking on the range door.

20 years ago in my late 20s when I started riding in Los Angeles and first justified a motorcycle for commuting and lane splitting - I would have been THE target audience for an electric moto.  I had a 45 mile round trip commute in heavy traffic.  Good weather year round.  I was an engineer, dual income no kid family at the time.  I enjoyed riding around and exploring the city on 2 wheels (pedal or moto).  6 or 7 years from now, I can see my son being in a similar position financially and geographically.  So I'll be happy to go ride LA again with my son on an electric moto and me on the FJ in 2026.