Is there a Triumph in your past?

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, 3banger said:

Ive owned three Triumphs, 2000 Sprint RS, 2002 Daytona 955i and a 2005 Sprint ST.  Put the most miles on the ST.

2A835418-B2A4-4DA7-9A92-CEB5A5EC74DF.jpeg

I was pretty close to replacing my TT600 with a Sprint ST before I decided to take a break from motorcycling for a while. I test rode one and loved it. 

• Supporting Member

I sure do like the Speed Triple RS.  The Crystal White with red accents looks sharp... I just wish they would redesign the headlights.

Speed Triple RS

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

20 hours ago, keithu said:

I was pretty close to replacing my TT600 with a Sprint ST before I decided to take a break from motorcycling for a while. I test rode one and loved it. 

I really enjoyed the ST, lots of long days in the saddle A few well into the 1000’s.  It was fast & functional and tickled a few of my desires; under seat exhaust & SSSA.  The CP3 Yamaha motor has been on my radar since  it hit the motorcycle shows in 2013-ish?; thanks to the Pace Pod cast for discussing it.  And when I saw the first FJ09 in 2015 I was pretty sure it was my next road going bike.  Finally found the deal I was looking for on a 2016 in LA did the old fly and buy.  It’s been a fantastically comfortable and capable bike.

I’ve never really considered how well a bike holds its value but older modern era Triumphs sure don’t.  My ST did have a lot of miles on it but it was in excellent condition.  She went for a song.  Had I had the garage space I would have just kept her; my youthful lust of the 916 sometimes still need the under seat exhaust & SSSA tickled...

Also, the plastic tank was quickly distorting on our silly efforts to put half burned hydrocarbons (ethanol) in our gas tanks! 

Edited by 3banger
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, 3banger said:

I’ve never really considered how well a bike holds its value but older modern era Triumphs sure don’t.  My ST did have a lot of miles on it but it was in excellent condition.  She went for a song. 

True. I sold my excellent-condition TT600 for $2200 in 2008. I hated to see it go, but I was unemployed and that covered a few mortgage payments until I found a new job.

Although to be fair, the TT was cheap to buy in the first place. I was originally going to get a CBR600f4 or ZX6R, but the TT600 was getting bad press and the local dealer was blowing them out way under MSRP. He let me take a test ride to prove the bad press was overblown.

It was also cheaper to insure for some reason. I think I paid ~$120 per year for full coverage. Any of the Japanese 600s would have been 3-4x that.

Yes

I had a Trophy 1200 (4 cylinders) which was a very fine bike !!

I made a lot of very long trips with her in very good confort condtions.

I finally sold it to a passionate of Trophy.

Denis

• Like 1

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Denideul said:

Yes

I had a Trophy 1200 (4 cylinders) which was a very fine bike !!

I made a lot of very long trips with her in very good confort condtions.

I finally sold it to a passionate of Trophy.

Denis

I loved those. It's too bad Triumph has decided it will only sell twins and triples. They made a couple of really nice I-4 motors. 

On 3/25/2020 at 11:26 AM, Cruizin said:

Triumph is one of a few brands that I haven't owned yet. Came really close to buying a Street Triple, but then the FZ09 came out a bunch cheaper and I got one instead. Then, I opened up the cheap ass forks and wished that I had gotten the Triumph instead. 

Same here, Street Triple R, suspension excellent right out of the box and the fuel injection is smooth as butter........ Yet here I am with a red 2015, smilin' over 'ere at 2/3's the price, 2nd owner, 2348 miles when I got it 2 years ago, 7 grand. Used Street Triple R was 9 to 10 grand? Am I remembering correctly?

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Learned to ride on an old Triumph 650 back in 1974. It was one my brother bought from someone when he was in Air Force. It was a raggedy old piece of junk,  some previous owner had tried to make a "chopper" out of it. Had extended forks and a tiny little fiberglass fuel tank. Kick start only, with the primer buttons on the carbs, rear brake pedal on the left and gear shift on the right. Some kind of electrical problem where it would misfire and bog down around 4500 rpms then pick up and run fine past 5000.

I recently sold a 2018 Thruxton R for an 2019 MT10. I loved the Thruxton but it always seemed so...caged up and refined. Definitely the prettiest motorbike I ever owned. When I'm rich and live the good life (never), id be open to owning another Triumph. Never had any problems with her in 5k miles. One of the few brands I wouldn't think twice about dropping thousands on. 

thruxton smallest.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

Three in fact and all different incarnations of the fabulous 955i engine. First up was a beautiful Daytona 955i:

955i Daytona (13).jpg

Whilst fabulous and great to ride when pressing on I found the Daytona simply too uncomfortable for daily riding.  I sold it on and bought my first brand new bike.  A Triumph Sprint RS.  Fantastic combination of practicality and fun.  Looks great in burnt orange too.

955i Sprint RS (8).jpg

The RS was sold to make way for an 1150GS and a couple of other bikes in between my next Trumpet.  Bought after a short layoff from biking a really nice Sprint ST in classic British Racing Green.

IMG_2397.JPG

I kept the ST for a year and sold it to buy my second brand new bike, my fantastic Tracer.

All three Triumphs were great bikes and performed flawlessly.  They got me hooked on the triple engine.

CS

Edited by captainscarlet
  • Like 2