Cheapo aliexpress turn signals with dlr

stumpy

Ok...I can be cheap some times and I could be taking one up the hoop tonight.  I bought these cheap turn signals and the relays for LED'S  and all I get is a white DLR and a mix of white and amber turn signals flashing...is there a know fix for LEDs on a fj09 or are these just shite?

I dont know how to include a small vid 

15852662454028101421844893265601.jpg

How many wires to your new purchase? Any instructions?

You should have a common ground, a running light (DLR) and a turn signal.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

27 minutes ago, BBB said:

How many wires to your new purchase? Any instructions?

You should have a common ground, a running light (DLR) and a turn signal.

And you would be correct.   3 wires.  When I hold the ground to a battery and hold the DLR wire to the positive,  the white light comes on.  When I put the turn signal wire on the positive with the ground on negative...I get nothing.  When I have DRL + and ground -  and add the wire for the amber it goes completely amber flashing with no white DLR.   No so much when i am connected to the bike connector..  obviously the bike does something a little different when you hit the signal button.   I am no electrical genius there for I am stumped.

These are the little buggers 

Screenshot_20200326-201104_AliExpress.jpg

Edited by stumpy

Using your description it seems the DRL's expect to be hot at all times. When you select a turn signal to power it's logic tells it to flash amber and cancel the white. So wire the DRL's to be powered all the time and attach the current turn signal wire for the amber.

• Thumbsup 2

57 minutes ago, Mvich said:

Using your description it seems the DRL's expect to be hot at all times. When you select a turn signal to power it's logic tells it to flash amber and cancel the white. So wire the DRL's to be powered all the time and attach the current turn signal wire for the amber.

it definitely appears that way. that's why i did the test on the battery to confirm my suspicion.

• Supporting Member
On 3/27/2020 at 10:21 AM, stumpy said:

And you would be correct.   3 wires.  When I hold the ground to a battery and hold the DLR wire to the positive,  the white light comes on.  When I put the turn signal wire on the positive with the ground on negative...I get nothing.  When I have DRL + and ground -  and add the wire for the amber it goes completely amber flashing with no white DLR.   No so much when i am connected to the bike connector..  obviously the bike does something a little different when you hit the signal button.   I am no electrical genius there for I am stumped.

These are the little buggers 

Screenshot_20200326-201104_AliExpress.jpg

I'm on the hunt for something like this too.  How have you found these @stumpy?  Bright enough?

9 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I'm on the hunt for something like this too.  How have you found these @stumpy?  Bright enough?

Disappointed in the amber turn signal brightness because it shares space with the white led's.  Wouldn't recommend them.  Stick with solid amber ones that are 3wire for the fronts.  My 2 wire rears are pretty good because all the led's are amber.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

@dazzler24 I have tried several 'cheaper' LED turn signals over the years and have been disappointed with all of them, the saying 'you get what you pay for' certainly holds true.

If you want BRIGHT, compact and indestructible, there is only one - X-Arc. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

You can't go wrong with X_Arc lights! They bright as hell, solid aluminum and will survive a nuclear blast👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, stumpy said:

Disappointed in the amber turn signal brightness because it shares space with the white led's.  Wouldn't recommend them.  Stick with solid amber ones that are 3wire for the fronts.  My 2 wire rears are pretty good because all the led's are amber.

@stumpy - Thanks stumpy.  I was afraid, but expected, that you might say that.  I do like the idea of a white running light separating the colour from the amber turn signal.  I can't help but think that there will be those on the road that see an amber light (solid or blinking) and still think it's a turn signal defeating the very thing that they are intended for - more safety.  But that maybe just me?!

Hmm more thought and reseach required for me I'm thinking.

4 hours ago, betoney said:

@dazzler24 I have tried several 'cheaper' LED turn signals over the years and have been disappointed with all of them, the saying 'you get what you pay for' certainly holds true.

If you want BRIGHT, compact and indestructible, there is only one - X-Arc. 

@betoney - Yes, I remember that you have advocated for these in other posts and they do seem to be of top quality.

For me here in the Land down under it would cost around AU$410 (US$250) landed for 2 pairs of DRL/indicators.  Ouch!

I agree that you do get what you pay for it's just that, well....400 plus clams for blinkers - ouch!  What price for your safety some may say....

Thanks for the feedback.  I may end up down this or similar path yet anyway....

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

Hey guys,  Has anyone had anything to do with the Yamaha Genuine LED Blinkers Plus - FRONT & REAR YME-FLB2F/R-10?

They appear to fill my brief: -

• Running lights front (white) with integrated amber blinker and
  • Running lights rear (red) with integrated amber blinker and Stop light.

These for AU$350 delivered.  Still expensive IMHO but just wanted to hear from anyone who has seen them in the flesh and can offer an opinion on how visible they are in the sunlight.

Also from anyone who has installed them on an early model Tracer.  Any tricks and traps?

I currently have el cheapo basic LED blinkers (i.e. el dimmo) and have installed a LED capable third party blinker relay to supply them.  Just wondering if the resistors that come with the Yamaha ones described above are needed under those circumstances?

At the end of the day, I really don't want to get something that is less than visible and yet pay a lot of money.

TIA for any advice.

Indicators.jpg.890c8fd903206ba788fff5e3da9ba794.jpg

• Supporting Member

I cant remember who used them but they were happy with them. OEM stuff is usually good they have to meet government regulations for brightness. 

• Thanks 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member

@dazzler24 - when you remove the orm lights with the rubber base, you will need an adapter plate to mount the new ones. 

s-l400.jpg

These fill the hole left behind when removing the factory turn signals...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I cant remember who used them but they were happy with them. OEM stuff is usually good they have to meet government regulations for brightness. 

Thanks @roadrash83 - I did some more searching since posting and found a few positive reviews from those that have them and they do seem to 'do the job'.

7 hours ago, betoney said:

@dazzler24 - when you remove the orm lights with the rubber base, you will need an adapter plate to mount the new ones. 

s-l400.jpg

These fill the hole left behind when removing the factory turn signals...

Thanks @betoney - It looks like the Yamaha kits are quite comprehensive and include everything needed to do the conversion including those adaptor plates. Thanks for the feedback though because it made me look a bit harder at the kit to check.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...