Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Trottier

HWY peg ideas ?

Recommended Posts

Revisiting this thread - I'm thinking of adding some highway pegs to the front engine mounting position and had a question for those that have the universal pegs.  These are quite common/available for little cash but are normally mounted to an existing crash bars with the supplied clamp.

Can anyone who has these advise if you think it possible to remove the mounting hardware, drill through from the part that the peg swivels on and be able to use either the existing engine bolt or a suitable substitute to attach it to the bike?

This may or may not work depending on dimensions and clearances but thought it worth the ask as they're cheap enough.

TIA

image.png.418a35e5b0d7fe7b1d2445c658068430.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disclaimer: I run cheap ebay'd knock-off parts all the time, and under most circumstances have been quite happy with what I've got.  

 

I ordered a pair of these.  I tried them, with several adaptations, and ended up throwing them away.  The supplied clamp is utter garbage.  Some people have gotten them to work, even really built up I couldn't get them to clamp onto my crash bars in a secure way that wouldn't suddenly rotate if I say stood on them and hit a bump.  

The pegs themselves are super cheap pot metal.  They work, but they're pretty easy to break, and the paint chips off in big chunks pretty easily. 

To your question:

The swivel part, the rectangular section between the peg and the clamp, is hollow.  The clamps are just C shaped bits of metal bolted into those rectangular sections.  I would absolutely NOT start drilling the rectangular chunks, because it's really shitty metal to start with and there is very little meat left once you account for the threaded holes for the mounting bolts. 

In short: I strongly recommend against doing anything with these at all. There's just not enough to work with in any useful fashion.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wintersdark said:

Disclaimer: I run cheap ebay'd knock-off parts all the time, and under most circumstances have been quite happy with what I've got.  

 

I ordered a pair of these.  I tried them, with several adaptations, and ended up throwing them away.  The supplied clamp is utter garbage.  Some people have gotten them to work, even really built up I couldn't get them to clamp onto my crash bars in a secure way that wouldn't suddenly rotate if I say stood on them and hit a bump.  

The pegs themselves are super cheap pot metal.  They work, but they're pretty easy to break, and the paint chips off in big chunks pretty easily. 

To your question:

The swivel part, the rectangular section between the peg and the clamp, is hollow.  The clamps are just C shaped bits of metal bolted into those rectangular sections.  I would absolutely NOT start drilling the rectangular chunks, because it's really shitty metal to start with and there is very little meat left once you account for the threaded holes for the mounting bolts. 

In short: I strongly recommend against doing anything with these at all. There's just not enough to work with in any useful fashion.  

Thanks @Wintersdark.  An honest appraisal was what I was looking for.  Maybe a pair of longer crash bobbins will do the job - if  I can find some.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Thanks @Wintersdark.  An honest appraisal was what I was looking for.  Maybe a pair of longer crash bobbins will do the job - if  I can find some.

Cheers.

I use these and find them simple, cheap and effective.  I can rest the bottom my foot on them like a stirrup or extend my legs and rest the back of my ankle.  With damaged knees, I use these almost every time I ride.

s-l400.jpg

This set of sliders will fit on a 2014, 2015 or 2016 Yamaha FZ-09. Will also...

 

  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I got a better quality pair of these highway pegs.  I used strips of aluminum cut from a pop can as shims. Now I don't stand on them, as it's not possible to do so where they're located. But for resting the soles of my boots and backs of my calves, they're plenty solid enough, which is what I wanted.

20200510_132718.jpg

20200510_132725.jpg

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Maybe I got a better quality pair of these highway pegs.  I used strips of aluminum cut from a pop can as shims. Now I don't stand on them, as it's not possible to do so where they're located. But for resting the soles of my boots and backs of my calves, they're plenty solid enough, which is what I wanted.

Thanks @2and3cylinders - but I'm wanting to not use the clamps that come with these.  See my earlier post for how I was wanting to attach.

I'm thinking now about either making a set up as per angusmcoz's suggestion or using some crash bobbins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daz, I saw your prior post. Form follows function, G-d is in the details, Less is more, only right is right... LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 12:32 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Maybe I got a better quality pair of these highway pegs.  I used strips of aluminum cut from a pop can as shims. Now I don't stand on them, as it's not possible to do so where they're located. But for resting the soles of my boots and backs of my calves, they're plenty solid enough, which is what I wanted.

20200510_132718.jpg

20200510_132725.jpg

Yeah, that's where I put mine too, though I used 2 layers of bicycle innertube rubber instead as a shim.  It was pretty solid, but still moved on me when I put weight on them.  I'm sure it'd be fine if I only ever rested my feet on them, but I tend to stretch/push/stand/etc while riding as I cramp up pretty easily, and I'm straight up terrified of foot pegs moving. 

334441219_2019-11-0708_52_38.thumb.jpg.97fd775cad210273e8578e559eb87fdc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 11:13 AM, betoney said:

I use these and find them simple, cheap and effective.  I can rest the bottom my foot on them like a stirrup or extend my legs and rest the back of my ankle.  With damaged knees, I use these almost every time I ride.

s-l400.jpg

This set of sliders will fit on a 2014, 2015 or 2016 Yamaha FZ-09. Will also...

 

Hmmm.  I'd like a set of these, but I suspect it wouldn't be as straight forward because my crash bars also use that engine mount.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, that's where I put mine too, though I used 2 layers of bicycle innertube rubber instead as a shim.  It was pretty solid, but still moved on me when I put weight on them.  I'm sure it'd be fine if I only ever rested my feet on them, but I tend to stretch/push/stand/etc while riding as I cramp up pretty easily, and I'm straight up terrified of foot pegs moving. 

334441219_2019-11-0708_52_38.thumb.jpg.97fd775cad210273e8578e559eb87fdc.jpg

I have never seen highway pegs designed to stand with full weight on them.  IMO a simple clamp just can't handle that much load / torque.  Try some aluminum shims and then decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 3:13 AM, betoney said:

I use these and find them simple, cheap and effective.  I can rest the bottom my foot on them like a stirrup or extend my legs and rest the back of my ankle.  With damaged knees, I use these almost every time I ride.

s-l400.jpg

This set of sliders will fit on a 2014, 2015 or 2016 Yamaha FZ-09. Will also...

 

These would suit me as well, it's just a shame that the freight to the land down under is more than the price of the bobbins!  Thanks for the tip though.  I have seen similar bobbins here but are for an FZ6 - see below.

Do you reckon I could make them fit the 2015 Tracer?  I've seen angusmcoz's dimensions of his well made peg mounts and I see that one side of the bike at the forward engine mount has a deeper recess than the other.  (5/8" vs 7/8")  He used an inch bolt to fit into those mount holes so 0.82" is not far off for the diameter and could probably work.

Maybe the judicious use of a hacksaw on one side or the addition of some washers may make the difference - if any?!  The hole size should be fine.

image.thumb.png.0655e7b13bb699d78cb55517861c4d95.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

These would suit me as well, it's just a shame that the freight to the land down under is more than the price of the bobbins!  Thanks for the tip though.  I have seen similar bobbins here but are for an FZ6 - see below.

Do you reckon I could make them fit the 2015 Tracer?  I've seen angusmcoz's dimensions of his well made peg mounts and I see that one side of the bike at the forward engine mount has a deeper recess than the other.  (5/8" vs 7/8")  He used an inch bolt to fit into those mount holes so 0.82" is not far off for the diameter and could probably work.

Maybe the judicious use of a hacksaw on one side or the addition of some washers may make the difference - if any?!  The hole size should be fine.

image.thumb.png.0655e7b13bb699d78cb55517861c4d95.png

Yes, one side has slightly different dimensions.  If the price is fair, it sounds like a good DIY project, I'm sure you wouldn't need too much modification, if at all.

  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, betoney said:

Yes, one side has slightly different dimensions.  If the price is fair, it sounds like a good DIY project, I'm sure you wouldn't need too much modification, if at all.

Thanks.  Description says made from Delrin so if true should be fine for actually providing some protection even though my primary reason is for highway pegs use.

Delivered price - AU$44 compared to AU$103 for the correct, made in USA version.  I would have preferred the USA version but just have to be mindful of the costs vs intended use.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using frame sliders, it is a big help, I'm 6 feet, 210 lbs. 

DSC03315e.jpg

DSC03316e.jpg

DSC03317e.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Thanks.  Description says made from Delrin so if true should be fine for actually providing some protection even though my primary reason is for highway pegs use.

Delivered price - AU$44 compared to AU$103 for the correct, made in USA version.  I would have preferred the USA version but just have to be mindful of the costs vs intended use.

Cheers.

FWIW, I think the ones I bought are made of Delrin as well. 

  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×