Custom LED vs Motodynamic tail lights

So when I got the bike I noticed a disparaging lack of illumination out back with just the ends of the light illuminated while riding. Sure, this provided greater contrast while braking but during the "high noon" of day light, there wasnt much to be seen. Having been rearended before, I was not happy with those lights (you should have seen the tail light on the last bike I had, it would burn out your retinas if you werent having a seizure!)

I contacted Motodynamic to see when the FJ would have a light made since they had one listed for the FZ, albeit out of stock. I was told there was no set date and really, not to hold my breath (in much more polite and customer service friendly words). Later on, I was contacted because they found an FZ prototype in the warehouse if Id like to test it out, and lo and behold it appeared on my doorstep. No packaging to speak of nor instructions, but this wasnt the production model so no big deal. Installation is a simple 2 bolts and wiring is a no brainer. 

Once I got it on, I was thrilled at the blacked out look of it, and the flashing brake and sequential lights. Make something blink and I love it!

Well, that was where the joy ended for me. Once it was on and I could test it out some, I found that the difference between on the brake illumination and running light brightness just wasn't enough for my tastes. So I contacted MD about that and they said that the issue was resolved in the production version, heres a coupon code and please order one, so when they became available I did. This one came packaged nicely and with instructions and with the needed extras to get it running. 

Well, I got it in and sadly the issue was the same. Great fit and finish, but just too close in brightness for my tastes. 

Moving forward I preordered a Custom LED light hoping that this was a company based issue alone, and I asked if MD knew why Custom LED charged so much more and the reply was basically that MD made their lenses in house while CL had to outsource them. While I wasn't sure that the would be the case for a $50 difference, I didnt expect them to give the best reply. 

Anyway, I got the Custom LED light today and my biggest disappointment was that they would not offer it in smoked, but they detailed this on their site as to why they dont and I can live with the clear. 

I have to say that this light is night and day to the Motodynamic. Not only does it seem to me to be much brighter, but you get options like a startup pattern (just a blinky acknowledgement of the bike being on) to the brightness/dimness settings of brake/run, to brake pattern and more. 
This alone made the light worth the extra money IMO. Im never one to spend top dollar if I dont have to, but when it comes to having a Ford shoved forcibly up my ass, Ill shell out the ducats. 

In short, both make a great product and have excellent service, but when it comes down to just function the Custom LED wins.

• Premium Member
Just got through installing the Custom LED tail light on the bike, and I am well pleased with the results.The stock configuration on the brakes is just great 2 or 3 quick flashes and then steady on. No regrets!

I went with the Motodynamic "clear" tail light.

I don't know about the smoked version, but this one is much brighter than stock, and brake lights are very discernible. I like the way it's lit all the way across, unlike the stock version.

tailight.jpg

I left it in sequential mode on the signals, not as visible as a solid block, but since I left the stock signals wired up also, this looks kinda cool. The 3 flashes on braking, then solid on is a real attention getter, exactly what I wanted.

I got the short extension for free to make the wiring harness long enough for the FJ from the FZ-09. I also bought the splitter for the signals to make wiring easier, but I did have to solder 2 wires and shrink tube them.

Pic of cleaned up wiring:

tailight2.jpgtailightwire.jpg

Here is a quick video of my bike:

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJO--oKZgs8]

The brake light flashing can be turned off with a push of a button should a LEO object. Really loving this unit. wub.png

My 2 centavos,
Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
I don't know about the smoked version, but this one is much brighter than stock, and brake lights are very discernible. I like the way it's lit all the way across, unlike the stock version.

I got the short extension for free to make the wiring harness long enough for the FJ from the FZ-09. I also bought the splitter for the signals to make wiring easier, but I did have to solder 2 wires and shrink tube them.

My 2 centavos,
Ty

Ty, I have the same setup but didn't have to do any soldering or anything. What did you have to solder? For the turn signals I used the provided splitters, OEM connectors and "weatherized" bullet connectors that all came with it. That allows me to change the configuration anytime I want in about 5 mins. I totally love the increased conspicuity with the full LED array lit going down the road. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

My 2 centavos,
Ty

Ty, I have the same setup but didn't have to do any soldering or anything. What did you have to solder? For the turn signals I used the provided splitters, OEM connectors and "weatherized" bullet connectors that all came with it. That allows me to change the configuration anytime I want in about 5 mins. I totally love the increased conspicuity with the full LED array lit going down the road. 

The weatherized bullet connectors for the turn signals do not match the OEM splitter. Those are the two wires I soldered.

Ty

• Premium Member
The weatherized bullet connectors for the turn signals do not match the OEM splitter. Those are the two wires I soldered. 
Ty

Interesting. Mine worked perfectly OOTB. Here's a shot of the bullet connector and a link to the OEM splitter. Snaps right in. 
splitter.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Ty

Interesting. Mine worked perfectly OOTB. Here's a shot of the bullet connector and a link to the OEM splitter. Snaps right in. 
splitter.jpg

Hmmm, that explains it! Mine did not have the bullet connectors on the splitters. So I cut off the ends and soldered them to the light. If I dont want the OEM, or the taillight signals, I will just unplug the splitters.

Thx for the pic, loving this light.

Ty

Hmmm, that explains it! Mine did not have the bullet connectors on the splitters. So I cut off the ends and soldered them to the light. If I dont want the OEM, or the taillight signals, I will just unplug the splitters. 
I think the light harness is designed to use their relay extension for the turn signals. Mine came with a relay that made the blinkers retain the same flash rate, and bullets on the ends of the light harness for them.

I will say that the smoke may contribute (MD also is starting to think that as well) but I can say for certain that it is no where near as differentiated as the Custom LED version.

At the end of the day, its whichever you feel most comfortable with. I have the hyper flash on the Custom LED on the bike so even if someone behind me says the light isnt brighter (it is) they cant miss the blink. My "issue" with the MD 4 flash is once the 4 blinks are done, the light doesnt look much brighter than it did before.

Just installed my Custom LED light. All the wires were the right length and installation was a breeze! Very happy.

I haven't wired up the programming switch yet, and I'll probably play with that over the long weekend to pick the brightness and stop patterns I like best.

It's far brighter than stock and is well built. Slight aesthetic difference to the lens, but I think the end result is a brighter light as it seems to magnify the LEDs.

Just installed my Custom LED light. All the wires were the right length and installation was a breeze! Very happy.  
I haven't wired up the programming switch yet, and I'll probably play with that over the long weekend to pick the brightness and stop patterns I like best.

It's far brighter than stock and is well built. Slight aesthetic difference to the lens, but I think the end result is a brighter light as it seems to magnify the LEDs.

Ya, I followed "fjdavid" on a ride a week ago and noticed the different lens on the CustomLed. ( that tells you who was faster! )

I liked the individual LED look of the stock and Motodynamic's taillight better. Just a preference, either one is a great upgrade. One has the option of sequential turn signals, and the other more brake flash options.

I did like david's flashing/then solid brake light, that sold me on the concept, a real attention getter! 

• 9 months later...

If I'm wanting to use the oem turn signals with the tail lights turn signals as well , just tap the wires from tail light into correct sides of oem connection correct?

Thanks in advance

If I'm wanting to use the oem turn signals with the tail lights turn signals as well , just tap the wires from tail light into correct sides of oem connection correct?

Thanks in advance

Yup

Archived