NEW GT OWNER,,did i make the right move ?

Bill H

Howdy ,,getting ready to trade in my fz07,,{thats gonna be tough } for a 2020 GT ,,hope im  making the right move ,,well i know it will be ,i only say that cause that 07 was so fun and easy to maneuver and wheelie .Im barley 5"10 and man it felt tall,,might have to do a lowering kit,  Dealer didnt let me take it for much of a test ride so was pretty hard to get a feel for it other than it was totally different then the 07. Im switching up mostly for longer day trips ,,even though the 07 wasnt bad all day in the saddle it was just  lacking that obvious punch and luggage availability. and now with this S D going on i hope it doesnt sit in my garage all summer . Guess i will be doing my grocery shopping on the other side of town,,hahah 

Bill

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Bill H said:

Howdy ,,getting ready to trade in my fz07,,{thats gonna be tough } for a 2020 GT ,,hope im  making the right move ,,well i know it will be ,i only say that cause that 07 was so fun and easy to maneuver and wheelie .Im barley 5"10 and man it felt tall,,might have to do a lowering kit,  Dealer didnt let me take it for much of a test ride so was pretty hard to get a feel for it other than it was totally different then the 07. Im switching up mostly for longer day trips ,,even though the 07 wasnt bad all day in the saddle it was just  lacking that obvious punch and luggage availability. and now with this S D going on i hope it doesnt sit in my garage all summer . Guess i will be doing my grocery shopping on the other side of town,,hahah 

Bill

I don't want to talk you out of anything but since you asked...  I cant help but think that trading a bike you love on a $13k bike just for day trips might not make financial sense.  Since you already have a bike, could you add luggage racks and soft bags and install cruise control for around $1300?

swmotech_blaze_saddlebag_system_yamaha_f

Blaze Saddlebags quickly mount onto detachable support arms to offer a...

-OR-

There are a lot of 2019 base Tracers online at Cycle Trader and at dealers selling for $7k.  The $6k difference could buy you cruise control and side bags with thousands left over, unless you absolutely need the TFT display and quick shifter found on the GT. 

I'm just looking at this from a practical perspective.  Either way, the Tracer/ GT is a FANTASTIC bike.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

No diss, betoney, but when did owning ANY mobike make financial sense?   Juss' sayin'...

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I don't want to talk you out of anything but since you asked...  I cant help but think that trading a bike you love on a $13k bike just for day trips might not make financial sense.  Since you already have a bike, could you add luggage racks and soft bags and install cruise control for around $1300?

swmotech_blaze_saddlebag_system_yamaha_f

Blaze Saddlebags quickly mount onto detachable support arms to offer a...

-OR-

There are a lot of 2019 base Tracers online at Cycle Trader and at dealers selling for $7k.  The $6k difference could buy you cruise control and side bags with thousands left over, unless you absolutely need the TFT display and quick shifter found on the GT. 

I'm just looking at this from a practical perspective.  Either way, the Tracer/ GT is a FANTASTIC bike.

Oh man dont burst my bubble,,haha,,you make good points and i have gone around with them for awhile,,first let me correct my wording,,when i said day trips i meant days ,,last year we did a 2k trip over 6 days ,,and it really wasnt that bad and the fz07 really shined in some places but not so much in many others. so its time for an upgrade . im not a rich man and saving that 6k is SOOO tempting but hey we only live once ,,i dont see me getting rid of this bike for awhile  and i really do like that dash ,,plus the upgrade suspension. as much as i loved the fz07 I think it will be a distant memory after a few miles on the Tracer,,at least i hope so.

• Like 1

I traded my FZ07 in on a 2019 Tracer, (NON GT), and have not been a bit sorry...then put on a pipe, had the ECU flashed by 2WDW, and took off about 26 lbs of crap that was not needed...it's a Certified ROCKET !!

love it....  and you can always add bags later man...the Yamaha factory stuff is WAY too expensive for what you get...

I didn't need a quikshifter, I know how to shift it,... and the display?  ....  for that much money ?  not me.....tyvm....

DSC_1377.JPG

it's now fast and NASTY !!!   :D

• Thumbsup 3

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, Bill H said:

Oh man dont burst my bubble,,haha,,you make good points and i have gone around with them for awhile,,first let me correct my wording,,when i said day trips i meant days ,,last year we did a 2k trip over 6 days ,,and it really wasnt that bad and the fz07 really shined in some places but not so much in many others. so its time for an upgrade .

The FJ/Tracer/GT is a great light sport touring bike, I have taken mine on many 7-10 day road trips, the longest being 4,100 miles last summer.  Between upgraded suspension, cruise control and a custom made seat, I couldn't ask for more from a bike at this price point.  

The CP3 motor is AMAZING, every review you read praises the motor and it is all true.  It is a peppy, torquey motor that loves to rev with absolutely no problem staying in 3rd gear at 80-100mph (if you so choose) in the fun stuff and still comfortable on the highway with the CC locked and feet up on highway pegs.

I can't emphasize enough how much of an improvement a custom built seat makes for everyday riding as well as longer road trips.  I rode to Rich's in Kingston and had a seat built and then took off for Utah the next day.  Several 500+ mile days with no discomfort.👍

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, BugsInTeeth said:

took off about 52 lbs of crap that was not needed...it's a Certified ROCKET !!

Besides the exhaust and hand guards, what did you remove that weighs 52 lbs.?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Rear stand and pegs scrape enough at the regular ride height when leaned over. Lowering will make it worse. Not so much the GT but earlier models had the infamous oil drain plug issue....

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

3 hours ago, BugsInTeeth said:

I traded my FZ07 in on a 2019 Tracer, (NON GT), and have not been a bit sorry...then put on a pipe, had the ECU flashed by 2WDW, and took off about 52 lbs of crap that was not needed...it's a Certified ROCKET !!

love it....  and you can always add bags later man...the Yamaha factory stuff is WAY too expensive for what you get...

I didn't need a quikshifter, I know how to shift it,... and the display?  ....  for that much money ?  not me.....tyvm....

DSC_1377.JPG

it's now fast and NASTY !!!   :D

yup hard to disagree with you ,,plus its a better looking bike IMO,,,not a big fan of the black and copper ,

2DWD is 5 miles from my house ,, so let me ask you since you had the 07 ,how is the suspension on your tracer compared ? I didnt feel super confident on mine 

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Besides the exhaust and hand guards, what did you remove that weighs 52 lbs.?

Pillion?

• Haha 3

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

2 hours ago, duhs10 said:

Rear stand and pegs scrape enough at the regular ride height when leaned over. Lowering will make it worse. Not so much the GT but earlier models had the infamous oil drain plug issue....

like this ,

New GT owner did you make the right choice?

YES!

The 900 Tracer is a fantastic bike and I am sure you will have no regrets. I have copied a previous comment I made to another prospective buyer in a previous post below. So, whatever you do buy and enjoy.

If you feel it is a good deal, GO FOR IT. I went for a two year old Tracer last July with about 7,000 miles on it. My wife had suggested that I look at buying a new bike but I coudn;t justify it to myself. No regrets and I would never critisise anyone for buying new but I probably saved myself about £4,000 rather than going down a new GT route. My riding buddy's new GT he bought last year about the same time as my purchase is better than mine but not £4,000 pounds better.

• Thumbsup 1