NEW GT OWNER,,did i make the right move ?

Bill H

10 hours ago, betoney said:

Besides the exhaust and hand guards, what did you remove that weighs 52 lbs.?

I misprinted that and corrected it I MEANT to say 26 lbs, not 52....bike now weighs 446 lbs ....

exhaust, centerstand, passenger pegs-brackets, rear grabrails, and did a tail tidy made of aluminum....muffler and centerstand were the biggies, altho the grabrails ain't lite.....

• Thumbsup 1

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

7 hours ago, Bill H said:

yup hard to disagree with you ,,plus its a better looking bike IMO,,,not a big fan of the black and copper ,

2DWD is 5 miles from my house ,, so let me ask you since you had the 07 ,how is the suspension on your tracer compared ? I didnt feel super confident on mine 

I think the suspension is WAY better than the FZ07's....I did a Razor Ktec Lite and Cogent DDcs on the FZ07 and have done nothing to this but set the sag up and it's fine...I am 72, and don't get too crazy anymore in the twisties however....I usually have about 1/2 inch of "Chicken strips"  on the sides of the tires so I'm leaning it, but not extremely so....

I will also say this :  it's the most "Confidence Inspiring"  bike I've EVER rode....solid as a rock on the Freeway. and stable and sure thru the fast twisties, .... I absolutely love it  :D

• Like 1

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

If you plan to take the rear stand off the bike then lowering shouldn't be too big of an issue.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

16 hours ago, betoney said:

I don't want to talk you out of anything but since you asked...  I cant help but think that trading a bike you love on a $13k bike just for day trips might not make financial sense.  Since you already have a bike, could you add luggage racks and soft bags and install cruise control for around $1300?

swmotech_blaze_saddlebag_system_yamaha_f

Blaze Saddlebags quickly mount onto detachable support arms to offer a...

-OR-

There are a lot of 2019 base Tracers online at Cycle Trader and at dealers selling for $7k.  The $6k difference could buy you cruise control and side bags with thousands left over, unless you absolutely need the TFT display and quick shifter found on the GT. 

I'm just looking at this from a practical perspective.  Either way, the Tracer/ GT is a FANTASTIC bike.

You have pretty much stated my thoughts on purchasing the lower priced 2019 unit. I was priced OTD for $7.9k  Can’t even find used pricing that justifies buying used.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BugsInTeeth said:

I think the suspension is WAY better than the FZ07's....I did a Razor Ktec Lite and Cogent DDcs on the FZ07 and have done nothing to this but set the sag up and it's fine...I am 72, and don't get too crazy anymore in the twisties however....I usually have about 1/2 inch of "Chicken strips"  on the sides of the tires so I'm leaning it, but not extremely so....

I will also say this :  it's the most "Confidence Inspiring"  bike I've EVER rode....solid as a rock on the Freeway. and stable and sure thru the fast twisties, .... I absolutely love it  :D

i pick up bike at the end of the month,,,starting to get stoked after reading this,,thanks for the positive words

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, spitfireorca said:

You. are. going. to. love. it. I live close by, we can take a ride and you can see what an FJ09 tuned up by 2WDW feels like if your hesitant about letting those gents fix her up. 

sounds good ,,,Im on the east side ,,Redmond area ,,,,you ?

On 4/8/2020 at 9:25 AM, spitfireorca said:

West side for me, magnolia/Ballard area of Seattle!

SEEING AS YOU CAME FROM THE FZ07 TO FJ DO YOU EVER MISS THAT LOW END TORQUE WERE YOU COULD LOFT THE FRONT END WITH EASE   OR IS THAT STILL DOABLE ON THE TRACER ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bill H said:

SEEING AS YOU CAME FROM THE FZ07 TO FJ DO YOU EVER MISS THAT LOW END TORQUE WERE YOU COULD LOFT THE FRONT END WITH EASE   OR IS THAT STILL DOABLE ON THE TRACER ?

I mean now that I’ve had the FJ and also an MT10 to keep it company, I don’t really miss the 07 much (if at all). I have plenty of torque on the FJ. I’m not a wheelie guy but the front wheel always wants to kiss the sky. What I miss most about the 07 is the lightness of the bike, the growl of the engine and super light clutch (FJ09 is great on the clutch though, MT10 is heavy as hell). Oddly enough I’m thinking of trading in my 10 for an 09, nothing beats the triple motor for urban riding. I’ll never get rid of my FJ, ever. Best all around bike I’ve ever had. Unless it’s for a new TRACER GT....

Edited by spitfireorca

33 minutes ago, spitfireorca said:

I mean now that I’ve had the FJ and also an MT10 to keep it company, I don’t really miss the 07 much (if at all). I have plenty of torque on the FJ. I’m not a wheelie guy but the front wheel always wants to kiss the sky. What I miss most about the 07 is the lightness of the bike, the growl of the engine and super light clutch (FJ09 is great on the clutch though, MT10 is heavy as hell). Oddly enough I’m thinking of trading in my 10 for an 09, nothing beats the triple motor for urban riding. I’ll never get rid of my FJ, ever. Best all around bike I’ve ever had. Unless it’s for a new TRACER GT....

YUP THERES ALWAYS A TRADE OFF,,,iM NO WHEELIE GUY EITHER ,,IN FACT NEVER DONE ONE ,,NO GUTS NO GLORY ,,,I JUST LOVE THE FEELING OF GETTING ABOUT A FOOT OFF THE GROUND AND RIDING IT OUT,,THAT 10;S A LOT OF BIKE ,,I BOUNCED BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN TRACER AND 09,,  SO MANY NICE BIKES ,,,BE NICE TO HAVE ONE OF EACH,,,, haha

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME

• Like 1