Can we or can't we? That is the question! - COVID-19

• Supporting Member

To the Aussie riding fraternity (Qld in particular - but others are welcome to chime in),

I search and look to find the answer but there are so many varied responses from all and sundry.  Yet there is not one can I find that is definitive and backed by law that is clear!

I'm hearing that there are instances of people being fined for just being out and about for 'no reason' - the reasons being defined in the link below.  On the other hand, I'm hearing that it's OK to go for a leisure ride as it can be classed as it's a form of exercise - reason C in the link below.  I'm also hearing that there is doubt around that being a good enough reason to go for a ride as well!

And this is the trouble, so many 'opinions' out there.  As we all know, opinions are like ar$eholes, we've all got one!

I'm in Qld and the best authority I can go to for an answer is the "Home confinement, Movement and Gathering Direction" issued by the Qld Health portal.

There's also this interpretation and this one from independent sources and I'm sure many others!

FWIW I've emailed the author of the ABC article above to request his source for his statement - "Going on a solo motorcycle ride counts as exercise, according to the Queensland Health Minister's office."

Is there anyone out there that can point me to something that feels like an answer that you can call definitive and built on a bedrock of confidence?

And finally, this quote I think sums it up nicely -"If the government expects people to obey the law, the law must be clear. It must not depend upon the exercise of a discretion by a police officer."

Sincerely yours,

Confused.🤷‍♂️

P.S. And to be clear - I'm talking about going for a ride from my home and back to my home alone.  If I stop it will be at a remote location and not around others, to have a drink or snack (that I bring with me).  There is no having a coffee or food at a cafe (if it was even open!) or sitting at a public table and chairs in a park.  No fuel station stops.  I'm talking isolating in my own helmet for the majority of the outing.

• Thumbsup 1

My daughter is about to phone the pleece to seek clarification on the ABC (TV) news report that in Q'ld solo motorcycling, with all the caveats that dazzler notes above (him being a very law-abiding Bloke 'n' all that).   I shall advise.   I would myself go into the local pleece station to ask, but they might recognise me! 

If I do go out, I'll carry a copy of the article with me.   Might have to return the OPTIMATe battery charger/ tender just ordered! 

LATER EDIT.   Bloody 'ell.   In addition to wearing ATGATT we've now got to become lawyers adept at speed-reading.  Talk about confusion.   I'm shattered... 

dazz - please let us know asap any response to your e-mail about the ABC article... it's such lovely weather!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Like 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

My daughter is about to phone the pleece to seek clarification on the ABC (TV) news report that in Q'ld solo motorcycling....  I would myself go into the local pleece station to ask, but they might recognise me!

Good move on your daughters, and your part Wordy.  She will be using her married name when asking the questions and the face recognition software would pick you up before you got through the front door!

If I do go out, I'll carry a copy of the article with me.

And that's exactly what I too seek.  Something to be able to wave in the general direction (politely of course) of anyone who may challenge.

• Supporting Member

Well, well, well.  It seems that confusion reigns supreme!  Always good when times require stability.

Since starting this thread I've received a reply from the said Journalist and a reply independently from a friend who is in the police force.

The Journalist assures me that the Health Dept's advice/guidance is in response to questions from the public seeking the answer to the conundrum and the police's response was one of - it's not classed as an exempt activity and you can expect to receive traffic infringement notices.  Being out and about in a car, bike, boat or whatever for any reason other than to obtain food, medicine, etc is a no-no. (And don't think that saying you're out to get some fresh food is going to wash either!  They're already on to that.)

I have put it to the journalist from the National broadcaster who is following up with someone who got fined so will hopefully follow up on this info with the appropriate authorities to get actual clarification. quote - "I am hoping to be able to speak to that person who I’m told was fined, so I can raise the issue in reporting and with both agencies."

So, watch this space if interested.

OR.... if you don't hear from me again, I've been dragged off to the Gulag for inciting civil disobedience, insurrection and general trouble making and will undergo 'correction' accordingly!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

OR.... if you don't hear from me again, I've been dragged off to the Gulag for inciting civil disobedience, insurrection and general trouble making and will undergo 'correction' accordingly!

Shades of Geo Orwell's 'Nineteen Eightyfour', which was dismissed as fanciful nonsense!   This farrago has been the greatest f--k-up since the Titanic.   Just wait until I'm in charge...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Here is Alabama there are no specific directions regarding motorcycle riding, which I guess can be considered to be an "outside activity", which is allowed.  I have been going for short 2-3 hour rides on the weekends.  But I ride alone, refuel at home (I typically keep 15 gallons of fuel at the house for the emergency power generator) and don't stop where there are other people. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

• Supporting Member

I do get why rules need to be in place and certainly it's very important in this case.   It's just unfortunate that they are often put there to cater for the lowest common denominator in any given society.  It's unfortunately true that the few that always want to push the boundaries and circumvent the implied intent and spirit of any lawful direction will ALWAYS ruin it for the rest of the law-abiding community.

Not a million miles away from this topic is the matter of our bikes being insured while basically off-the-road because of covid restrictions.   Read on...

My ex-insurance company QBE has told me that they cannot – which means will not – temporarily suspend or ‘freeze’ insurance cover for my motorcycle that I may not be able to use for several months, thanks to non-essential use being prohibited.

Numerous other businesses - even the banks, believe it or not! - are bending over backwards to be helpful and flexible in understanding out-of-the-ordinary customer needs at this time, but QBE will not.   It will rebound on them, reputationally if not in other ways.

So I have cancelled my policy with them, and the $435 refund will now be better-off in my pocket than in theirs.

I must admit, an hour or two after taking this action, to feeling a little ‘naked’ and unprotected, but the bike is kept in a solid brick garage under the same roof as the house, securely locked at all times, all protected by internal alarms.   The bike itself is well-secured with BMW security features, plus a sonic disc-lock that would awaken the dead if set-off, and keys well-hidden.   And in these very strange times, the house is occupied 24/ 7. 

And should the house and garage burn down and everything be destroyed, I shall have more important things to worry about than a lost motorcycle!  

It goes without saying that QBE will never see me as a customer again, despite my having been with them, claim-free, for very many years.

Edited by wordsmith

Looking forward to that happy day when we are all released from jail, would Aussies here care to suggest alternative insurance providers who you have used and found affordable and satisfactory. TIA...

Edited by wordsmith

• Supporting Member

FWIW I use Swann Insurance.  I've not had to make a claim so can't advise you on that score.

I think your machine is just over $400/yr for Comprehensive insurance - market value.

One good thing is that you can do a quick quote online without having to give up every detail about your life first.  Also they have an option for roadside & personal assistance - at an additional cost of course!

Good luck!

Thanks, dazz.   It seems $413 to $441 is the estimate.   When time comes, I might add Roadside Assist - never had to useit myself, but have been with mates who did, once in the back-blocks of Tassie, and it seems worthwhile.   FWIW - new BMWs automatically come with three years RA!   I'll keep Swann in mind for when the time comes.  

• Thumbsup 1

I'm beginning to get together some on-line quotes, all being based upon identical (honest) information from me as to my claims history (zero), the bike, where garaged, etc. A VERY interesting exercise - thus far quotes range from low $400's to mid-$700's, and all from well-known insurers.   

Please continue to let me know any suggested companies you may have used - I'd like to get as many quotes as possible, within reason.   I think my age may 'load-up' the premiums, the fact that I have answered all the on-line questions in Latin maybe being a giveaway!

AAMI for me @ $441 for $10,500 comprehensive.

Went for a ride in my suburb today, pre and post oil change.

Police have warned people in our area that fines will apply from now on if a reasonable excuse is not forthcoming.

Up to the Police at the time to judge your excuse.