Trying to decide between FJ or Hyperstrada

ctrlaltdl

Just get one with a warranty and sell it when the warranty is over.

Just compare the service costs. If that doesn't turn you off, you're a Ducati man for sure.

Not really a concern for me, NO ONE works on my bikes but me.

The Multistrada is on my list of bikes to own. And, Ducati service really isn't that bad. Again, I would skip the Warranty and find a good private Ducati mechanic to do the Valve checks for much cheaper than what a dealer would charge.  
But, a Hyperstrada compared to an FJ-09? The Hyperstrada is more like an FZ-09. Fun bikes, but I wouldn't pay 14,000 for a bike that is limited to 140 miles on a tank of gas. That is what the $8,000 FZ-09 is for. It's a fun short trip kind of bike. The FJ-09 is a fun but go as far as you want kind of bike.

If you are gonna get a Ducati, get a panigale or a Multistrada.

I'd love to get a Multistrada, but I think it'd be too much bike for my wife, not to mention the extra $5-6K that it costs. The Panigale would just be trouble for me. ;) I stopped riding sport bikes because of that, some how I lived through those years without an accident or many tickets. Of course they can't ticket you if they can't catch you. But those were my Young, Dumb, and Full of %^& days.

The 140 mile range is just about right for "butt-breaks", so that's not too much of a concern.

I'm actually looking at New (old stock) 2013 Hyperstrada's so the costs is almost the same as the FJ.

Try to get a demo ride on both would be my suggestion.

When the Hyperstrada 1st came out, I thought that might be worth a look, but when I had a chance to sit on one that changed as I personally didn't like how it felt-like you sit to far forward and after having a chance to ride a friend's Multistrada, that would be the way I would go if a Duc was in my future-it just fits/feels better even being only 5'7".

As it is, the FJ is still on my short list.

Try to get a demo ride on both would be my suggestion. I personally didn't like how it felt-like you sit to far forward

I know what you mean, I felt like I was sitting on top of the front tire. It would take a bit to get used to it, but it didn't feel that abnormal to me, since my last two dirt bikes felt like that ('10 YZ-450, '11 Husky TXC-449). A lot of the late model dirt bikes feel like that, now that the tanks are all molded tightly through out the frame and under the seat, instead of out in front of you.

So I bit the bullet and bought the FJ today! 8-)

Ultimately the clutch on the Hyperstrada was the deal breaker for me. I just don't think my wife could get used to it. Sounds like Ducati fixed it on the 2015 Monsters, but the parts are about $1,000.

The FJ needs some serious tuning, but that's only $200 and I'm going to need that anyways when I put a new muffler/pipe on it. I ordered the OEM heated grips as well, which are back ordered already into May.

• Premium Member
I think you and your wife will enjoy the F-Jay (once again, notice the spelling). I love mine, and smile every time I ride it.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived