Givi V37 side bags

Hi all

Does anyone have a set of Givi V37 side bags on their bike? I believe that @fjrpittsburgh has a set on his FZ-07, but I wasn't able to find any other references on the site.

I know that the mounting rails for the GT and non-GT are different - but was just curious if anyone has any experience with them.

I had Givi V35 bags (with Motech racks) on my Ninja 1000 and they are well-made and offer so much more space than the ones that came on my GT.

I really like the look of the V37 bags as they are more streamlined and to me, fit the look of the bike better than some of the other options out there.

Cheers,

Rob

givi-plxr2139-quick-support-for-luggage-side-case-givi-monokey-side-yamaha-tracer-900-gt-2018-2019.jpg

• Supporting Member

@rlambke19 - Those side bags look nice.  I would like to see photos from the rear of the bike, that's the only thing I don't like about my Shad 36 cases, very bulbous and wide, (but they will hold my XL helmet,) I wish the mounting rack allowed them to be mounted about 3" inboard on each side.

Here are some reviews on the V37 cases.

givi_v37_side_cases.jpg

Inject some Italian style into your ride while adding a whopping 74 liters of...

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

@rlambke19 - Those side bags look nice.  I would like to see photos from the rear of the bike, that's the only thing I don't like about my Shad 36 cases, very bulbous and wide, (but they will hold my XL helmet,) I wish the mounting rack allowed them to be mounted about 3" inboard on each side.

Here are some reviews on the V37 cases.

givi_v37_side_cases.jpg

Inject some Italian style into your ride while adding a whopping 74 liters of...

Agreed - the picture that I posted was the closest thing to the rear view as I could find.

Thanks for the link to the reviews - the second one is from a "Robert B" who has them on his '15 FJ-09 - so maybe they are also on here and will chime in.

Similar to the SW Motech racks I had on my Ninja, the racks can easily be removed when the bags aren't on the bike. See below for with and without rack.

plxr2139.jpg

Edited by rlambke19

My thoughts are you have to decide whats more important to you Form or Function. When I test rode the GT last year I knew that he standard panniers woudn't do it for me and one of the reasons I finally went for the bike I bought was it came with a full set of Shad luggage. But realisticly I only use the side cases two or three weekends a year and My weeks camping tour with my two pals. What was of more importance to me was how the bike looked If I wasn't riding with the panniers on I don't particularly like the look of some of the pannier racks on the side of the bike and prefer the simpler looking support for the shad panniers. 

2.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, HGP61 said:

What was of more importance to me was how the bike looked If I wasn't riding with the panniers on I don't particularly like the look of some of the pannier racks on the side of the bike and prefer the simpler looking support for the shad panniers.

I only use the side bags a few times a year as well and when the bags aren't on the bike, the racks come off too.  Another nice thing about Shad is their minimalist, unobtrusive rack system, very easy to remove when not in use.

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, HGP61 said:

My thoughts are you have to decide whats more important to you Form or Function. When I test rode the GT last year I knew that he standard panniers woudn't do it for me and one of the reasons I finally went for the bike I bought was it came with a full set of Shad luggage. But realisticly I only use the side cases two or three weekends a year and My weeks camping tour with my two pals. What was of more importance to me was how the bike looked If I wasn't riding with the panniers on I don't particularly like the look of some of the pannier racks on the side of the bike and prefer the simpler looking support for the shad panniers. 

2.jpg

Wholly agree. I've had hard panniers on my bikes since my '98 Bandit 1200 (Corbin Beetle Bags), several different iterations of Givi bags (heck, I even put V35s on my ZX-14!) and various versions of stock bags on different bikes (VFR etc.)

I like the almost non-existent mounting points of the OEM GT bags when the bags are off.

And like you, I really only need the extra room for my week long trips 2 or 3 times a year. I don't use a trunk/top case but strap a tail bag to my passenger seat - which works fine...but I would like a little extra room in the panniers. I do have FJR pannier lids, but haven't bothered to sap them out as I'm still not 100% sure that I want to go this route.

@HGP61 - any chance you can post a pic of your bike with the panniers removed?

Cheers,

Rob

IMG-20110812-00066.thumb.jpg.d1fbaa28ad31b35a98ca89e1152f500b.jpg

• Supporting Member

These are very are nice side cases, but size/width-wise... kinda look like they might be equivalent to Shad SH36. For this same Shad mounting system, a smaller set of inexpensive cases (SH23) is available for the everyday/commuting etc. See this thread for comparison.

I am not necessarily promoting Shad per se (their support in NA has been inconsistent), but this type of setup/solution has served me very well. I switch to the large boxes on week-long outings (~3 times a year), and otherwise the smaller cases are always on the bike. Just a thought.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

2 hours ago, piotrek said:

These are very are nice side cases, but size/width-wise... kinda look like they might be equivalent to Shad SH36. For this same Shad mounting system, a smaller set of inexpensive cases (SH23) is available for the everyday/commuting etc. See this thread for comparison.

I am not necessarily promoting Shad per se (their support in NA has been inconsistent), but this type of setup/solution has served me very well. I switch to the large boxes on week-long outings (~3 times a year), and otherwise the smaller cases are always on the bike. Just a thought.

Just confirming that the Shad racks stay on the bike at all times, correct?  Eg. There is no "quick disconnect" to remove them when not in use.

Where are people purchasing their Shad gear from? Direct from Yamaha or is there a cheaper option?

Rob

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

Just confirming that the Shad racks stay on the bike at all times, correct?  Eg. There is no "quick disconnect" to remove them when not in use.

Where are people purchasing their Shad gear from? Direct from Yamaha or is there a cheaper option?

Rob

There is no 'quick disconnect' other than 4 bolts, which means about 2-3 minutes per side.

Shad are not a Yamaha product therefore not available from Yamaha.  Direct from Shad they are just over $700 with the racks, I cant find any place online that has them in stock.

Here is a photo of the rack system.

Black

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

I bought my set with the bike, through Yamaha dealer... but then added SH23 cased through Kimpex back in 2017. There was a time when they stopped importing these, and now they're stocking again.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

10 hours ago, betoney said:

There is no 'quick disconnect' other than 4 bolts, which means about 2-3 minutes per side.

Shad are not a Yamaha product therefore not available from Yamaha.  Direct from Shad they are just over $700 with the racks, I cant find any place online that has them in stock.

Here is a photo of the rack system.

Black

Here in Canada - you can buy Shad products directly from Yamaha. They are listed as available accessories for the Tracer.

The mounting system for the GT and the non-GT (as pictured above) are different. It's hard to tell, but looks like 3-4 bolts still. I really did like the ease of use with my Motech racks and Givi bags.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rlambke19

I have found the SHAD attaching system very quick and convinient to fit. and as much as I like my panniers when I was following My riding buddy on his GT last tour his bike with the standard system did look good. Mine definately has more of a Kim Kardasian rear end look but hay ho some blokes might prefer that.

Rob mine looks like the one posted above only in lovely black.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1