New member, not new owner, in upstate New York

Jfundo

Bought a 2019 Tracer last summer after a 5 year hiatus from bikes (last bike was a 2009 V-strom 650, and I'm starting to think that I stopped riding because that bike bored me). 

Added on a quickshifter.  Loving the bike.  Been my only outside activity for the last few weeks when the temps get up into the 50's.  

Want to change out the seat, stock isn't terrible, but I don't like the feeling that I'm always sliding into the tank. Not sure which path to go down with the seat.  Not a fan of corbin single piece, not a fan of the poor fitting sargent.  

Big surprise with the bike, my 14-year old daughter loves to ride on back.  She wants to go out no matter the weather, so I always have a good built-in reason to head out.  Wife got a new Z400 that she doesn't like so we are trying to figure out a replacement.  Her last bike was a '95 Ninja 500 that she loved, so thinking maybe we just track down another one of those. 

This is the end of your debriefing.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum @Jfundo.  Myself and a few others have sent our seats to Terry's custom seats in Tennessee and have had excellent results.  I have a Sargent, which is much better that the stock '16 seat, but the seat being redone by Terry is head and shoulders above the Sargent.  

As for your wife's bike, my wife went from a 2015 Honda CB300f to a 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT and absolutely loves it.  I just added a lowering kit, heated grips with some handlebar risers  and she is good to go...nice power for her abilities and super comfy for all day rides with great wind protection.

• Thumbsup 1

Yeah, I love the pics of seats that came from Terry's.  I don't want to go without my bike though.  I should've taken care of this over the winter.  How long does he take typically?

I've always like the versys, I'll mention it to her.  I've been trying to push an SV650 on her.  She isn't going to listen to me though, I'm just along for the ride.

• Premium Member

Welcome! Lot's of beautiful country in your area, when the weather cooperates. I was in Utica for work recently, and should be back when these travel restrictions ease up. 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Jfundo said:

Wife got a new Z400 that she doesn't like so we are trying to figure out a replacement.  Her last bike was a '95 Ninja 500 that she loved, so thinking maybe we just track down another one of those.

What did she like about the Ninja 500 and dislike about the Z400?  Maybe we could help offer suggestions.  Both Honda and Kawasaki offer some very nice mid-sized bikes.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

It is a great place for riding. I'm in the middle of the fingerlakes.  I can go for a ride and see less than 5 cars per hour on wild farm roads, or I can ride around one of the lakes (circled Owasco lake last night), can ride north up to Lake Ontario, and it is only 2 hours to get into the adirondacks which have amazing roads and scenery.  Plus I can hit about a dozen waterfalls within 90 minutes of my house (many of them are amazing).  There are places with better rides, but hard to find the variety. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

She didn't like the riding position on the Z400.  Very uncomfortable for her.  Plus the lack of any windscreen was an issue (I know that is resolvable). The Ninja 500 was a perfect fit.  Perfect amount of power. 

She loves the the Yamaha SR400 too, but never sat on one.  She is a tough nut to crack.  Which is why I lean towards the ninja, I know she will like it.  

Edited by Jfundo

Welcome to the forum. I can't comment on the original seat, My bike came to me with the Yamaha comfort seat speced by the original owner and I find that very comfortable did a 300mile day last summer coming back from a week long tour with no issues.Its a pity you can't try before you buy with comfort related items.

7 hours ago, Jfundo said:

Yeah, I love the pics of seats that came from Terry's.  I don't want to go without my bike though.  I should've taken care of this over the winter.  How long does he take typically?

I've always like the versys, I'll mention it to her.  I've been trying to push an SV650 on her.  She isn't going to listen to me though, I'm just along for the ride.

Just give him a call.  Terry's Custom Seats is the name of his company.  You can get him to use an existing seat pan for an an additional charge then he refunds it back when he receives your original seat.  Great couple to work with.

20 hours ago, Jfundo said:

Winter can be his busiest time as that is when many folks want to send off their seat for customization.  He contacts you when he is ready to build yours so that once he receives it he will rebuild it right away and ship it back to you.  I contacted him in January and he was booked solid up to May!!  I went ahead and sent my deposit and information so I would be scheduled for a build.  I should be able to ship mine to him around the middle of next month.  Until then the stock seat will have to do.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.