Radiator Guard / Grill

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nhchris said:

Hey guys,

Do any of you folks notice reduced cooling due to diminished air flow with a rad guard in place?

I have never read / heard of a radiator puncture or damage on a street-only Tracer.  With a front fender extender I don't see how the radiator could be hit by anything the front tire kicks up.

Has anyone had radiator damage on one of these bikes?

I have had radiator guards on my last few bikes and ridden in 100F+ temps, both moving and stuck in traffic, I have never had a bike overheat.

Both me and a riding buddy have had birds fly into the engine as well as other locations, I've personally hit at least 4 birds.  My radiator guard isn't dented but has small dings and chips from road debris.

You might never 'need' a radiator guard (or crash bars or frame sliders) but so far I have never 'needed' my helmet, but I'm not going to take the chance of riding without it.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 7/15/2020 at 4:30 PM, Samaha said:

thank you Howton RandyN.  Followed in your footsteps.  Install took 20 minutes because i'm already familiar with removing the side fairings.  Quality is great and best of all is the fit on a 2020 900 GTIMG_3454.thumb.jpg.f1801ab32bb8e0ec9c7ad301657dbab2.jpgIMG_3455.thumb.jpg.3baa72bae9ccc92e4c7206ddc924f169.jpgIMG_3456.thumb.jpg.7d595e46aab5490b07f9ec46620c9b38.jpg.  It came with an adhesive foam strip which i tried and ended up not using.  Im very happy with this purchase.

Installed the same one last night. Fits perfect and looks great. I cut the foam strip and put a piece on each side, that was the only logical place from what I could tell. I had never had the bike apart and the install took less than an hour. 

Edited by Shizzle

• Supporting Member

R&G Radiator Guard install. First mod for my brand new left over zero miles 2017 FJ-09.

Looks like this one may  have been discontinued? Good quality but connected on bottom with tie-wrap...ugg.

1.Remove the two top radiator bolts with an allen wrench, discard the right hand one with the longer supplied bolt.

2.Reinstall the bolts while threading them through the top two loops on the rad guard.

3.Zip tie the bottom of the rad guard in place at its center point.

Some sticky back foam was supplied to stick on the edges of the guard. I wasn't going to use this but after install I feared the guard might rattle as it only had the center attachment point on the bottom, and both bottom corners were hanging. I strategically placed a few pieces of the sticky backed foam here and there to eliminate rattles.

Instructions called for removing panels etc, but I fat fingered it with a couple of short allen wrenches and was done in about 30 minutes.

Depending on how this holds up it may be replaced with one that has at least four attachment points. 

R&G Radiator Guard 2.jpg

59 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

R&G Radiator Guard install. First mod for my brand new left over zero miles 2017 FJ-09.

Looks like this one may  have been discontinued? Good quality but connected on bottom with tie-wrap...ugg.

1.Remove the two top radiator bolts with an allen wrench, discard the right hand one with the longer supplied bolt.

2.Reinstall the bolts while threading them through the top two loops on the rad guard.

3.Zip tie the bottom of the rad guard in place at its center point.

Some sticky back foam was supplied to stick on the edges of the guard. I wasn't going to use this but after install I feared the guard might rattle as it only had the center attachment point on the bottom, and both bottom corners were hanging. I strategically placed a few pieces of the sticky backed foam here and there to eliminate rattles.

Instructions called for removing panels etc, but I fat fingered it with a couple of short allen wrenches and was done in about 30 minutes.

Depending on how this holds up it may be replaced with one that has at least four attachment points. 

R&G Radiator Guard 2.jpg

I have one of these fitted to my 2017 Tracer since buying the bike from new and its still ok

• Supporting Member

Took her out for a run after rad guard install and she had more power..... Oops I was in A mode. She's at 80 miles and i'm still learning  😁

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Reduced airflow is definitely a consideration I have been pondering on. Does anyone have an info on changes to running temps after fitting a rad guard. Here in Australia we can get some pretty hot days. Have only had the Tracer for two months so haven't encountered a summer yet. Runs at 70degrees, 69 on a cool day. 

cheers

Peter

On 7/19/2020 at 6:08 AM, nhchris said:

Hey guys,

Do any of you folks notice reduced cooling due to diminished air flow with a rad guard in place?

I have never read / heard of a radiator puncture or damage on a street-only Tracer.  With a front fender extender I don't see how the radiator could be hit by anything the front tire kicks up.

Has anyone had radiator damage on one of these bikes?

theres always some good size bugs stuck to it  after a long ride ,instead of a bug I suppose it could be something eles that may cause damage ,,pretty cheep insurance if you ask me

4 hours ago, andre12a said:

Is the radiator guard the same for the Tracer and the MT-09.

cheers

Peter

The radiator is the same part # 2PP-12461-00-00 for MT-09 and Tracer GT so it should be a perfect fit. I use Partzilla to compare. This link should take you to their page. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2020/mt09-mt09lgy/radiator-hose

Edited by RandyN