frame protection

On 6/30/2020 at 5:41 AM, WKE002 said:

Here come looking for engine slider, dun want the bar type as most often it cause more damage with the metal bend during impac and bulky as seen a few tracer. 

not much choice or maybe did not look deep enuf. Found r&g which so far lead me back to them. There is a brand OES and feel the price is reasonable for 4 but due to COVID , they don’t ship international. Puig r12, sw mototech is what I came across, anyone using other than these brand or how is R&G  cp0345 and cp0355. 

I had r&g on my triumph previously. 

The Givi/Kappa bars shown aren't going to cause more damage than the little engine sliders do, no way, not in any circumstance.  

The little engine sliders only help vs. sliding, not impacts.  Any side on impact is going to smash the sliders *through* the cases (though it would have smashed the cases anyways), whereas the bars shown will take a fairly substantial impact.  They're *extremely* sturdy, falling down is not going to bend them significantly, and as they're attached midway up and at the base, there is little leverage for that to be a concern.  Any impact hard enough to bend them in is going to write off the bike, no questions asked.  

Now, I totally get not liking the appearance/bulk (though they're really not particularly bulky - see @jdavis's pic above, or mine here: 20200322_150223.thumb.jpg.014014000bc8ec0c4530d9cb5d5dc935.jpg

But, unquestionably, they're way, way better at protecting your engine and plastics.  If laid right over, it's panniers+crash bars+bar ends.  Well, and signals, of course.20191107_085300.thumb.jpg.a1bbaa55a7398d1b998e691f00bb7f2d.jpg

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 6/10/2020 at 8:52 PM, silverninja said:

I had the SW-MOTECH crash bars and lowsided on the left side at about 35mph.  The good: No major plastic or metal was touched on the top end, just the bar end and and clutch lever had a minor rash.  The bad:  The engine case was toast.  I bought secondary guards for the engine cases after that.

Thanks for that.  Confirmed what I was thinking, too.  Sliders instead of bars.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Thanks Winterdark, now looking at GIVI pic, it does not really look bulky in my eyes! i personally saw 2 tracer installed the bar and it looks bulky, likely its a local made or from China = bulkyness.  Shucks...should have posed these questions earlier and not rushing to order the R&G which could be better spend on the front and rear fork protector and for engine = GIVI.  My Bad.  

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2020 at 8:43 PM, Wintersdark said:

The linked givi engine bars run down under the footpegs and protect the lower cases.

I have the GIvi engine guards and I like them fine. Bike tipped over in the garage without incident. 

One note, however: because they run under the foot peg, I sometimes try to put my foot on the brake and my foot hits the engine guard first, and I have to move my foot slightly to reach the brake. This can be a bit unnerving in a quick stop. Of course, the more I ride with them the more comfortable I have become, but the first time I did it was kind of scary. For a second I thought the brake lever was stuck! 

• Thumbsup 2

On 6/30/2020 at 12:41 PM, WKE002 said:

Here come looking for engine slider, dun want the bar type as most often it cause more damage with the metal bend during impac and bulky as seen a few tracer. 

not much choice or maybe did not look deep enuf. Found r&g which so far lead me back to them. There is a brand OES and feel the price is reasonable for 4 but due to COVID , they don’t ship international. Puig r12, sw mototech is what I came across, anyone using other than these brand or how is R&G  cp0345 and cp0355. 

I had r&g on my triumph previously. 

Engine bars are ugly, heavy and can cause damage in an impact. The small original Yamaha sliders are great, and although stupidly expensive, they protect the engine cases really well without the bulk of guards. 

• Thumbsup 2

11 hours ago, Tripletrouble said:

Engine bars are ugly, heavy and can cause damage in an impact. The small original Yamaha sliders are great, and although stupidly expensive, they protect the engine cases really well without the bulk of guards. 

Ugly and heavy, sure.  Heavy is fact, ugly is subjective.

But.

Cause damage in an accident?  No.  Not these.  That's just silly.

If you're hit laterally so hard the crash bars themselves damage something, then whatever hit the side of your bike would have trashed it anyways.  

Without bars, simply tipping over gently and sliding will trash the engine covers.  Sliders ON the engine covers are worse than bars, in that there's no give - an impact can bend the bars into say the clutch cover, but there's a fair bit of gap before it actually hits.  Any impact that would bend the bars would push a slider *into* the clutch cover, as it's way, way softer than the bars.

16 hours ago, catlanta said:

I have the GIvi engine guards and I like them fine. Bike tipped over in the garage without incident. 

One note, however: because they run under the foot peg, I sometimes try to put my foot on the brake and my foot hits the engine guard first, and I have to move my foot slightly to reach the brake. This can be a bit unnerving in a quick stop. Of course, the more I ride with them the more comfortable I have become, but the first time I did it was kind of scary. For a second I thought the brake lever was stuck! 

Hah that happened to me a couple times when mine where new, but I just moved my feet back a bit.  Not really terribly important as in an emergency stop where you need maximum braking your going to lift the rear anyways.

• Supporting Member

I have always avoided engine/frame crash bars on road bikes as they can create vibration problems. I have them on my KLR650 (Sw-Motech) and they did change the vibration level on the bike. On the GT I went with the over priced Yamaha guards and R&G case engine case cover set. More than enough protection for a bike that stays on the road. 

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

20 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

I have always avoided engine/frame crash bars on road bikes as they can create vibration problems. I have them on my KLR650 (Sw-Motech) and they did change the vibration level on the bike. On the GT I went with the over priced Yamaha guards and R&G case engine case cover set. More than enough protection for a bike that stays on the road. 

I had a set of frame sliders (crash bungs in the UK) on my ZX14 when I went down on a low side after a kind gentleman decided to do a u-turn in front of me. The slider snapped off and therefore wrote the bike off because it compromised the frame (they attached to the engine mount). These were high-end Spiegler sliders from Germany. Since then I have wary of this type of protection.

@roadrash83 any chance you can post up a pic or two of the Yamaha frame protectors what they look like on the bike? They sure are pricey at over $300 CAD!

Cheers,

Rob 

11 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Ugly and heavy, sure.  Heavy is fact, ugly is subjective.

But.

Cause damage in an accident?  No.  Not these.  That's just silly.

If you're hit laterally so hard the crash bars themselves damage something, then whatever hit the side of your bike would have trashed it anyways.  

Without bars, simply tipping over gently and sliding will trash the engine covers.  Sliders ON the engine covers are worse than bars, in that there's no give - an impact can bend the bars into say the clutch cover, but there's a fair bit of gap before it actually hits.  Any impact that would bend the bars would push a slider *into* the clutch cover, as it's way, way softer than the bars.

I get your viewpoint, and yes it’s beauty in the eye of the beholder. My mate thinks his gs looks gorgeous😱 haha. However, engine bars stick out and can ‘catch’ when sliding; and yes they can bend and break causing damage, I’ve seen it. Yamaha protectors are really sliders. If you throw your bike up the road they let the bike slide absorbing the impact. Unless you get side swiped by a car or high side there is not the side impact you imagine. I think there are pros and cons to both, neither are perfect, but if you have such a side impact to bust a case with the sliders,, then you’ve probably got better things to worry about than a piece of metal. I.E. your legs, which can’t be renewed by your dealer. Well, not yet. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

I had a set of frame sliders (crash bungs in the UK) on my ZX14 when I went down on a low side after a kind gentleman decided to do a u-turn in front of me. The slider snapped off and therefore wrote the bike off because it compromised the frame (they attached to the engine mount). These were high-end Spiegler sliders from Germany. Since then I have wary of this type of protection.

@roadrash83 any chance you can post up a pic or two of the Yamaha frame protectors what they look like on the bike? They sure are pricey at over $300 CAD!

Cheers,

Rob 

Sorry, I'm not very good at getting pictures to post. But it looks like Yamaha is not offering them any more, I could not find them on there web site.

27 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

Sorry, I'm not very good at getting pictures to post. But it looks like Yamaha is not offering them any more, I could not find them on there web site.

@roadrash83 - are these the ones you have?

They are still listed on Yamaha Canada's site, but I can't add them to my cart - blast!

Rob

can check out SW MOTECH sliders, looks the same like the yamaha one. 

I guess there are 2 side of a coin to bar or sliders and an unfortunate one, its not everyday we get feedback someone drop/crash and share story as much as say a windshield. Guess both offered a certain protection, as for me, i choose sliders as dun like the bulky of bar and my main concern is bike drop, that i cant claim insurance which obvious a bar will give better protection in this case. already had the R&G CP0355 and now thinking if should also get CP0354 or go for bar which i dislike. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

@roadrash83 - are these the ones you have?

They are still listed on Yamaha Canada's site, but I can't add them to my cart - blast!

Rob

No they are not. Those might be the new version. You can PM me with your cellphone number and I will send you some pictures.

• Thumbsup 1

Just in case I’ve been misleading people, my posts referred to engine case sliders, as pic below, not frame sliders. Apologies for any confusion. I covered the alloy plate on mine with carbon wrap for a stealth look that kinda matches the faux carbon tank panels. Laying the bike over, the handlebars and sliders are the only things touching the ground. 

83AADB95-6442-4958-8800-298BCA88CD81.jpeg

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Thumbsup 2