Sign in to follow this  
phats22

frame protection

On 6/30/2020 at 5:41 AM, WKE002 said:

Here come looking for engine slider, dun want the bar type as most often it cause more damage with the metal bend during impac and bulky as seen a few tracer. 

not much choice or maybe did not look deep enuf. Found r&g which so far lead me back to them. There is a brand OES and feel the price is reasonable for 4 but due to COVID , they don’t ship international. Puig r12, sw mototech is what I came across, anyone using other than these brand or how is R&G  cp0345 and cp0355. 

I had r&g on my triumph previously. 

The Givi/Kappa bars shown aren't going to cause more damage than the little engine sliders do, no way, not in any circumstance.  

The little engine sliders only help vs. sliding, not impacts.  Any side on impact is going to smash the sliders *through* the cases (though it would have smashed the cases anyways), whereas the bars shown will take a fairly substantial impact.  They're *extremely* sturdy, falling down is not going to bend them significantly, and as they're attached midway up and at the base, there is little leverage for that to be a concern.  Any impact hard enough to bend them in is going to write off the bike, no questions asked.  

Now, I totally get not liking the appearance/bulk (though they're really not particularly bulky - see @jdavis's pic above, or mine here: 20200322_150223.thumb.jpg.014014000bc8ec0c4530d9cb5d5dc935.jpg

But, unquestionably, they're way, way better at protecting your engine and plastics.  If laid right over, it's panniers+crash bars+bar ends.  Well, and signals, of course.20191107_085300.thumb.jpg.a1bbaa55a7398d1b998e691f00bb7f2d.jpg

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 2

On 6/10/2020 at 8:52 PM, silverninja said:

I had the SW-MOTECH crash bars and lowsided on the left side at about 35mph.  The good: No major plastic or metal was touched on the top end, just the bar end and and clutch lever had a minor rash.  The bad:  The engine case was toast.  I bought secondary guards for the engine cases after that.

Thanks for that.  Confirmed what I was thinking, too.  Sliders instead of bars.

2015 red FJ-09 / touring bags / oil plug mod

Dang it @Wintersdark, you make great points too.

Back to the drawing board

2015 red FJ-09 / touring bags / oil plug mod

Thanks Winterdark, now looking at GIVI pic, it does not really look bulky in my eyes! i personally saw 2 tracer installed the bar and it looks bulky, likely its a local made or from China = bulkyness.  Shucks...should have posed these questions earlier and not rushing to order the R&G which could be better spend on the front and rear fork protector and for engine = GIVI.  My Bad.