New from Mexico & Canada

JimV8

Hi everybody.  I joined to learn from folks who know the bike as I’m looking to get a motorcycle and the Tracer is on the radar screen.  Current situation excepted I found my path in retirement and by most metrics an old guy, sheer good luck, genetics and a bit of work has me in the best shape of my life.  
Ive found a great little village on the Pacific coast of Mexico to spend winters and this is my second year here and learned the country is great for biking, especially an adventure type with lots of suspension. Distances to interesting places tend to measured by hours so riding comfort matters, also it’s a 2500 mile ride between winter and summer homes so highway comfort isn’t trivial. Most of the Mexican roads are 2 lane paved and many are twisty. A definite on my list is the Copper Canyon which is Grand Canyon size and roads range from narrow paved sheer drops paved to graded trails.

My screen name is V8 and that due to a liking of power and speed.  My 4 wheel rides are Jeep YJ, BRP Outlander, F250 7.3 and Porsche 968 with an LS1. My two wheelers are 8 bicycles, some road, some trail.

Through On-line searches I’ve learned that 3 motorcycles fit the riding profile, Wee Strom, Kawi Versys 650 and Tracer.

I haven’t ridden a motorcycle in years so I need a license and a riding course is a must. Also I have a family issue to overcome and that’s because I lost my brother 4 years ago when he died when a car drove into him. An elderly man who was off his meds blackout and went into him head on. Death was nearly instant and it’s left a big hole in our souls so I worry about how my bike riding is going be accepted so there’s that too. I figure each of the 3 bikes have ABS, (Traction) features for best safety available in 2 wheeling.

So I’ll spend time lurking the forum to see what I can learn and if you have an insight I’d like to learn from you.

Edited by JimV8
Spellig
  • Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member

Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your brother; a tragedy like that always changes us. But also remember the good ways your brother's life changed you.

This being a FJ-09/Tracer forum you would expect us to of course recommend the Tracer. But to be completely honest, the Tracer is not an adventure bike. It is a sport touring bike with an upright riding position. The Tracer would definitely not be my first choice for Copper Canyon. The Versys 650 probably isn't any better. 

Yes, there are people here who have converted their Tracers into adventure bikes, but it was a lot of work and $$$.

The Wee Strom 650 seems like the best choice of the three you listed. I would also look at a Triumph Tiger 800 and BMW F850GS. There are also the Honda Africa Twin and Super Tenere, but those are both larger and probably not be ideal for a re-entry rider. Yamaha has the new Tenere 700, but I don't think it has traction control and who knows when (or if) we'll ever see it in North America. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

This being a FJ-09/Tracer forum you would expect us to of course recommend the Tracer. But to be completely honest, the Tracer is not an adventure bike. It is a sport touring bike with an upright riding position. The Tracer would definitely not be my first choice for Copper Canyon. The Versys 650 probably isn't any better. 

Yes, there are people here who have converted their Tracers into adventure bikes, but it was a lot of work and $$$.

Agreed, the Tracer has an upright riding position but that's where the 'adventure bike' comparisons stop.

@JimV8 - Since you were asking about an adventure bike, I assume you will spending some amount of your riding off road.  The Tracer just doesn't have the ground clearance, believe it or not it is within a few millimeters of both an R1 and a Goldwing!   Relatively smooth forest roads at a moderate speed once in a while are one thing but if you are needing long travel suspension for rocks and holes then an actual adventure bike would be worth looking into.

You are in an interesting dilemma since you will be riding from Canada to Mexico, so it has to be comfortable for the long haul yet still offroad worthy.  Once you get to Mexico for the Winter, I am assuming that the bike will be your sole source of transportation?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I expect my dirt riding days are behind me and I doubt that I’d want to tackle the trails on the bottom of the canyon as much fun as that looks. So my riding down here would mostly be 2 lane blacktop with some dirt roads and cobbles and broken roads tossed into the mix.  Mexican roads offers up interesting surprises with a lot of speed bumps so I figured plenty of suspension travel is a good idea.  The Virus does open up lots of study time and as pointed out the drive getting here is 2500 mi one way so long hours in the saddle. So darnedest thing my attention now has moved to the GSX1250fa. It’s about 100 lbs more than a WeeStrom and 150 more than Tracer and less fuel range. On the plus the engine and ride suits my style and the ride is upright and very comfortable.  There’s a long way to go and if I live through this I’m fully a year and a half from doing this as I decided this week to hunker down here until May of 2021.

Thanks for your interest. Here’s some Copper Canyon riding.

https://youtu.be/pB8uiU5v6XM

Edited by JimV8
More info
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@JimV8 - Welcome!   It sounds like you have some time, so definitely look around and consider all the options...  the FJ/Tracer is a great all-around bike, and the motor is an absolute jewel, but it’s off road capabilities are fairly limited.   I’ve heard great things about the liquid-cooled Bandits, too...  if that appeals to you, go check one out.  

Now, tell me a bit more about that LS-motored 968...  Sounds like my kind of project.  

The madness started when I was out in my 944, which fit me like a glove and the handling  was magic and I was outdragged by an explorer filled with a family. That was unacceptable and was 12 years ago.  So I looked at air cooled and right up to 964s and they don’t fit my 6’1 long legged frame so I thought a 951 (turbo’d 944) might do. Well, they go like stink but tend to need lots of TLC  and I then I heard about a guy that dropped an LS into a 968 so I did that.  I bought a roller in NJ and trailered it to Toronto and set about gathering the bits and pieces. Along the way I got to ride along in a 2002 Z06 around Mosport and was mightily impressed with the engine but also realized the 968 was going to need bigger brakes and better suspension too. So I collected that stuff too.  I figured missing a shift now and then was likely so The LS was bulletproofed top and bottom for high revs. The heads are 243s with PAC racing springs, Titanium retainers and sodium filled exhaust stems, intake is LS6, headers are by Kooks. I have 2 buldging file folders of receipts and Im scared to add it all up cuz I know it’s going to be a lot. Here’s a neat pic of the underside.

FA0A03E0-B750-41FD-A7D8-A44597F7E669.jpeg

Edited by JimV8
  • Like 3

• Supporting Member

@JimV8 - Sweet!   I love projects like this, and it sounds like you’ve done it right...  very nice.   

I remember seeing a similar build a couple of years ago, and thinking it was a really slick package.  I’ve built a few engine-swapped hybrids over the years (mostly bikes; a couple of cars), but they’ve been a bit more low-brow than what you’ve executed.   I’m a bit jealous...  

• 2 months later...

I got an FJ09 few weeks ago from a guy that sold it cause he want to travel, I love this bike but is not a gentle bike the FJ09 is more sport than anything else, thats why that guy sold it because is to agreesive for him.... Im not an offroad guy and once a said that im looking for more ground clearance I may get some stuff from lust racing I used that on my supertenere (suspension bones) and I will look maybe for something for the front suspension, for my needs the supertenere is to bulky and heavy the FJ09 is the perfect size but the ground clearance is to low,