Clutch Cable Routing.

getpetey

So I decided to update the clutch cable on my 2015 FJ-09 today. Everything went fairly well and had everything back together and adjusted and as I was looking over the job,  On the left side of the engine I started wondering if I had routed the clutch cable incorrectly. Can anybody confirm if the clutch cable in the foreground is supposed to be behind the coolant hose? I know I know, should’ve took a picture first! LOL Thanks in advance.  

3C20FAA8-B748-4C45-B38A-1CA7814A45E2.jpeg

• Supporting Member

Hi @getpetey - On today’s episode of Things You May Not Want To See: 

05049F95-9CD8-4504-AF49-F2BBD3AF63C6.thumb.jpeg.75864b6e3908c6cc19b41c8caa4422b5.jpeg

I replaced mine by tying the new cable to the old cable, and pulling it through from the top, so I’m pretty sure this is the correct factory routing.    

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Hi @getpetey - On today’s episode of Things You May Not Want To See: 

05049F95-9CD8-4504-AF49-F2BBD3AF63C6.thumb.jpeg.75864b6e3908c6cc19b41c8caa4422b5.jpeg

I replaced mine by tying the new cable to the old cable, and pulling it through from the top, so I’m pretty sure this is the correct factory routing.    

Dammit!  

@texscottyd, thank you for your response. Another beer and 25 minutes, good to go. Glad I caught it! 

22355761-40A0-4629-8D95-B93EB8BD51B7.jpeg

Edited by getpetey
  • Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Same here. Tied the new to the old and pulled it through. My stock cable has not 1 cable thread on it broke so I put it up as a spare. 

• Thumbsup 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

26 minutes ago, tktplz said:

Same here. Tied the new to the old and pulled it through. My stock cable has not 1 cable thread on it broke so I put it up as a spare. 

I just sized it up and fished it through, incorrectly at first however. Lol. Live, ask for help and learn!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, getpetey said:

ask for help and learn!

A lesson I learned early in my life. Most men have problems with this but I haven't. I even ask for directions.....but now I have GPS, LOL!

• Haha 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Mine on my 2015 is on top.  Looks exactly like your picture.  I'd leave it alone.  I bought my bike one year old with 2800 miles on it and I suspect there was no reason for the original owner to replace the cable that soon.  I have been carrying a spare for about three years after I read about breaking issues.  My bike now has 41300 miles on the original cable.  Good luck.  BTW did yours break?

10 hours ago, unicycle52 said:

Mine on my 2015 is on top.  Looks exactly like your picture.  I'd leave it alone.  I bought my bike one year old with 2800 miles on it and I suspect there was no reason for the original owner to replace the cable that soon.  I have been carrying a spare for about three years after I read about breaking issues.  My bike now has 41300 miles on the original cable.  Good luck.  BTW did yours break?

It seemed that the clutch cable was actually deflecting the larger hose (which I found out is for the air induction hose) out of the position that it seemed to want to sit. I rerouted it behind and seems much better. 

The old cable hadn’t snapped. I just had the new one and some time so I decided to do the job. There had been no signs of wear on the old cable, but there’s only about 6000km on the bike. (I picked it up on Oct of 2018 with under 2000km on it)

• Premium Member
On 4/18/2020 at 8:19 PM, unicycle52 said:

I have been carrying a spare for about three years after I read about breaking issues.  My bike now has 41300 miles on the original cable.  

Carrying a spare is the best way to ensure the cable never breaks! Rain gear and tire repair kits work the same way.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

I was working on the bike this weekend and want to rescind my comment about the cable location being on top from the factory.  It dawned on me that I had a valve adjustment done at one point.  I suspect that the cable was originally behind (under) the breather hose on mine as well. and when the airbox was re-installed after the valve adjustment the breather hose was mis-routed UNDER the clutch cable.  I had the airbox out this weekend and upon installing it, the logical location for the hose was OVER the clutch cable.  

• Thumbsup 2

18 hours ago, unicycle52 said:

I was working on the bike this weekend and want to rescind my comment about the cable location being on top from the factory.  It dawned on me that I had a valve adjustment done at one point.  I suspect that the cable was originally behind (under) the breather hose on mine as well. and when the airbox was re-installed after the valve adjustment the breather hose was mis-routed UNDER the clutch cable.  I had the airbox out this weekend and upon installing it, the logical location for the hose was OVER the clutch cable.  

Hmmm, good catch! Did you notice any wear occurring? 

I had the old cable disconnected on both ends and did a careful examination.  Pulling it slowly to see if it was dragging and pulling the top end out as far as possible.  It functioned perfectly and showed no sign of wear or damage.  So I lubed it (for the first time in 41K miles) and reconnected it.   "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  I'll continue to carry the new one as a spare.  (I did throw in a 4' piece of electrical wire to use as a "fish-snake" to make pulling out the old and pulling in the new cable easier should I ever have to change it on the road.) 

• Thumbsup 1