New Tracer GT owner researching seat options

I just finished 500 miles Friday/Saturday, now I have 1800 miles on my bike. If that doesn't tell you something about the yamaha comfort seat... Im going for another 200+ here in about 45 mins. My bum is no longer the limiting factor, my right thumb is.

Fantastic seat, if you haven't, i would take a look at it. My only caveat is if you are under 200lbs, I think you will find the seat too firm.

2 hours ago, showmerider said:

GP46: I could take some pictures but they would look the same as the ones that Wordsmith posted on his writeup on the Bagster seat. As for now, I would say it doesn't help with the pain in the tailbone, but like I said and to Wordsmith's point, I have only gone 45 miles on it. I hope to get out and ride some more this week while I'm off work.

quaxom: I ride with mine in the high position, as I have fairly long legs and a shorter torso, lol.

Wordsmith: I will be riding some more and hoping for it to get more comfortable, I was just hoping for your "Love at first sit", but it does look very nice on the bike. 

You might wanna try the low position. I was told apparently it helps with the sloping abit.

Edited by quaxum

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, quaxum said:

You might wanna try the low position. I was told apparently it helps with the sloping abit.

There shouldn't be any difference whatsoever in the slope between low and high position.  When you move the seat height adapter plate from low to high position, the seat is just sitting on a different 'step' of that plate.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Always have in mind what's between you and the seat, one set of textile trousers I had got binned years ago because I would only get about half the milage in before I became a bit uncomfortable than the second pair I usually used. On a tour round Ireland a few years ago a riding buddy stopped to but a pair of cycling shorts to put on under his textiles because the seam on the boxer shorts he had packed for his trip was giving him issues. We still wind him up about that. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

Always have in mind what's between you and the seat, one set of textile trousers I had got binned years ago because I would only get about half the milage in before I became a bit uncomfortable than the second pair I usually used. On a tour round Ireland a few years ago a riding buddy stopped to but a pair of cycling shorts to put on under his textiles because the seam on the boxer shorts he had packed for his trip was giving him issues. We still wind him up about that. 

Absolutely true, underwear or shorts can make a huge difference in comfort and it goes without saying that jeans can be the most uncomfortable with the thick seams.  I usually ride in mid-thigh length boxer briefs or spandex/lycra cycling shorts with minimal seams.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Same story here.   Long ago I started wearing waist-to-top-of-knee spandex-type compression shorts, to keep the flesh of my butt and upper thighs nicely under control in a way that conventional jox or boxer shorts do not.   No more chafing, and they add greatly to on-the-bike comfort.   VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!   Unlike the ones below...!

image.png.9bd5e836cb10b33f5cc121b8022d89b5.png

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I received my Bagster seat and it is definitely more comfortable than stock, but I found it still had the forward lean so I modified it ever so slightly to drop the rear portion about 1/2 an inch...much better now.

• Thumbsup 1

I didn't see Seth Laam mentioned in the thread, so I'll throw his name in the mix. He did my saddle on my touring bike, so when I got my fj-09 the first mod I did was to have Seth build a saddle for it. His work is spot on.  

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

On 5/2/2020 at 9:45 AM, quaxum said:

Chromeburner has 10% off on bagster for the whole of may.

Heads up!

do check it out!

That figures as i purchased mine at the end of April.

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

I took my Tracer out yesterday for the maiden voyage on my new Bagster seat. The first thing i noticed was that the seat height seemed lower. With the stock seat (and my previous FJ-09) i always rode with it in the low position so that's how i installed the Bagster. I could actually flatfoot on both sides of the bike which i could not before. I thought the foam could be cut differently on the sides which it may be, but as i got to riding i noticed i felt closer to the foot pegs. There is still some slight forward lean but i would say it's reduced at least by half of the stock seat. I rode it like that for about 50 miles.

After i re-fueled i decided to try it in the high position. Turns out that was just what i needed to reduce some of the bend at my knees. I can still half foot the bike as i could before with the stock seat in the low position and ride very comfortably. I rode like that for the next 100 miles and had no issues. Overall i am very pleased with the Bagster seat in both appearance and comfort.

I found the talk about underwear very interesting and never gave it much thought. Yesterday i was wearing thin boxers so i could probably find more comfort in an actual cycling short of some kind. 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

Great day to ride in the Syracuse area yesterday wasn't it metallion?  I'm not far away, I live between Auburn and Weedsport.  As for on-topic discussion, I just ordered this without the heat.  They said 4 to 5 weeks:image.thumb.png.3c44d726e896d1b765e1eb6fc6fe0aff.png

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Hi guys, I probably don’t belong here yet.  I’m trying to decide between an MT09 and the Tracer GT.  I was able to briefly ride a 2019 MT and felt the forward lean right away.  Felt like I had to scootch back as someone else mentioned.  I was able to only sit on the Tracer and I thought it didn’t have the same issue.  Does anyone have experience on both to be able to compare?  Is the MT more forward than Trader?  About the same? Etc...  btw the reason that I’m torn is bc I feel like the Tracer would still be quite fun and sporty to ride (especially with bags off) but allow for some of those amenities when you want them.  Thanks 

8 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I feel like the Tracer would still be quite fun and sporty to ride (especially with bags off) but allow for some of those amenities when you want them.

This is why I bought mine, 2000 miles has confirmed my suspicions.

Edited by kilo3

14 hours ago, Jfundo said:

Great day to ride in the Syracuse area yesterday wasn't it metallion?  I'm not far away, I live between Auburn and Weedsport.  As for on-topic discussion, I just ordered this without the heat.  They said 4 to 5 weeks:image.thumb.png.3c44d726e896d1b765e1eb6fc6fe0aff.png

Yes it was Jfundo. We finally got some warm weather this past weekend but now back in the freezer for a while. Got to ride my XSR900 Saturday and my Tracer GT on Sunday. I rode through Auburn on Sunday to get out near Seneca Falls to catch 90 south.

That's a nice seat, i was close to ordering one myself but was worried it may be too tall for me. Where did you order it from? Jim's Motorsports on RT34 between Weedsport and Cato is a Corbin dealer. That's where i ordered my Corbin for my XSR. Better price than internet.